|This article needs additional or better citations for verification. (April 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The Flintstones, which debuted in 1960, is considered the first example of the animated sitcom genre. The similar cartoon The Jetsons, which took place in the future rather than the past, followed in 1962.
Animated sitcoms have been adult-oriented and more controversial than traditional cartoons from the onset. The Flintstones was originally oriented at adults, as an animated version of The Honeymooners, though it was primarily popular with teenagers.
The Simpsons and expansion of the genreEdit
In 1987, The Simpsons shorts debuted on Fox's The Tracey Ullman Show. The first full-length episode, "Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire", debuted on December 17, 1989. It remained the sole mainstream adult-oriented situational comedy until the late 1990s.
Though many animated sitcoms have only lasted a few years or as little as one season, popular shows such as The Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, and Futurama all debuted before the year 2000 and lasted a long time, the first three still airing new episodes as of 2017 (Futurama ended in 2013). Netflix later became Fox's main competitor for adult animation following the release and streaming of BoJack Horseman and F Is for Family in the 2010s. The former received mixed reviews for the first half of season 1, but in its third season consensus on Rotten Tomatoes,the show was described as "one of the funniest and most heartbreaking shows on television". Canadian examples in this genre from the decade include Chilly Beach, Odd Job Jack, and, most recently, Fugget About It.
- Mark - Art Institute (7 February 2011). "8 Great Animated Sitcoms That Should’ve Lasted Longer Than One Season". College Life, Hot Girls, Funny Pics, Sexy Cheerleaders: COED.
- Cartoon Sitcom Face-Off Archived June 12, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- "A Brief History of Flintstones Vitamins". Mental Floss.
- "Wait Till Your Father Gets Home Description - Retro Junk". retrojunk.com.
- "The Debut of the Simpsons - 1987 - Nonstop 80s". nonstop80s.blogspot.com.
- "The Simpsons (TV Series 1989– )". IMDb.
- BoJack Horseman: Season 2 - Rotten Tomatoes, retrieved 2017-02-15
- BoJack Horseman: Season 1 - Rotten Tomatoes, retrieved 2017-02-15