Joseph Lee Kok-long SBS JP PhD RN (born 14 August 1959, Macau) is a former member of the Legislative Council of Hong Kong (Legco), representing the Health Services functional constituency. He is a member of the Pro-democracy camp.
Joseph Lee Kok-long
|Member of the Legislative Council|
1 October 2004 – 1 December 2020
|Preceded by||Michael Mak|
|Succeeded by||David Lam |
(Medical and Health Services)
|Born||14 August 1959|
|Spouse(s)||Dianna Lee Tze-fan|
|Alma mater||Shau Kei Wan Government Secondary School|
La Trobe University
University of Edinburgh
Lee received his Bachelor of Nursing degree from the La Trobe University, Australia in 1992. His master's degree was in nursing/education from the University of Edinburgh. In 2002 he completed his PhD thesis, Ascertaining Patient Condition: a grounded theory study of diagnostic practice in nursing from Lingnan University in Hong Kong.
Lee became a member of the Legislative Council in 2004, representing the Health Services functional constituency.
In June 2010, he voted in favour of the government's 2012 constitutional reform package, which included the late amendment by the Democratic Party – accepted by the Beijing government – to hold a popular vote for five new District Council functional constituencies.
In March 2011, he abstained on legislation accepting reduced funding from Beijing for Hong Kong.
On 6 January 2021, Lee was among 53 members of the pro-democratic camp who were arrested under the national security law, specifically its provision regarding alleged subversion. The group stood accused of the organisation of and participation in unofficial primary elections held by the camp in July 2020. Lee was released on bail on 7 January.
Lee served on the following Legco committees:
- 2008–09 Panel Committees:
- Panel on Health Services
- Panel on Food Safety & Environmental Hygiene
- Panel on Housing
- 2008–09 Bill Committees:
- Independent Police Complaints Council Bill
- Prevention and Control of Disease Bill
- Subcommittee on Harmful Substances in Food (Amendment) Regulation 2008
He also serves as:
- the Chairman of Association of Hong Kong Nursing Staff;
- Vice-chairman of Independent Police Complaints Council.
He is a member of:
- the Hospital Authority and the Nursing Council of Hong Kong;
- the Hospital Governing Committee of Kwai Chung Hospital and Princess Margaret Hospital, Hong Kong;
- the Commission on Strategic Development;
- the Estate Agents Authority;
- the Operations Review Committee;
- the Independent Commission Against Corruption.
- Joseph Lee Kok-long: "Revamp government health policy", Open University of Hong Kong
- Joseph Lee Kok-long's Legco biodata Archived 28 December 2010 at the Wayback Machine
- "民主派初選｜衞生服務界大敗 李國麟服從結果：得186票打咗個突". 香港01 (in Chinese (Hong Kong)). 14 July 2020. Retrieved 17 July 2020.
- Cheung, Gary; Albert Wong and Fanny WY Fung (25 June 2010). "Cheers and jeers for political reform vote". South China Morning Post. Retrieved 25 June 2010.
- http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail.asp?pp_cat=11&art_id=109210&sid=31679370&con_type=1[permanent dead link]
- "National security law: Hong Kong rounds up 53 pro-democracy activists". BBC News. 6 January 2021. Retrieved 13 February 2021.
- Chau, Candice (8 January 2021). "'Hong Kong has entered a bitter winter,' says primaries organiser as 52 democrats in mass arrest bailed out". Hong Kong Free Press. Retrieved 4 February 2021.
- Biography at personal website