Jagapathi Babu (pronunciation (help·info); born Veeramachaneni Jagapathirao Chowdary) is an Indian film actor known for his works predominantly in Telugu cinema in addition to a few Tamil and Malayalam films. In a career spanning 31 years, Jagapathi Babu has starred in over 120 feature films, and has received 4 Filmfare Awards and 7 state Nandi Awards.
Jagapathi Babu at the 62nd Filmfare Awards South ceremony
February 12, 1962
|Other names||JB, Jaggu|
|Parent(s)||V. B. Rajendra Prasad (father)|
He received the Kala Bhushana Award, for his contribution to cinema, by TSR Lalitha kala Parishat. He has worked with noted directors like S.V. Krishna Reddy, Ram Gopal Varma, Krishna Vamsi, E. V. V. Satyanarayana, Guna Sekhar, Chandra Sekhar Yeleti, A. M. Rathnam, K. Raghavendra Rao, Radha Mohan, M. Raja, and J. D. Chakravarthy.
Jagapathi Babu (originally named as Jagapathi Rao) was born in Machilipatnam to veteran producer-director V. B. Rajendra Prasad. He was brought up in Chennai, Tamil Nadu before making a mark in Tollywood.
Jagapathi Babu made his debut in Telugu with the movie Simha Swapnam(1989) which was produced by his father and directed by V. Madhusudhan Rao. His first blockbuster film is Peddarikam released in 1992. He had his breakthrough in the form of Gaayam directed by Ram Gopal Varma in the year 1993. In 1994, with the super hit film Subha Lagnam, he reached family audience and also established his star status. He won the Nandi Award for Best Actor in 1996 for his role in the movie Maavichiguru directed by S V Krishna Reddy. 1997 saw runway hit films like Subhakankshalu & Pelli Pandiri. In 1998, he won the Nandi Award for Best Supporting Actor for the film Antahpuram. In 2000, he won the Nandi Best Actor Award for his performance in the thriller Manoharam. In 2003–05, he did runway hit films like Kabaddi Kabaddi, Athade Oka Sainyam, Pedababu and Anukokunda Oka Roju. In 2006 he appeared in Samanyudu and Pellaina Kothalo. He received the Nandi Best Supporting Actor Award for the second time in the year 2007 for his role in the movie Lakshyam & he won Filmfare also.
His first Tamil was Madrasi, and in 2012, he appeared as the antagonist in Tamil film Thaandavam. Subsequently, he played the lead role in Jai Bolo Telangana, which won five Nandi Awards. In 2012, he debuted in the Kannada film Bachchan as a cop, which featured Sudeep in the lead role. In 2013, Jagapathi Babu returned to the Tamil film industry with Puthagam. His next movie was Legend in 2014 where he played the antagonist against Nandamuri Balakrishna .
His performance in Legend was praised by many and he won quite a few awards as best villain. From here, his career turned around and he started to bag good supporting roles. In the same year, he acted as villain opposite Rajinikanthin Lingaa. In 2015, he played Mahesh Babu's father in Srimanthudu. In 2016, he played an antagonist in Jr. NTR's Nannaku Prematho. He played antagonist in Ism and Jaguar. He played villain opposite Mohanlal in Pulimurugan. In 2017, he played Naga Chaitanya's father in Rarandoi Veduka Chudham. He played a villain in the movie Rangasthalam which was a Super Hit movie. He also played antagonist in Ravi Teja's movie Nela Ticket. In 2018, he played an antagonist in Goodachari, which became a sleeper hit.He played an antagonist in Jr. NTR's Aravinda Sametha Veera Raghava. His performance was praised by many. He acted as an antagonist in the movie Maharshi. He had an important role in Sye Raa Narasimha Reddy.
- 2007 - Best Supporting Actor - Lakshyam
- 2014 - Best Supporting Actor - Legend
- 2016 - Best Supporting Actor -Nannaku Prematho
- 2018 - Best Supporting Actor - Aravinda Sametha Veera Raghava
- 2019 - Best Supporting Actor - Rangasthalam
- 1989 - Special Jury - Adavilo Abhimanyudu
- 1993 - Best Actor - Gaayam
- 1996 - Best Actor -Maavichiguru
- 1998 - Best Supporting Actor - Antahpuram
- 2000 - Best Actor - Manoharam
- 2007 - Best Supporting Actor - Lakshyam
- 2014 - Best Villain - Legend
- 2015 - Best Villain - Legend
- 2017 - Best Villain - Nannaku Prematho
- 2017 - Special Jury Award - Pulimurugan
- 2015 - Best Supporting Actor - Srimanthudu
- 2016-Best Actor in a Negative Role -Nannaku Prematho
- 2017-Best Actor in a Negative Role -Pulimurugan
- "Jagapathi Babu in Vikram's next - The Hindu". Archived from the original on 14 June 2013. Retrieved 23 March 2013.
- "TSR LKP award for Jagapathi Babu - The Hindu". Archived from the original on 18 March 2016. Retrieved 23 March 2013.
- Jagapati babu gets Kala Bhushana..!! Famlily hero awarded Kala Bhushana!! Archived 10 January 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- The Hindu : Andhra Pradesh / Visakhapatnam News : Adhineta inspired me, says Jagapathi Babu
- "'I could not make a good movie for my son' - The Hindu". Archived from the original on 20 September 2013. Retrieved 23 March 2013.
- "Title". TeluguCinema. Archived from the original on 11 February 2015.
- "Winners list: 62nd Britannia Filmfare Awards (South)". The Times of India. 27 June 2015. Archived from the original on 27 June 2015. Retrieved 27 June 2015.