International Hockey Federation
The Fédération Internationale de Hockey (English: International Hockey Federation), commonly known by the acronym FIH, is the international governing body of field hockey and indoor field hockey. Its headquarters are in Lausanne, Switzerland and the president is Narinder Batra. FIH is responsible for field hockey's major international tournaments, notably the World Cup.
|Motto||FairPlay Friendship Forever|
|Formation||7 January 1924|
|Type||Federation of national associations|
|137 national associations|
|Affiliations||International Olympic Committee|
FIH was founded on 7 January 1924 in Paris by Paul Léautey, who became the first president, in response to field hockey's omission from the programme of the 1924 Summer Olympics. First members complete to join the seven founding members were Austria, Belgium, Czechoslovakia, France, Hungary, Spain and Switzerland.
In 1982, the FIH merged with the International Federation of Women's Hockey Associations (IFWHA), which had been founded in 1927 by Australia, Denmark, England, Ireland, Scotland, South Africa, the United States and Wales.
In total, there are 138 member associations within the five confederations recognised by FIH. This includes Great Britain which is recognised as an adherent member of FIH, the team was represented at the Olympics and the Champions Trophy. England, Scotland and Wales are also represented by separate teams in FIH sanctioned tournaments.
- AFHF – African Hockey Federation
- ASHF – Asian Hockey Federation
- EHF – European Hockey Federation
- OHF – Oceania Hockey Federation
- PAHF – Pan American Hockey Federation
The FIH World Rankings was updated once after the major tournament finished, based on FIH sanction tournaments.
Recognition and awardsEdit
The Player of the Year Awards have been given annually since 1998 for men and women, while the young category was added in 2001 to honour the best performances for junior players (under 21).
Another award, the "Honorary Award", was given to people who have made outstanding contributions to field hockey.
- Hockey World Cup
- Women's Hockey World Cup
- Hockey Junior World Cup
- Women's Hockey Junior World Cup
- Olympic Games in cooperation with International Olympic Committee
- Youth Olympic Games in cooperation with International Olympic Committee
- Men's FIH Pro League
- Women's FIH Pro League
- Hockey Series
- Hockey Champions Trophy
- Hockey Champions Challenge I
- Hockey Champions Challenge II
- Hockey World League
- Masters Hockey World Cup
- International Children's Games
- "International Hockey Federation Statutes" (PDF). FIH. Retrieved 28 October 2012.
- "Executive Board". FIH. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- "International Hockey Federation". FIH. Retrieved 28 October 2012.
- "FIH parners with Dream11 to develop fantasy league for hockey tournaments". Moneycontrol. Retrieved 2019-02-07.