Dan Lin (Chinese: 林暐; pinyin: Lin Wei) is an American film producer. He is the CEO of Rideback (formerly known as Lin Pictures), a film and television production company based at Warner Bros. that he formed in January 2008. Lin produced The Lego Movie (2014), The Lego Batman Movie (2017), The Lego Ninjago Movie (2017), and is the producer of the upcoming The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part (2019). Lin is also the producer of the horror film It, which holds the record for highest-grossing horror film.
Lin at the 2013 San Diego Comic-Con International
Between his first and second year at Harvard Business School, Lin undertook a summer internship program with Lorenzo Di Bonaventura, who was then an executive with Warner Bros. Pictures. In 1999, a day after Lin's graduation, the studio executive offered Lin a junior position at Warners. Lin worked his way up to Senior Vice President of Production and left in 2007 to form his own company. During his eight years at Warners, Lin oversaw the development and production of the Academy Award-winning film The Departed, directed by Martin Scorsese. Other films Lin oversaw include 10,000 BC, directed by Roland Emmerich; The Aviator, directed by Martin Scorsese; Alexander, directed by Oliver Stone; TMNT; The Invasion; Unaccompanied Minors; Matchstick Men; Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed; and Torque.
In January 2008 he formed Lin Pictures, based at Warner Bros. He described the transition from development executive to producer as natural: "It’s a symbiotic relationship between the studio and the producers, we all work together towards the same goal – make the best movie possible."
Lin currently serves on the board of directors for the Coalition of Asian Pacifics in Entertainment and is a mentor for both the Producers Guild of America and the Center for Asian American Media. In September 2008, Lin was honored as one of Variety's "10 Producers to Watch." In April 2015, Lin was named to The Hollywood Reporter's list of 'The 30 Most Powerful Film Producers in Hollywood'
- Torque (2004) – Development executive
- The Departed (2006) – Development executive
- Unaccompanied Minors (2006) – Development executive
- Terminator Salvation (2009) – Executive Producer
- Shorts: The Adventures of the Wishing Rock (2009) – Executive Producer
- The Invention of Lying (2009) – Producer
- The Box (2009) – Producer
- Sherlock Holmes (2009) – Producer
- Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (2011) – Producer
- Gangster Squad (2013) – Producer
- The Lego Movie (2014) – Producer
- The Lego Batman Movie (2017) – Producer
- It (2017) – Producer
- The Lego Ninjago Movie (2017) – Producer
- Death Note (2017) – Producer
- The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part (2019) – Producer
- The Billion Brick Race (2019) – Producer
- Aladdin (2019) – Producer
- Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) – Executive Producer
- It: Chapter Two (2019) – Producer
- Lilo & Stitch – Producer
- Poe (2011) – Executive Producer (pilot)
- The Secret Lives of Wives (2012) – Executive Producer (pilot)
- To My Future Assistant (2013) – Executive Producer (pilot)
- Forever (2014–15) – Executive Producer
- Lethal Weapon (2016–present) – Executive Producer
- Frequency (2016) – Executive Producer
- Murder remake (2017) - Executive Producer (in development)
- Andreeva, Nellie (September 22, 2017). "Lin Pictures Hires Former Tristar TV Exec". Deadline. Retrieved September 26, 2017.
- Lang, Brent (September 22, 2017). "'It' Becomes Highest Grossing Horror Film of All Time". Variety. Retrieved September 26, 2017.,
- "Film and Television Production Company". Lin Pictures. Retrieved December 12, 2011.
- http://www.movieset.com/sherlock-holmes/castandcrew/2m98uq/producer/dan-lin[dead link]
- "Exclusive Interview: Producer Dan Lin on SHERLOCK HOLMES; Plus he Addresses the Brad Pitt Rumors". Collider.com. Retrieved December 12, 2011.
- Fleming, Michael (September 3, 2008). "Dan Lin – Entertainment News, 10 Producers to Watch, Media". Variety. Retrieved December 12, 2011.
- "The 30 Most Powerful Film Producers in Hollywood". The Hollywood Reporter. April 13, 2015. Retrieved October 1, 2017.