Indian Institute of Social Welfare and Business Management
This article's factual accuracy is disputed. (June 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Indian Institute of Social Welfare & Business Management (IISWBM) is a Premier Autonomous Business School in Kolkata, India. It is the first institute in Asia to offer an MBA degree.  It was established in 1953. IISWBM often regarded as one of the Finest B-School of the Eastern Part of the Country after XLRI and IIM, Calcutta.
|Type||Public Business School|
|Established||25th April 1953|
|Dean||Soma Roy Chowdhury|
|Director||Dipankar Das Gupta|
|Affiliations||University of Calcutta, AICTE|
Indian Institute of Social Welfare & Business Management was ranked 34th among management schools by the Business Today' "India's Best B Schools 2014". As per Economic Times B-School Survey, IISWBM was ranked 33rd in Human Resource Management and 37th in Overall Ranking. Ranked 23rd ( Public B-School Category) by Business World 2017. IISWBM rank stands 4th and 3rd in West Bengal and Kolkata respectively.
In MBA rankings, it has been ranked 7th in all over India by Business Standard. For MBA rankings syllabus has to be in accordance with the UGC (University Grants Commission) guidelines which are periodically updated by Ministry of HRD (Now Ministry of Education), Government of India following the standards of international business school education unlike PGDM where IIMs or other institutions can change their syllabus without any standard regulations. It is also ranked 9th in research output of the country.
IISWBM was founded at a time when the concept of management degree was alien to the educational fraternity of that period. The seeds of IISWBM were sown in 1942, when the British Government, needing qualified Labour Officers for its facilities, especially its Ordnance Factories - the Second World War was on - decided to start a social welfare training institute affiliated to University of Calcutta and located close to it. Prof. Dijendra Kumar Sanyal was appointed its Chief. After Independence, this evolved into the IISWBM, set up in April 1953, with Sanyal as its Founder Director. IISWBM was set up in collaboration with the Government of West Bengal, the University of Calcutta and the business community of West Bengal to promote management education. The MBA, MBA (HRM) and MPA-PS courses are autonomous and affiliated to the University of Calcutta; the MBA program has been affiliated to the university for more than 65 years.
On 5 July 1954, Dr. Bidhan Chandra Roy, Chief Minister of West Bengal and Founder President of the Institute inaugurated the first Business Management course in India. Dr. Jehangir Gandhy, Chairman, All India Board of Technical Studies in Management, Union Ministry of Education, who could not be present at the inaugural ceremony sent a message saying "I am glad that the All India Institute of Social Welfare and Business Management is inaugurating today Business Management Course for the first time in India for the benefit of Junior Business Executives".
IISWBM is in College Square where the University of Calcutta, Presidency College, Calcutta Medical College and the All India Institute of Hygiene and Public Health are also located. The School of Tropical Medicine is a distance from the institute site. The institute building has two blocks. The foundation stone of one was laid by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, the First Prime Minister of India and the other by Dr. B. C. Roy, the famous Chief Minister of West Bengal. Created in response to a strongly felt need of independent India, IISWBM had as its midwives the Ministry of Scientific and Cultural Affairs, Government of India, All India Board of Technical Studies in Management, Ministry of Education, Government of West Bengal, Bengal National Chamber of Commerce and Industry and personalities like Dr A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, Sir Biren Mukherjee, Srimati Renuka Ray, Professor D. K. Sanyal, Lala Lakhsmipat Singhania and many others.
The institute offers the following courses:
- Master of Business Administration (MBA Day)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA Evening)
- Master of Business Administration (Human Resource Management)
- Master of Business Administration in Public Systems Management with specialization in Environment Management, Energy Management, Healthcare & Hospital Management, Transportation and Logistics Management
- PhD & M.Phil (University of Calcutta)
- Executive Post Graduation Programme in Management (EPGPM)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Sports Management (PGDSM) 
- Master in Retail Management (Two Years Full Time)
- MSW (Masters in Social Welfare) 2 Year Full Time- University of Calcutta
The MBA, MBA (HRM), and MBA-PS Programmes are affiliated to the University of Calcutta, AICTE and NBA accredited. The other courses are offered by the institute as PG Diploma courses. The MBA (HRM) is accredited by Society of Human Resource Management (SHRM), United States.
The institute publishes a management Journal called Survey.
- Ranked among the Top 10 HR Colleges in India by Shiksha.com.
- Ranked Top 10 HR College according to a Survey done by way2college in 2019.
- Ranked among the Top HRM Programme of India by a survey done by collegedunia.com in 2019.
- Ranked among the Top-notch Management Programme in HRM by Economic Times, 2019 (Survey of Best B-Schools in India)
- Economic Times Best B-Schools Survey ranks IISWBM as a Top B-School in the HRM Domain in India as perceived by CEOs.
- Business Today 2018: Ranked 8th in Eastern Region & 2nd in Kolkata Metro.
- Business World Magazine 2017: Ranked 23rd in Top Government B-Schools in India.
- Ranked in "BBB Category" in T.I.M.E. B School Ranking 2020.
- Ranked as "A category" in IMS Business School Ranking 2020.
- Ranked 11th in Research Output according to natureINDEX for the year 2018.
- India Today B-School Ranking 2019: Ranked 2nd in Kolkata and 7th in Eastern Region.
- Careers 360 Top MBA Colleges 2020: AAA Rating
- All India Ranked 15th & 4th in West Bengal: National Preferential Cluster rank (NPCR) by Indian Institutional Ranking Framework 2020
- Google Review: 4.3*
This list consists of notable people who have been associated with this Institute:
- Arindam Sil, Indian Film Star, Director and Producer
- Lakshmi Mittal, Indian steel magnate, based in the United Kingdom, chairman and CEO of ArcelorMittal
- Partha Chatterjee, Minister for Education and Minister of Parliamentary Affairs of the Government of West Bengal.
- Shiladitya Patranabis, prominent TV actor.
- Sumantra Ghoshal, Indian Scholar and Educator
- Sep 24, Somdatta Basu / tnn / Updated:; 2017; Ist, 09:40. "Country's oldest B-school, IISWBM, to become a university | Kolkata News - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 12 August 2020.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link) CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- "India's Best B-schools 2015". bschools.businesstoday.in.
- "Business School Rankings, Best Business Schools in India - About the ET B-School Ranking". economictimes.indiatimes.com.
- "MPSM Programme". Archived from the original on 27 July 2011. Retrieved 7 June 2010.
- "Sports Management Programme". Archived from the original on 22 August 2009. Retrieved 7 June 2010.
- "Survey, Quarterly Management research Journal of IISWBM- India's First B-School" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 July 2011. Retrieved 7 June 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Indian Institute of Social Welfare and Business Management.|