Daniel S. Goldman
Daniel S. Goldman
Daniel Sachs Goldman
1975/1976 (age 43–44)
|Education||Yale College (BA)|
Stanford Law School (JD)
|Known for||Lead counsel for the Democrats during the Impeachment inquiry against Donald Trump.|
(m. 2002; div. 2004)
Corinne Levy (m. 2013)
|Family||Rhoda Haas Goldman (grandmother)|
Richard Goldman (grandfather)
Walter A. Haas (great-grandfather)
Early life and familyEdit
Goldman was born to a Jewish family, the son of Susan (née Sachs) and Richard W. Goldman. His father was a federal prosecutor in Washington D.C. who died when Goldman was a child. His paternal grandparents were Rhoda Haas Goldman and Richard Goldman; his great-grandfather was Walter A. Haas, president of Levi Strauss & Co.; and his great great-grandfather was Abraham Haas the founder of the Smart & Final chain of food stores. His brother, Bill Goldman, died at the age of 38 in a plane crash. Goldman is a graduate of the Sidwell Friends School in Washington D.C. where his mother previously served as chairman. Goldman graduated with a B.A. from Yale University and a J.D. from Stanford School of Law.
Goldman was an assistant United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York under Preet Bharara, left in 2017 and became a legal analyst for NBC and an opinion contributor to The Daily Beast. He was hired as general counsel for the House Oversight Committee in March 2019, where he joined the Impeachment inquiry against Donald Trump.
Goldman was described as having "swagger as a trial lawyer" while prosecuting Billy Walters for insider trading. He also prosecuted Genovese crime family mobsters, including Fotios Geas, in 2011.
- "Weddings; Anne Montminy, Daniel Goldman". The New York Times. June 23, 2002.
- "Democrats' impeachment lawyer cut his teeth prosecuting mobsters, Wall Street cheats". Washington Post. Retrieved November 13, 2019.
Cucinella said she requested Goldman to be on the trial team "because he has a bit of a swagger as a trial lawyer, and it’s a confidence that serves him well. In a courtroom, he’s incredibly effective."
- Rogers, Alex (November 13, 2019). "Staff lawyers to take star role in first hearings on impeachment". CNN. Retrieved November 13, 2019.
- "Daniel Goldman: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know". Heavy.com. November 2019.
- "Bill Goldman, 38, historian, philanthropist and Levi Strauss heir, killed in plane crash". Jewish Telegraph Agency. July 14, 2017.
- Madhani, Aamer (November 13, 2019). "Impeachment Hearing Attorneys Daniel Goldman, Steve Castor May Become Household Names". NBC 4 Washington.
- "Daniel S. Goldman - The Daily Beast". The Daily Beast. Retrieved November 13, 2019.