Christina Hodson is a British screenwriter whose screenplays include Bumblebee (2018) and Birds of Prey (2020). She has had three scripts on the Black List, an annual list of Hollywood's best liked unproduced screenplays.
Christina Hodson at the premiere of Bumblebee (2018)
Hodson is originally from London, England. She is of Taiwanese and English descent and was educated at Wimbledon High School, London.
Hodson initially worked as a development executive in London for Focus Features. She transitioned from development executive to screenwriter in 2012 after her first screenplay, psychological thriller Shut In, made the 2012 Black List of best un-produced scripts. Hodson's Shut In was bought by David Linde's Lava Bear Films. The film, starring Naomi Watts, was directed by Farren Blackburn and released 11 November 2016.
In June 2015, Hodson joined the team at Paramount Pictures tasked by Michael Bay with expanding the Transformers universe, under supervision of Akiva Goldsman. She wrote the script for the Bumblebee, a Transformers film that focuses on the title character, which was released in December 2018. Travis Knight, the director of Kubo and the Two Strings, was the director. Hodson also co-wrote the script of the film Unforgettable (2017) with David Leslie Johnson, which was acquired by Warner Bros. Producer Denise Di Novi directed the film.
She wrote the screenplay for the 2020 film, Birds of Prey and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn for Warner Bros., based on the DC Comics series of the same name.
In December 2013, Hodson's script Seed appeared on the 2013 Black List. In September 2014, Sony Pictures Entertainment acquired Hodson's female-centered sci-fi action script The Eden Project, which Tobey Maguire and Material Pictures would produce. That script later appeared on the 2014 Black List. In May 2015, Warner Bros. hired Hodson to write the new script for The Fugitive, based on the 1993 film of same name. Arnold Kopelson and Anne Kopelson would be returning as producers.
By October 2016, she was working on a female-centric action epic for Nina Jacobson at Color Force and Fox 2000. In April 2018, she was also hired to write a Barbara Gordon / Batgirl film for Warner Bros. Both of these films will be part of the DC Extended Universe. By July 2019, she was hired to replace Jonathan Goldstein as screenwriter for a film centered around the DC comics character The Flash for Warner Bros. Like Birds of Prey, this film will be a part of the DC Extended Universe.
|2016||Shut In||Farren Blackburn|
|2017||Unforgettable||Denise Di Novi|
|2020||Birds of Prey||Cathy Yan|
|2022||The Flash||Andy Muschietti||Pre-production|
- "Christina Hodson – 2016 Austin Film Festival and Conference Schedule". Austin Film Festival. Retrieved 30 October 2016.
- "Scriptnotes, Ep 346: Changing the Defaults — Transcript". johnaugust.com. Retrieved 2 November 2018.
- Finke, Nikki (17 December 2012). "The Black List 2012: Screenplay Roster". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 1 June 2017.
- Vlessing, Etan (5 November 2014). "AFM: Naomi Watts Joins Psychological Thriller 'Shut In'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (2 June 2015). "No Boys Club In 'Transformers' Writers Room: Christina Hodson, Lindsey Beer Join Brain Trust". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (11 November 2016). "Paramount Buzzing Over Christina Hodson 'Bumblebee' Transformers Spinoff Script". Deadline Hollywood.
- Busch, Anita (3 March 2017). "Travis Knight To Direct 'Transformers' Spinoff 'Bumblebee' At Paramount". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 1 June 2017.
- Kit, Borys (22 June 2015). "Producer Denise Di Novi to Make Directorial Debut With Warner Bros. Thriller (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- "Margot Robbie Reveals Full 'Birds of Prey' Title: 'The Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn'". thehollywoodreporter. 20 November 2018. Archived from the original on 22 November 2018. Retrieved 20 November 2018.
- Gonzalez, Umberto (11 November 2016). "Harley Quinn-Birds of Prey Movie's Screenwriter Revealed (Exclusive)". TheWrap. Retrieved 16 December 2017.
- Kroll, Justin (16 December 2013). "The Black List Announces 2013 Screenplays (Complete List)". Variety. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- Kit, Borys (26 September 2014). "Sony Picks Up Female-Centric Sci-Fi Action Script 'Eden Project' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (12 May 2015). "Warner Bros Putting 'The Fugitive' Back On The Run". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- Holson, Laura M. (9 December 2016). "Nina Jacobson Has Her Revenge on Hollywood's Old-Boy Network". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 1 June 2017.
- Kit, Borys (9 April 2018). "'Batgirl' Movie Back On, Now With 'Bumblebee' Writer (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 9 April 2018.