Andrés "Andy" Muschietti (Spanish: [musˈkjeti]; born August 26, 1973) is an Argentine filmmaker who achieved wide recognition with the 2013 film Mama which he made with Neil Cross and his sister, producer and screenwriter Barbara Muschietti, based on the three-minute film of the same name. This film, which he made at age 39, had attracted the attention of Guillermo del Toro, who then served as executive producer.
Muschietti in 2016
26 August 1973
|Relatives||Barbara Muschietti (sister)|
He gained further recognition for directing both films in the It film series. The first being the 2017 eponymous film adaptation of the Stephen King novel It, which became the highest-grossing horror film of all time, and the second being its 2019 second part, It Chapter Two. Both are distributed by Warner Brothers and produced by New Line Cinema.
In 2013, Muschietti directed his debut film, the supernatural horror Mama, which he co-wrote with Neil Cross and his sister Barbara Muschietti, with the latter also acting as producer. It was based on Muschietti's three-minute short film Mamá, which attracted Guillermo del Toro, who stated that it had the "scariest" scenes he had "ever seen." The short convinced del Toro to executive produce the feature-length film, which starred Jessica Chastain, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Megan Charpentier and Isabelle Nelisse, and was released by Universal Pictures on January 18, 2013. The film grossed more than $146 million and had a budget of $15 million.
In July 2015, after the departure of Cary Fukunaga, Muschietti was hired by New Line Cinema to direct It, the two-part adaptation of the Stephen King novel. Barbara produced along with Dan Lin, Roy Lee, Seth Grahame-Smith and David Katzenberg. The films were released in 2017 and 2019, respectively.
Previously announced projectsEdit
In February 2013, Universal Pictures announced Muschietti would direct the film adaptation of the Josh Malerman novel Bird Box, which Scott Stuber, Chris Morgan and Barbara would produce, with Eric Heisserer set to write the script. In January 2014, Muschietti was reportedly among front-runners to direct a He-Man film for Warner Bros., a remake of Masters of the Universe. In June 2014, Deadline reported that Muschietti was on the shortlist of directors to direct a sequel to the fantasy film Snow White and the Huntsman for Universal. In September 2014, Sony Pictures named Muschietti to direct the film adaptation of Shadow of the Colossus after Josh Trank left due to a commitment to an upcoming Star Wars spin-off. Barbara would co-produce the film with Kevin Misher, with Seth Lochhead set to write the screenplay.
In February 2015, Deadline reported that Sony was looking to hire Muschietti to direct a live-action Robotech project, with Gianni Nunnari and Mark Canton attached to produce, and Michael B. Gordon as screenwriter. In March 2015, Plan B Entertainment optioned the film rights to Stephen King's short story The Jaunt from the Skeleton Crew collection, with Muschietti to direct and Barbara attached as producer.
|2013||Mama||Yes||Yes||No||Based on his short film|
|2017||It||Yes||No||No||Based on the novel by Stephen King|
|2019||It Chapter Two||Yes||No||No|
|TBA||Locke & Key||No||No||Executive||Netflix Original Series|
|Attack on Titan||Yes||No||No|
|1996||Moebius||Public relations manager|
|Evita||Set production assistant|
|2000||Una noche con Sabrina Love||Second assistant director|
Actor: TV Switcher
- "Mensaje de Andy Muschietti". September 8, 2017.
- Mumford, Gwilym (September 29, 2017). "Stephen King's It scares off The Exorcist to become highest-grossing horror ever". The Guardian. Retrieved October 10, 2017.
- Chitwood, Adam (2019-08-29). "'It' Director Andy Muschietti Confirms 'The Flash' Is His Next Movie". Collider. Retrieved 2019-08-29.
- "Next FLASH Director Confirmed: IT's ANDY MUSCHIETTI". Newsarama. Retrieved 2019-08-29.
- McNary, Dave (2018-10-29). "'It' Directory Andy Muschietti Boards 'Attack on Titan'". Variety. Retrieved 2019-09-01.
- Chang, Justin (January 15, 2013). "Mama". Variety.
- Rolfe, Pamela (April 17, 2013). "Bittersweet Results for Spanish Box Office in First Quarter". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 17, 2013.
- Tartaglione, Nancy (May 5, 2013). "Studios Translate Local Language Movies Into Lucrative Global Business". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 17, 2013.
- Couch, Aaron (December 29, 2012). "Guillermo Del Toro Plugs 'Claustrophobic' 'Mama' Short (Video)". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved July 17, 2015.
- "Universal Eyes 'Mama' Sequel Although Director Andrés Muschietti Isn't Interested". hitfix.com. February 20, 2013. Retrieved July 17, 2015.
- "Mama (2013)". boxofficemojo.com. Retrieved July 17, 2015.
- Kit, Borys (September 13, 2013). "'Mama' Director in Talks to Helm 'Mummy' Reboot for Universal". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved July 17, 2015.
- Sneider, Jeff (May 6, 2014). "'Mummy' Reboot Loses 'Mama' Director Andy Muschetti". thewrap.com. Retrieved July 17, 2015.
- Kit, Borys (July 16, 2015). "Stephen King's 'It' Finds New Director (Exclusive)". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved July 17, 2015.
- Kit, Borys (February 26, 2013). "'Mama' Director to Helm Adaptation of 'Bird Box' (Exclusive)". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved July 17, 2015.
- "Eric Heisserer In Talks To Adapt 'Bird Box' For Universal". Deadline Hollywood. July 16, 2013. Retrieved July 17, 2015.
- The Phantom (January 10, 2014). "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Close to Happening; Looking at New Directors!". Schmoes Know. Retrieved July 17, 2015.
- Fleming, Jr, Mike (June 4, 2014). "'Huntsman 2' Helmer Short List: Frank Darabont, Gavin O'Connor, Andy Muschietti". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 17, 2015.
- Kroll, Justin (September 4, 2014). "Andrés Muschietti to Direct 'Shadow of the Colossus' Adaptation for Sony". Variety. Retrieved July 17, 2014.
- Fleming, Jr, Mike (February 4, 2015). "Robotech Movie Back With Hollywood Gang, '300' Scribe Michael Gordon". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 17, 2015.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (March 12, 2015). "Plan B Takes 'The Jaunt' With Stephen King And 'Mama' Helmer Andy Muschietti". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 17, 2015.
- McNary, Dave (October 29, 2018). "Andy Muschietti to Direct 'Attack on Titan' for Warner Bros. (Exclusive)". Variety. Retrieved October 29, 2018.
- Kit, Borys (July 2, 2019). "'Flash' Shocker: 'It' Director Andy Muschietti in Talks to Tackle DC Movie (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 7, 2019.
- Harding, Oscar. "Mama: Interview With Director Andrés Muschietti". whatculture.com. Archived from the original on March 4, 2016. Retrieved July 19, 2015.