3rd Legislative Council of Hong Kong
The Third Legislative Council of Hong Kong was the meeting of the legislative branch of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government. The membership of the LegCo is based on the 2004 election. The term of the session was from 1 October 2004 to 30 September 2008, during the second half of the Tung Chee-hwa's administration until his resignation in 2005 and was replaced by Donald Tsang for the rest of the term, and also the beginning of the third term of Chief Executive after Tsang won in the 2007 Election. The Democratic Alliance for the Betterment of Hong Kong (DAB) became the largest party with 10 seats (not including the two DAB members who ran under the Hong Kong Federation of Trade Unions banner). Notable newcomers to the Legislative Council included Leung Kwok-hung, Alan Leong, Ronny Tong, Albert Cheng, and Jeffrey Lam.
|3rd Legislative Council of Hong Kong|
|Meeting place||Legislative Council Building|
|Term||1 October 2004 – 30 September 2008|
|President||Rita Fan (Independent)|
|Party control||Pro-Beijing camp|
|Democratic Alliance for the Betterment of Hong Kong||10||9|
|Hong Kong Federation of Trade Unions||3||3|
|Federation of Hong Kong and Kowloon Labour Unions||1||1|
|Total for Pro-Beijing camp||35||34|
|Article 45 Concern Group/Civic Party||4||6|
|League of Social Democrats||0||2|
|Hong Kong Confederation of Trade Unions||2||2|
|Hong Kong Association for Democracy and People's Livelihood||1||1|
|Neighbourhood and Worker's Service Centre||1||1|
|April Fifth Action||1||0|
|Total for Pan democracy camp||25||26|
Note: Italic represents organisations that still function but become under another affiliation.
Graphical representation of the Legislative CouncilEdit
|President||Independent||Rita Fan Hsu Lai-tai||Hong Kong Island||1998|
List of membersEdit
The following table is a list of LegCo members elected on 12 September 2004 in the order of precedence..
Members who did not serve throughout the term are italicised. New members elected since the general election are noted at the bottom of the page.
Key to changes since legislative election:
- a = change in party allegiance
- b = by-election
- Bernard Chan (Insurance), Raymond Ho (Engineering), Patrick Lau Architectural, Surveying and Planning), Lui Ming-wah (Commercial), and Abraham Shek (Real Estate and Construction), the existing members of the Breakfast Group launched a political grouping called The Alliance.
- Audrey Eu (Hong Kong Island), Alan Leong (Kowloon East), Ronny Tong (New Territories East and Margaret Ng (Legal) from the Article 45 Concern Group co-founded the Civic Party in March 2006 with Mandy Tam (Accountancy and Fernando Cheung (Social Welfare) joining. Audrey Eu became the first leader of the party.
- Independent Albert Chan (New Territories West) and April Fifth Action's Leung Kwok-hung co-founded the League of Social Democrats.
- Finance Committee— Chair: Emily Lau (2004—07), Tam Yiu-chung (2007–08)
- Public Accounts Committee— Chair: Philip Wong
- Committee on Members' Interests— Chair: Sophie Leung
- House Committee— Chair: Miriam Lau
- Parliamentary Liaison Subcommittee— Chair: Howard Young
- Committee on Rules of Procedure— Chair: Jasper Tsang
- Panel on Administration of Justice and Legal Services— Chair: Margaret Ng
- Panel on Commerce and Industry— Chair: Sophie Leung (2004—06), Vincent Fang (2006—08)
- Panel on Constitutional Affairs— Chair: Lui Ming-wah
- Panel on Development— Chair: Lau Wong-fat
- Panel on Economic Development— Chair: James Tien (2004—06), Jeffrey Lam (2006—08)
- Panel on Education— Chair: Yeung Sum (2006—08), Jasper Tsang (2006—08)
- Panel on Environmental Affairs— Chair: Choy So-yuk (2004—06), Audrey Eu (2006—08)
- Panel on Financial Affairs— Chair: Bernard Chan (2004—06), Chan Kam-lam (2006—08)
- Panel on Food Safety and Environmental Hygiene— Chair: Fred Li (2004—06), Tommy Cheung (2006—08)
- Panel on Health Services— Chair: Andrew Cheng (2004–05), Kwok Ka-ki (2005–06), Joseph Lee (2006—07), Li Kwok-ying (2007—08)
- Panel on Home Affairs— Chair: Tommy Cheung (2004—06), Choy So-yuk (2006—08)
- Panel on Housing— Chair: Chan Kam-lam (2004—06), Lee Wing-tat (2006—08)
- Panel on Information Technology and Broadcasting— Chair: Sin Chung-kai (2004—06), Albert Cheng (2006—08)
- Panel on Manpower— Chair: Lau Chin-shek
- Panel on Public Service— Chair: Tam Yiu-chung (2004—06), Howard Young (2006—08)
- Panel on Security— Chair: James To (2004—06), Lau Kong-wah (2006—08)
- Panel on Transport— Chair: Lau Kong-wah (2004—06), Andrew Cheng (2006—08)
- Panel on Welfare Services— Chair: Chan Yuen-han (2004—05, 2006—07), Fernando Cheung (2005—06, 2007—08)
- Ng, Teddy (22 December 2005). "HK opposition reject election reform package". China Daily. Retrieved 11 May 2013.
- "Bills Committee on Interception of Communications and Surveillance Bill". Legislative Council of Hong Kong. 11 May 2013.
- "Bills Committee on Smoking (Public Health) (Amendment) Bill 2005". 11 May 2013.