Field hockey at the 2008 Summer Olympics
Field hockey at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing was held over a fourteen-day period beginning on 10 August, and culminating with the medal finals on 22 and 23 August. All games were played at the hockey field constructed on the Olympic Green.
at the Games of the XXIX Olympiad
|Venue||Olympic Green Hockey Field|
Twelve teams competed in both the men's and women's Olympic hockey tournaments with the competition consisting of two rounds. In the first round, teams were divided into two pools of six teams, and play followed round robin format with each of the teams playing all other teams in the pool once. Teams were awarded three points for a win, one point for a draw and zero points for a loss. At the end of the pool matches, teams were ranked in their pool according to the following criteria in order:
- Total points accumulated
- Number of matches won
- Goal difference
- Goals for
- The result of the match played between the teams in question
Following the completion of the pool games, teams placing first and second in each pool advanced to a single elimination round consisting of two semifinal games, and the bronze and gold medal games. Remaining teams competed in classification matches to determine their ranking in the tournament. During these matches, extra time of 7½ minutes per half was played if teams were tied at the end of regulation time. During extra time, play followed golden goal rules with the first team to score declared the winner. If no goals were scored during extra time, a penalty stroke competition took place.
|Field hockey at the 2008 Summer Olympics|
|Round robin matches||Classification matches||W||Medal games - Women||M||Medal games - Men|
- "Hockey - Beijing Olympics 2008". en.beijing2008.cn. Archived from the original on 20 August 2008. Retrieved 21 August 2008.
- "Hockey at the 2008 Beijing Summer Games". Sports Reference. Retrieved 21 October 2019.
- XXIXth Olympic Games Tournament Regulations - Men's and Women's Hockey Competitions
- "Olympic Hockey Tournament Match Schedule released". fihockey.org. Retrieved 21 August 2008.
- "Match schedule" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 19 May 2011. Retrieved 21 August 2008.
- FIH releases pools for Men’s Olympic Hockey Tournament[permanent dead link]
- FIH releases pools for Women’s Olympic Hockey Tournament