Education in West Bengal
Education in West Bengal is provided by both the public sector as well as the private sector. The modern education system was developed by the British missionaries and the Indian social reformists. West Bengal has many institutes of higher education like – University of Calcutta, Presidency University, Jadavpur University, Indian Institute of Management Calcutta, Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, Marine Engineering and Research Institute, Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, Shibpur, Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Kolkata, National Institute of Technology, Durgapur, Indian Institute of Information Technology, Kalyani, Indian Statistical Institute and Visva-Bharati University.
This section does not cite any sources. (February 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Kolkata has played a pioneering role in the development of the modern education system in India. Western models of education came to India through Kolkata. Many of the first schools and colleges were established by the missionaries and reformists. Sir William Jones (philologist) established the Asiatic Society in 1784 for promoting oriental studies. People like Ram Mohan Roy, David Hare, Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar, Shashi Bhusan Chatterjee, and William Carey played a leading role in the setting up of modern schools and colleges in the city. The Fort William College was established in 1800. The Hindu College was established in 1817. In 1855 the Hindu College, Calcutta was renamed as the Presidency College.
William Carey established the Serampore College in Serampore City (30 km from Calcutta), 1818. It went on to become India's first modern university in 1827 when it was incorporated by a Royal Charter as a Danish University. Although it had the charter, it was not technically a university in the modern sense of that term. The Sanskrit College was established in 1824. Reverend Alexander Duff of the Church of Scotland established the General Assembly's Institution in 1830 and later the Free Church Institution in 1844, which were later merged to form what is now known as the Scottish Church College, Calcutta. These institutions played a significant role in what came to be known as the Young Bengal Movement and the Bengal Renaissance. La Martiniere Calcutta was established in 1836. John Bethune established a school for Indian girls in 1850 at a time when women's education was frowned upon in the society. The Bethune College for girls was set up by him in 1879.
The oldest medical school in Asia, the Calcutta Medical College was set up in 1835. In 1857, the University of Calcutta was established as the first full-fledged multi-disciplinary university in south Asia. It was modelled on the lines of the University of London. Today it is amongst the largest multidisciplinary universities of India and offers some of the widest number of academic disciplines for study. In 1856 technical and engineering education came with the establishment of a civil engineering college / department. This setup went through various reorganisations to finally become the Bengal Engineering College in 1921. The Jesuit administered St Xavier's College was established in 1860. In 1906, the partition of Bengal led to widespread nationalistic and anti British feelings. This led to the setting up of the National Council of Education, Bengal. This later on became the Jadavpur University in 1955. The nation's first homeopathy college was established in the city in 1880. In 1883 Kadambini Ganguly and Chandramukhi Basu became the first women graduates from the University of Calcutta. In the process, they became the first female graduates of the British Empire. Kadambini went on to become the first female physician trained in the Western system of medicine in South Asia. The Science College was established in 1917. The first blind school came into being in 1925.
After independence, Calcutta continued to be in the forefront of the educational scene. The Government College of Art & Craft was established in 1951. The Rabindra Bharati University was established in 1962. This university offers courses in the fine and performing arts. The Indian Institute of Social Welfare and Business Management was set up in 1953 as the country's first management institute and is also the first in the country to offer an MBA degree of a university. The first, Indian Institute of Technology was set up at Kharagpur about 120 km from Calcutta. In 1960 the Regional Engineering college (presently National Institute of Technology) at Durgapur was set up. It is amongst the top NITs in India and also among the oldest. Indian Institute of Management Calcutta, the first among the prestigious Indian Institutes of Management, was set up in 1961 at Joka. It was the first national institute for post-graduate studies and research in management sciences. It was established with the help of the MIT Sloan School of Management and the Ford Foundation.
West Bengal schools are run by the School Education Department, West Bengal government or by private organisations, including religious institutions. Instruction is mainly in English or Bengali, though Urdu is also used, especially in Central Kolkata. The secondary schools are affiliated with the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations (CISCE), the Central Board for Secondary Education (CBSE), the National Institute of Open School (NIOS) or the West Bengal Board of Secondary Education. Under the 10+2+3 plan, after completing secondary school, students typically enroll for 2 years in a junior college, also known as pre-university, or in schools with a higher secondary facility affiliated with the West Bengal Council of Higher Secondary Education or any central board. Students choose from one of three streams, namely liberal arts, commerce or science. Upon completing the required coursework, students may enrol in general or professional degree programs. South Point School, St. Xaviers Collegiate School, Baranagore Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama High School etc. are some of the best schools of West Bengal.
Schools in West BengalEdit
- Asansol Arunoday High School
- Domohani Kelejora High School
- Asansol Ramakrishna Mission High School
- Kendriya Vidyalaya, Asansol
- Loreto Convent, Asansol
- St. Patrick's Higher Secondary School
- St. Vincent's High and Technical School
- Dr. Graham's Homes, Kalimpong
- Gandhi Ashram School
- Goethals Memorial School, Kurseong
- Loreto Convent
- Mount Carmel School, Darjeeling
- Mount Hermon School
- Rockvale Academy
- St. Augustine's School
- St. George's Higher Secondary School
- St. Joseph's School, Darjeeling
- St. Paul's School, Darjeeling
- St. Roberts School, Darjeeling
- Aditya Academy (Senior Secondary)
- Amrai High School
- Andal Mahabir High School
- Andhra Association School
- Apeejay School Kolkata
- Arambagh Girls High School
- Auxilium Convent School
- B. T. Road Government Sponsored H. S. School
- Bahadurpur High School
- Ballygunge Government High School
- Balutungi High School
- Bamanhat High School
- Bandel Vidyamandir High School
- Bankura Zilla School
- Bansberia Ganges High School
- Baranagore Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama High School
- Barasat Mahatma Gandhi Memorial High School
- Barasat Peary Charan Sarkar Government High School
- Barrackpore Government High School
- Being Muslim Institute
- Baruipur High School
- Bhogpur K. M. High School
- Bidhannagar Municipal School
- Birbhum Zilla School
- Birla High School
- Bolpur High School
- Bongaon High School
- Burdwan C.M.S High School
- Burdwan Municipal Girls' High School
- Burdwan Municipal High School
- Calcutta Boys' School
- Calcutta Girls High School
- Calcutta International School
- Calcutta Public School
- Carmel School, Kolkata
- Chakdwipa High School
- Chatra Nandalal Institution
- Chittaranjan High School
- Dayanand Anglo-Vedic Public School
- Delhi Public School Newtown
- Domohani Kelejora High School
- Don Bosco School, Bandel
- Don Bosco School, Park Circus
- Dreamland School, Makhla
- The Frank Anthony Public School, Kolkata
- Gangarampur Girls' High School
- Gangarampur High School
- Garden High School
- Grace Ling Liang English School
- Guru Teg Bahadur Public School Durgapur
- Hare School
- The Heritage School, Kolkata
- Hindu School
- Hindu Vidyapith
- Howrah Zilla School
- Howrah Ramkrishnapur High School
- Indian Army Public School, Kolkata
- Isabella School, Siliguri
- Jadavpur Vidyapith
- Jagacha High School
- Jagadbandhu Institution
- Jalpaiguri Zilla School
- Jenkins School
- Jhantipahari High School
- Jhargram Kumud Kumari Institution
- Jodhpur Park Boys School
- Julien Day School
- Kaigram High School
- Kaiti Nibaran Chandra High School
- Kalikrishna Girls' High School
- Kanailal Vidyamandir
- Kanduah Mahakali High School
- Katwa Kashiram Das Institution
- Kendriya Vidyalaya No. 1, Ishapore
- Krishnagar Collegiate School
- Krishnath College School, Berhampore
- La Martiniere Calcutta
- Laban Hrad Vidyapith
- Lakshmipat Singhania Academy
- Loreto Schools, Kolkata
- Mahadevi Birla Girls Higher Secondary School
- Malda Zilla School
- Md Jan Higher Secondary School
- Midnapore Collegiate School
- Modern High School for Girls
- Nabapally Boys' High School
- Nandapur Milani Balika Vidyaniketan, Purba Medinipur
- National English School, Kolkata
- National High School
- Nava Nalanda High School
- Oaktree International School, Kolkata
- Okersa High School
- Our Lady Queen of the Missions School
- Patha Bhavan, Kolkata
- Patha Bhavana, Santiniketan
- Patulia High School
- Pramila Memorial Institute
- Raghunathganj High School
- Ramakrishna Mission Multipurpose School, Kamarpukur
- Ramakrishna Mission Vidyalaya, Narendrapur
- Ramakrishna Mission Vidyapith, Purulia
- Sehara Bazar Chandra Kumar Institution
- St. Francis Xavier School, Kolkata
- St. James' School, Kolkata
- St. John's Diocesan Girls' Higher Secondary School
- St. Lawrence High School
- St. Michael's School B zone unit
- St. Thomas' Church School, Howrah
- St. Xavier's Collegiate School
- St. Xavier's School, Burdwan
- St. Xavier's School, Durgapur
- Salt Lake School
- Santragachi Kedarnath Institution
- Scottish Church Collegiate School
- Shayama Prasad Shikshayatan High School
- Sibpur S.S.P.S. Vidyalaya
- Siliguri Boys High School
- South Point
- Vivekananda Institution
Government General Degree Colleges (GGDC)Edit
- General General Degree College, Ranibandh
- Kabi Jagadram Roy Govt. General Degree College
- Government General Degree College, Mangalkote
- Government General Degree College, Kalna
- Government General Degree College, Pedong
- Government General Degree College, Gorubathan
- Government General Degree College, Mohanpur
- Government General Degree College, Kharagpur-II
- Government General Degree College, Gopiballavpur-II
- Government General Degree College, Keshiary
- Government General Degree College, Dantan-II
- Sahid Matangini Hazra Government College for Women
- Muragachha GOVT College
- Government General Degree College, Kaliganj
- Government General Degree College, Tehatta
- Government General Degree College, Chapra
- Government General Degree College, Manbazar II
- Government General Degree College, Hili
- Government General Degree College, Kushmandi
- Sister Nibedita Government General Degree College for Girls
- Nayagram Pandit Raghunath Murmu Government College
- Government General Degree College, Lalgarh
- Government General Degree College, Salboni
- Jhargram Raj College (Girls' Wing)
- Government General Degree College, Singur
- Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Govt. College, Newtown
- P. R. Thakur Government College
- Banarhat Kartik Oraon Hindi Government College
- Government Girls General Degree College, Ekbalpur
- Lady Brabourne College – Kolkata
- Acharya Brojendra Nath Seal College
- Acharya Prafulla Chandra Roy Government College
- Barasat Government College
- Bethune College
- Bidhannagar College
- Chandernagore Government College
- Durgapur Government College
- Maulana Azad College
- Darjeeling Government College
- Goenka College of Commerce and Business Administration
- Taki Government College
- Hooghly Mohsin College
- Haldia Government College
- Jhargram Raj College
- Krishnagar Government College
- Government College of Art & Craft
- The Sanskrit College
- Government General Degree College, Narayangarh
In West Bengal there is one central university, twenty seven state universities, eleven private universities and two deemed university. Besides, there are three Regional Centres of IGNOU at Siliguri, Kolkata and Raghunathganj and one Sub - Regional Centre of IGNOU at Darjeeling.
|Aliah University||Kolkata||State||1781||Arts, Sciences, Engineering, Management, Islamic Studies|||
|Bankura University||Bankura||State||2014||Arts, Sciences, Engineering, Law|||
|Bidhan Chandra Krishi Viswavidyalaya||Nadia||State||1974||Agriculture, Horticulture and Agricultural Engineering|||
|University of Burdwan||Bardhaman||State||1960||Arts, Sciences, Commerce, Engineering and Law|||
|University of Calcutta||Kolkata||State||1857||Arts, Sciences, Commerce, Engineering and Law|||
|Cooch Behar Panchanan Barma University||Cooch Behar||State||2012||Arts, Sciences|||
|Diamond Harbour Women's University||Diamond Harbour||State||2013||Humanities and Basic Sciences|||
|University of Gour Banga||Malda||State||2008||Arts, Sciences, and Commerce|||
|Jadavpur University||Kolkata||1955||Engineering, Technology, Science, Arts and Commerce|||
|University of Kalyani||Kalyani||State||1960||Arts, Sciences, Commerce and Law|||
|Kazi Nazrul University||Asansol||State||2012||Arts, Sciences, Commerce, law and Engineering.|||
|Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology||Kolkata||State||2000||Engineering and Management|||
|Netaji Subhas Open University||Kolkata||State and distance education||1998||Arts, Sciences, and Commerce|||
|University of North Bengal||Siliguri||State||1962||Arts, Sciences, Commerce, and Law|||
|Presidency University||Kolkata||State||1817||Arts and Sciences|||
|Rabindra Bharati University||Kolkata||State||1962||Arts, Fine Arts, and Performing Arts|||
|Raiganj University||Raiganj||State||2015||Humanities, Science|||
|Senate of Serampore College (University)||Serampore||State||1818||Theology|||
|Sidho Kanho Birsha University||Purulia||State||2010||Arts and Sciences|||
|The Sanskrit College and University||Kolkata||State||2015||Sanskrit, Languages|||
|Uttar Banga Krishi Vishwavidyalaya||Cooch Behar||State||2001||Agriculture, Horticulture|||
|Vidyasagar University||Midnapur||State||1981||Arts, Sciences, Commerce and Law|||
|West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences||Kolkata||State||1999||Law|||
|West Bengal State University||Barasat||State||2008||Arts, Sciences, Commerce and Law|||
|West Bengal University of Animal and Fishery Sciences||Kolkata||State||1995||Veterinary & Animal Sciences|||
|West Bengal University of Health Sciences||Kolkata||State||2003||Medicine|||
|West Bengal University of Teachers' Training, Education Planning and Administration||Kolkata||State||2015||Teachers Training, B.Ed. M.Ed|||
|Visva-Bharati University||Santiniketan (Bolpur)||Central University||1921||Arts and Sciences|||
Centrally Funded Technical Institutes & Other institution CampusesEdit
- Ghani Khan Choudhury Institute of Engineering & Technology, Malda
- National Institute of Technical Teachers' Training and Research, Kolkata
- National Power Training Institute Durgapur Campus
- IIFT, Kolkata Campus
- Marine Engineering and Research Institute
- Footwear Design and Development Institute Kolkata Campus
Institute of National ImportanceEdit
|Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science||Kolkata||Deemed||1876||Basic sciences, applied sciences|||
|Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda Educational and Research Institute||Belur Math||Deemed||2005||Agricultural Management, Rural Development, Basic Sciences, Indian Culture and Spirituality|
|Adamas University||Barasat||Private||2014||Sciences, Management, Humanities, Engineering & Technology|||
|Amity University, Kolkata||New Town||Global Private||2015||Sciences, Management, Humanities, Engineering & Technology|||
|Brainware University||Kolkata||Private||2015||Sciences, Management, Engineering & Technology|||
|International Management Institute Kolkata||Kolkata||Autonomous Management Institute||2011||Management|||
|JIS University||Agarpara||Private||2014||Science, Engineering & Technology, Pharmacy, Management, Law|||
|Neotia University||Sarisha||Private||2015||Sciences, Management, Humanities, Engineering & Technology|||
|Seacom Skills University||Santiniketan (Bolpur)||Private||2014||Sciences, Engineering & Technology|||
|Sister Nivedita University||New Town||Private||2017||Science, Engineering & Technology, Management, Social Science & Women Studies|||
|St. Xavier's University, Kolkata||Kolkata||Private||2017||Management, Commerce, Humanities, Mass Communication|||
|Techno India University||Kolkata||Private||2012||Sciences, Management, Engineering & Technology|||
|University of Engineering & Management (UEM), Kolkata||New Town||Private||2015||Engineering, Technology & Management|||
|Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics||Kolkata||1950||Science|||
|S.N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences||Kolkata||1986||Science|||
|Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre||Kolkata||1977||Science|||
|Central Glass and Ceramic Research Institute||Kolkata||1950||Science and Technology|||
|Indian Institute of Chemical Biology||Kolkata||1935||Science|||
|Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute||Durgapur||1958||Science and Technology|||
|Central Inland Fisheries Research Institute||Kolkata||1959||Science|||
|National Institute of Biomedical Genomics||Kalyani||2010||Science|||
|Central Research Institute for Jute and Allied Fibers||Kolkata||1953||Science and Technology|||
|Indian Centre for Space Physics||Kolkata||1999||Science|||
|National Institute of Research on Jute and Allied Fibre Technology||Kolkata||1938||Science and Technology|||
- London Missionary Society, ed. (1869). Fruits of Toil in the London Missionary Society. London: John Snow & Co. p. 12. Retrieved 12 September 2016.
- "Aliah University, Kolkata". aliah.ac.in. Retrieved 27 February 2012.
- "Bankura University". bankurauniv.ac.in. Retrieved 7 August 2015.
- "Bidhan Chandra Krishi Viswavidyalaya". bckv.edu.in. Retrieved 27 February 2012.
- "University of Burdwan". buruniv.ac.in. Retrieved 27 February 2012.
- "Calcutta University". caluniv.ac.in. Retrieved 27 February 2012.
- "Cooch Behar Panchanan Barma University". cbpbu.ac.in. Retrieved 7 August 2015.
- "Diamond Harbour Women's University". dhwu.ac.in. Retrieved 7 August 2015.
- "Gaur Banga University". ugb.ac.in. Retrieved 27 February 2012.
- "Jadavpur University". jaduniv.edu.in. Retrieved 27 February 2012.
- "Kalyani University". klyuniv.ac.in. Retrieved 27 February 2012.
- "Kazi Nazrul University". knu.ac.in. Retrieved 16 August 2012.
- "Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology". wbut.net. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- "Netaji Subhas Open University". wbnsou.ac.in. Archived from the original on 15 May 2011. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- "North Bengal University". nbu.ac.in. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- "Presidency University". presiuniv.ac.in. Archived from the original on 24 February 2012. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- "Rabindra Bharati University". rbu.ac.in. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- "Raiganj University". Raiganj University. Retrieved 4 July 2017.
- "Senate of Serampore College (University)". senateofseramporecollege.edu.in. Retrieved 1 November 2016.
- "Sidho Kanho Birsha University". skbu.ac.in. Archived from the original on 4 March 2012. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- "The Sanskrit College and University". The Sanskrit College and University. Retrieved 4 July 2017.
- "Uttar Banga Krishi Viswavidyalaya". Uttar Banga Krishi Viswavidyalaya. Retrieved 4 July 2017.
- "Vidyasagar University". vidyasagar.ac.in. Archived from the original on 6 August 2011. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- "West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences". nujs.edu. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- "Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology(Formerly known as West Bengal University of Technology)". wbut.ac.in. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- "West Bengal University of Animal and Fishery Sciences". wbuafscl.ac.in. Archived from the original on 21 July 2011. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- "West Bengal University of Health Sciences". thewbuhs.in. Archived from the original on 18 June 2011. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- "West Bengal University of Teachers' Training, Education Planning and Administration". West Bengal University of Teachers' Training, Education Planning and Administration. Retrieved 4 July 2017.
- "Visva-Bharati University". visva-bharati.ac.in. Retrieved 3 April 2012.
- "IIM Calcutta". iimcal.ac.in. Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- "IISER Kolkata". iiserkol.ac.in. Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- "ISI Kolkata". isical.ac.in/. Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- "IIT Kharagpur". iitkgp.ac.in. Retrieved 2 April 2015.
- "Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, Shibpur". iiests.ac.in. Archived from the original on 7 February 2012. Retrieved 7 February 2019.
- "Indian Institute of Information Technology, Kalyani". Archived from the original on 19 May 2011. Retrieved 4 July 2018.
- "NIT Durgapur". nitdgp.ac.in. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- "NIPER Kolkata". niperkolkata.edu.in. Retrieved 14 July 2019.
- "Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science". iacs.res.in. Retrieved 18 October 2018.
- "Adamas University". adamasuniversity.ac.in. Retrieved 7 August 2015.
- "Amity University, Kolkata". amity.edu/kolkata/. Retrieved 8 February 2019.
- "Brainware University". brainware-india.com. Retrieved 14 December 2015.
- "International Management Institute, Kolkata". Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- "Jis University". jisuniversity.ac.in. Retrieved 9 July 2017.
- "The Neotia University". tnu.in. Retrieved 7 August 2015.
- "Seacom Skills University". seacomskillsuniversity.org. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- "Sister Nivedita University". snuniv.ac.in. Retrieved 11 July 2017.
- "Seacom St. Xavier's University, Kolkata". St. Xavier's University, Kolkata. Retrieved 4 July 2017.
- "Techno India University". technoindiauniversity.com. Archived from the original on 16 August 2012. Retrieved 27 February 2012.
- "Welcome to UEM KOLKATA". uem.edu.in.
- "Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, Kolkata". saha.ac.in. Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics. Retrieved 20 March 2012.
- "S.N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences, Kolkata". bose.res.in. S.N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences. Retrieved 20 March 2012.
- "Bose Institute, Kolkata". boseinst.ernet.in. Bose Institute. Archived from the original on 26 March 2012. Retrieved 20 March 2012.
- "Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre, Kolkata". vecc.gov.in. Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre. Retrieved 20 March 2012.
- "Central Glass and Ceramic Research Institute, Kolkata". cgcri.res.in. Central Glass and Ceramic Research Institute. Retrieved 20 March 2012.
- "Indian Institute of Chemical Biology, Kolkata". iicb.res.in. Indian Institute of Chemical Biology. Archived from the original on 9 February 2003. Retrieved 20 March 2012.
- "Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute, Durgapur". cmeri.res.in. Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute. Retrieved 20 March 2012.
- "Central Inland Fisheries Research Institute, Kolkata". cifri.ernet.in. Central Inland Fisheries Research Institute. Retrieved 20 March 2012.
- "National Institute of Biomedical Genomics, Kolkata". nibmg.ac.in. National Institute of Biomedical Genomics. Retrieved 20 March 2012.
- "Central Research Institute for Jute and Allied Fibers, Kolkata". crijaf.org.in/. Central Research Institute for Jute and Allied Fibers. Archived from the original on 30 June 2011. Retrieved 20 March 2012.
- "Indian Centre for Space Physics, Kolkata". csp.res.in/. Indian Centre for Space Physics. Retrieved 20 March 2012.
- "National Institute of Research on Jute and Allied Fibre Technology, Kolkata". nirjaft.res.in/. National Institute of Research on Jute and Allied Fibre Technology. Retrieved 20 March 2012.
- "Welcome". Bankura Sammilani Medical College. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- "Burdwan Medical College". Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- "Gouri Devi Institute of Medical Sciences and Hospital". Retrieved 16 April 2020.
- "Jagannath Gupta Institute of Medical Sciences and Hospital". Retrieved 7 December 2019.
- "Shri Ramkrishna Institute of Medical Sciences and Sanaka Hospital". Retrieved 7 December 2019.
68. List of All Government ITI Colleges in West Bengal. 18 Oct 2020