Apple Watch Series 4
The Apple Watch Series 4 is a smartwatch by Apple Inc.. It was released during the 2018 Apple Special Event held at the Steve Jobs Theater in California. It has received mostly positive reviews from critics.
Series 4 (40mm)
|Also known as||Apple Watch 4|
|Product family||Apple Watch|
|Discontinued||September 10, 2019|
|Operating system||WatchOS 7.0 (September 16, 2020)|
|Predecessor||Apple Watch Series 3|
|Successor||Apple Watch Series 5|
The Apple Watch Series 4 features the Apple S4 dual-core processor, which Apple claims can deliver double the S3's performance. It also features 16GB of storage, a larger display compared to the Series 3, and a new electrical heart sensor that measures the potential difference between the wrist and a finger from the opposing hand into the S4 Module over 30 seconds. The ECG system has received clearance from the United States Food and Drug Administration, a first ever for a consumer device, and is supported by the American Heart Association. This device can also detect falls and will automatically contact emergency services unless the user cancels the outgoing call. The microphone was moved to the opposite side between the side button and the digital crown to improve call quality. Other changes include the digital crown incorporating haptic feedback with the Apple Haptic Engine and includes the new Apple-designed W3 wireless chip.
The watch received mostly positive reviews from critics. TechRadar gave it a score of 4.5/5, calling it one of the top smartwatches, while criticizing the short battery life. Digital Trends gave it a score of 5/5, calling it Apple's best product and praising the design, build quality, and software, among others, while criticizing the battery life. CNET gave it a score of 8.2/10, calling it the "best overall smartwatch around", while criticizing the battery life and lack of watch face options. T3 gave it a score of 5/5, calling it a "truly next-gen smartwatch" due to its thinner body and bigger screen compared to the Series 3, and health features.
The Apple Watch Series 4 sold 11.5 Million units in 2018. It was the best selling smartwatch in 2018.
- "Apple Watch now offers ECG, the first over-the-counter consumer device to do so". 9to5Mac. September 12, 2018. Retrieved November 18, 2018.
- Goode, Lauren (September 12, 2018). "Apple Watch's Update Adds Heart-Monitoring Capabilities". Wired. ISSN 1059-1028. Retrieved December 12, 2018.
- "Apple Watch Series 4: Beautifully redesigned with breakthrough communication, fitness and health capabilities". Apple Inc. Retrieved September 12, 2018.
- Beavis 2019-09-18T13:18:06Z, Gareth. "Apple Watch 4 review". TechRadar. Retrieved January 24, 2020.
- "Apple Watch Series 4 review". www.digitaltrends.com. Retrieved January 24, 2020.
- Stein, Scott. "Apple Watch Series 4 review: ECG, and a lot of refinements". CNET. Retrieved January 24, 2020.
- Bolton 2019-11-15T15:20:08Z, Matthew. "Apple Watch Series 4 review". T3. Retrieved January 24, 2020.
- Lovejoy, Ben (June 25, 2019). "Apple Watch shipments grew 22% in 2018, thanks to Series 4". 9to5Mac. Retrieved February 15, 2020.