Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda Educational and Research Institute
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda Educational and Research Institute, formerly Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda University or simply Vivekananda University, is a deemed university headquartered at Belur, West Bengal, with campuses spanning multiple states in India. Established with the idea of actualizing Swami Vivekananda's vision of education, the Institute is administered by the Ramakrishna Mission.
|Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda University|
|Motto||Atmano mokshartham jagat hitaya cha|
(आत्मनो मोक्षार्थं जगद्धिताय च)
(For one’s own salvation and for the welfare of the world)
The university provides courses on subjects as varied as rural and tribal development, disability management and special education, fundamental science education and Indian cultural and spiritual heritage. These courses are conducted through specialized faculty centers housed in the various campuses. Some of the unconventional areas of study and research covered by the faculty centers of the university include disability management and special education at Coimbatore and integrated rural development including tribal development and management at its centers in Ranchi and Narendrapur.
Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda Educational and Research Institute was established with the idea of actualizing Swami Vivekananda's vision of education. It was declared as a de novo Deemed University by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India in 2005. With its headquarters at Belur, RKMVERI began functioning in July 2005 with one branch in the Specialized Faculty Centre at Coimbatore in the field of ‘Disability Management and Special Education’. In the following year, three new branches were added at Narendrapur, Ranchi and Kolkata (at Simla – the ancestral residence of Swami Vivekananda, currently operating under the Belur main campus).
Since then, two new schools have been established in the main campus, namely the School of Mathematical Sciences (focusing on mathematics, theoretical physics and theoretical computer science), and the School of Indian Heritage (including Sanskrit studies, ancient Indian heritage and Vedanta, especially the Upanishads and the Bhagavad Gita).
In 2019, it was awarded the highest grade of A++ with CGPA of 3.66 out of 4. It is the only institution from West Bengal that has bagged A++ in the latest round of evaluation by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council.
This article contains a list of miscellaneous information. (April 2018)
- RKMVERI hosts a special UNESCO chair in the area of Inclusive Adapted Physical Education and Yoga. The chair was established in 2012.
- The Faculty of Disability Management and Special Education (FDMSE) at the Coimbatore campus has produced a comprehensive Indian Sign Language (ISL) dictionary addressing the communicative need of persons with hearing impairment. FDMSE also houses a Braille printing press.
- "Administration | Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda Educational and Research Institute". rkmvu.ac.in.
- Mukherjee, Mita (30 March 2019). "RKM institute bags top NAAC score". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 2 April 2019.
- "Swamiji's vision turns into varsity". Telegraph India. 5 July 2005. Retrieved 20 April 2018.
- "History". www.vivekanandauniversity-cbe.org. Retrieved 20 April 2018.
- Dutta, Indrani (29 December 2015). "Ramakrishna Mission-UNESCO establish 'official ties'". The Hindu. Retrieved 20 April 2018.
- Ananth, M. K. (5 February 2016). "English, Hindi sign language dictionary to be released today". The Hindu. Retrieved 20 April 2018.
- "National Institute for the Visually Handicapped Annual Report 2012–13" (PDF). p. 90.
- "Vidyanathananda, the wizard who became a monk". The Times of India. Retrieved 15 April 2018.
- "Faculty | Department of Physics, RKMVERI". physics.rkmvu.ac.in. Retrieved 14 May 2018.