Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, Shibpur
This article contains wording that promotes the subject in a subjective manner without imparting real information. (July 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, Shibpur (IIEST Shibpur) is a public technical and research university located at Shibpur, Howrah, West Bengal. It is recognised as an Institute of National Importance under MHRD by the Government of India. It is controlled by the Council of National Institutes of Technology.
|Calcutta Civil Engineering College (1856-1880)|
Government Engineering College, Howrah (1880-1921)
Bengal Engineering College (1921-2004)
Bengal Engineering and Science University (2004-2014)
|Motto||Uttiṣṭhita jāgrata prāpya varān nibodhata|
Motto in English
|Arise, awake, and stop not till the goal is reached.|
|Type||Public technical university Research university|
|Established||24 November 1856|
|Institutes of National Importance|
|Chairman||V. K. Aatre|
|Campus||Urban, 123 acres (500,000 m2)|
The institute was established as an independent entity in 1880 as Government College, Howrah in the premises of Bishop's College in Shibpur, Howrah. In 1921, the name of the college space was changed to Bengal Engineering College. B.E. College was previously affiliated to the University of Calcutta. At this time in contained only civil and mechanical engineering departments. Several other departments were created subsequently over the years, the last among them being that of Aerospace Engineering and Applied Mechanics in 2010.
On 1 October 2004, the institution was conferred the status of a full-fledged university. It was formally inaugurated as Bengal Engineering and Science University by A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, the President of India, on 13 July 2005.
In March 2014, the institute was conferred the status of an INI and was renamed Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, Shibpur by the Govt. of India by suitably amending the National Institutes of Technology and Science Education and Research Act, 2007. The conversion process of BESU to IIEST was mentored by IIT Kanpur. President of India, Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated it as IIEST on 24 August 2014.
In June 2014, Govt. of West Bengal appointed IIEST Shibpur as the Mentor Institute for Indian Institute of Information Technology, Kalyani, which was inaugurated in June the same year.
Organisation and administrationEdit
IIEST Shibpur has 16 departments, 2 multi-disciplinary centers and 8 schools of excellence. The academic departments (in order of their year of establishment) are:
- Civil Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Earth Sciences
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgy and Materials Engineering
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Architecture, Town and Regional Planning
- Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering
- Computer Science and Technology
- Human Resource Management
- Information Technology
- Aerospace Engineering and Applied Mechanics
Schools and centresEdit
Following are the multi-disciplinary centers located in IIEST Shibpur:
- Center of Excellence for Green Energy and Sensor Systems
- Center of Healthcare Science and Technology
Eight schools of excellence in IIEST are:
- Dr. M. N. Dastur School of Materials Science and Engineering
- Purabi Das School of Information Technology
- School of Community Science and Technology
- School of Disaster Mitigation Engineering
- School of Ecology, Infrastructure and Human Settlement Management
- School of Management Sciences
- School of Mechatronics and Robotics
- School of VLSI Technology
The institute's Ramanujan Central Library occupies 3,000 m2 (32,000 sq ft) and houses 158,000 books, 41,000 bound volumes of journals, and a collection of documents, such as patents, standards, technical reports and pamphlets. The library has old and rare books and journals of the nineteenth century.
Undergraduate programs to the various engineering disciplines (4-year B. Tech. programs) and architecture (5-year B.Arch. program) are granted via JEE Main, taking 50% students from the home state (West Bengal) and 50% from other states. Students from any discipline other than Architecture, on the basis of their performance, are allowed to change their disciplines at the end of the 1st Year (i.e., second semester) and may opt for dual degree (B.Tech.-M.Tech.) courses extending over 10 semesters as per terms and conditions specified by the institute. For PG programs admission is through GATE for M.Tech. courses and Joint Entrance Screening Test for MSc. Students are also admitted in Ph.D programs twice a year through online applications.
|University and college rankings|
|General – international|
|QS (Asia) (2021)||301-350|
|General – India|
|NIRF (Overall) (2020)||43|
|Engineering – India|
IIEST Shibpur has ranked 301-350 among the top 650 Universities in Asia category by the QS Asia Ranking 2021,
- John Samuel Slater, principal
- Sankar Sen, professor of electrical engineering department.
- Joseph Allen Stein, professor and head of the Department of Architecture
This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability policy. (July 2020)
- Soumitro Banerjee, electrical engineer, Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar laureate
- Amitabha Bhattacharyya, production engineer, Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar laureate
- Gautam Biswas, director, IIT Guwahati
- Promode R. Bandyopadhyay, American-Indian Inventor
- Bimal Kumar Bose, scholar in Power Electronics, Chondra Chair of Excellence in Power Electronics, Professor Emeritus at University of Tennessee, member of National Academy of Engineering
- Soumyen Bandyopadhyay, Architect at Liverpool University holds Sir James Stirling chair in architecture
- Pradip Chatterjee, flautist and singer, founding member of Mohiner Ghoraguli
- Arunendu Das, songwriter
- Chaitanyamoy Ganguly, nuclear scientist, Padma Shri recipient
- Amitabha Ghosh ex-director, IIT Kharagpur
- Buddhadev Das Gupta, classical sarod player, Padma Bhusan recipient
- Fazlur Rahman Khan, structural engineer and architect. Called the "Einstein of structural engineering"
- Binoy Majumdar, poet, Sahitya Akademi Award winner
- Biren Mookerjee, industrialist, CMD Martin Burn & Co.Ltd. MD IISCO Ltd.
- Rajen Mookerjee, industrialist, co-founder of Martin Burn & Co. and founder of Indian Iron & Steel Co. Ltd.
- M. A. Rashid, first Vice-chancellor of Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology
- Tathagata Roy, Ex GM / Chief Engineer Metro Railway and politician, Governor of Tripura
- Narayan Sanyal, novelist, writer of "Shatyakam".
- Badal Sarkar, dramatist and theatre director, Padma Shri recipient
- Jatindranath Sengupta, poet and writer.
- "Director". www.iiests.ac.in. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- "Director". Retrieved 6 March 2021.
- "NIRF 2021 Data" (PDF). IIEST Shibpur. Retrieved 6 March 2021.
- "NIRF 2021" (PDF). IIEST Shibpur. Retrieved 6 March 2021.
- "The Gazette of India" (PDF). Retrieved 9 February 2020.
- "Department of Higher Education | Government of India, Ministry of Education". www.education.gov.in. Retrieved 17 January 2021.
- "Council of NITs | COVID-19 Research at NITs & IIEST, Shibpur". nitcouncil.org.in. Retrieved 24 August 2020.
- "Identity crisis hurdle to IIEST success". www.telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 24 August 2020.
- "Ministry of Education, Government of India". www.mhrd.gov.in. Retrieved 24 August 2020.
- "Our History | IIEST". IIEST, Shibpur. Retrieved 3 May 2020.
- "Bengal Engineering And Science University, Shibpur – The University". becs.ac.in. Archived from the original on 7 February 2012. Retrieved 20 October 2010.
- "The Institute".
- "Pranab nod to Besu upgrade". www.telegraphindia.com.
- "Press Information Bureau". pib.gov.in.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 25 March 2015. Retrieved 23 October 2018.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Bengal's first IIIT in Kalyani to start from July – Times of India".
- "IIIT Kalyani :: About IIIT".
- "Multi-Disciplinary Centers".
- "Schools of Excellence".
- "Library, IIESTS". newlibrary.iiests.ac.in.
- "Ramanujan Central Library". library.iiests.ac.in. Retrieved 10 February 2020.
- "Admissions- Undergraduate".
- "Joint Seat Allocation Authority 2020". josaa.nic.in. Retrieved 2 February 2021.
- "Admissions- Masters of Science".
- "Ph.D Programme". oldwww.becs.ac.in.
- "QS Asia University Rankings 2021". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2020.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2020 (Overall)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Education. 11 June 2020.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2020 (Engineering)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Education. 11 June 2020.
- "Narratives: J.S. Slater". Museum of the History of Science. Retrieved 10 February 2020.
- "Former Bengal power minister Sankar Sen passes away". Outlook. 9 February 2020. Retrieved 9 February 2020.
- "Life and works of Joseph Allen Stein". 31 July 2019.
- "Bimal K. Bose - IEEE Author Details".
- "Sir Rajen Mookerjee". Archived from the original on 9 January 2016. Retrieved 25 August 2013.
- Ahmed, Wakil (2012). "Sengupta, Jatindranath". In Islam, Sirajul; Jamal, Ahmed A. (eds.). Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.). Asiatic Society of Bangladesh.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, Shibpur.|