2016 United States Olympic Trials (track and field)
The 2016 United States Olympic Trials for track and field were held at Hayward Field in Eugene, Oregon. Organized by USA Track and Field, the ten-day competition lasted from July 1 to July 10 and served as the national championships in track and field for the United States.
|2016 United States Olympic Track And Field Trials|
|Host city||Eugene, Oregon, U.S.|
|Date(s)||July 1 - July 10|
|Main stadium||Hayward Field|
|Events||40 (men: 20; women: 20)|
The results of the event determined qualification for the American Olympic team at the 2016 Summer Olympics, to be held in Rio de Janeiro. Provided they had achieved the Olympic standard, the top three athletes gained a place on the Olympic team. In the event that a leading athlete did not hold the standard, or an athlete withdrew, the next highest finishing athlete with the standard was selected instead.
The trials for the men's and women's marathon were held February 13 in Los Angeles and the trials for the men's 50 km race walk were held February 21 in Santee, California. The trials for the 20 kilometres race walk will be held on June 30 in Salem, Oregon in front of the state capitol. Only the Olympic qualifiers from that race were invited to appear at Hayward Field.
Athlete without Olympic qualifying standard, not selected
Athlete without Olympic qualifying standard, invited to Olympics based on world list position
(Wind: +1.6 m/s)
|Justin Gatlin||9.80||Trayvon Bromell||9.84||Marvin Bracy||9.98|
(Wind: +1.6 m/s)
|Justin Gatlin||19.75||LaShawn Merritt||19.79||Ameer Webb||20.00|
|400 meters||LaShawn Merritt||43.97||Gil Roberts||44.73||David Verburg||44.82|
|800 meters||Clayton Murphy||1:44.76||Boris Berian||1:44.92||Charles Jock||1:45.48|
|1500 meters||Matthew Centrowitz||3:34.09||Robby Andrews||3:34.88||Ben Blankenship||3:36.18|
|5000 meters||Bernard Lagat||13:35.50||Hassan Mead||13:35.70||Paul Chelimo||13:35.92|
|10,000 meters||Galen Rupp||27:55.04||Shadrack Kipchirchir||28:01.52||Leonard Korir||28:16.97|
|110 meters hurdles
(Wind: +1.0 m/s)
|Devon Allen||13.03||Ronnie Ash||13.21 (.205)||Jeff Porter||13.21 (.206)|
|400 meters hurdles||Kerron Clement||48.50||Byron Robinson||48.79||Michael Tinsley||48.82|
|3000 meters steeplechase||Evan Jager||8:22.48||Hillary Bor||8:24.10||Donn Cabral||8:26.37|
|20 km walk[a]||John Nunn ≠||1:25:37||Trevor Barron ≠||1:27:28||Nick Christie ≠||1:27:44|
|High jump [b]||Erik Kynard||2.29 m (7 ft 6 in)||Kyle Landon ≠||2.26 m (7 ft 4 3⁄4 in)||Bradley Adkins||2.21 m (7 ft 3 in)|
|Pole vault||Sam Kendricks||5.91 m (19 ft 4 1⁄2 in) CR||Cale Simmons||5.65 m (18 ft 6 1⁄4 in)||Logan Cunningham||5.60 m (18 ft 4 1⁄4 in)|
|Long jump[c]||Jeffery Henderson||8.59 m (28 ft 2 in)
(Wind: +2.9 m/s)
|Jarrion Lawson||8.58 m (28 ft 1 3⁄4 in)
(Wind: +1.8 m/s)
|Will Claye ≠||8.42 m (27 ft 7 1⁄4 in)|
(Wind: +5.0 m/s)
|Triple jump||Will Claye||17.65 m (57 ft 10 3⁄4 in)
(Wind: +2.0 m/s)
|Christian Taylor||17.39 m (57 ft 1⁄2 in)
(Wind: -0.8 m/s)
|Chris Benard||17.21 m (56 ft 5 1⁄2 in)|
(Wind: -0.9 m/s)
|Shot put||Ryan Crouser||22.11 m (72 ft 6 1⁄4 in)||Joe Kovacs||21.95 m (72 ft 0 in)||Darrell Hill||21.63 m (70 ft 11 1⁄2 in)|
|Discus throw||Mason Finley||63.42 m (208 ft 0 in)||Tavis Bailey||61.57 m (202 ft 0 in)||Andrew Evans||61.22 m (200 ft 10 in)|
|Hammer throw[d]||Rudy Winkler||76.76 m (251 ft 10 in)||Kibwé Johnson||75.11 m (246 ft 5 in)||Conor McCullough||74.14 m (243 ft 2 in)|
|Javelin throw[e]||Cyrus Hostetler||83.24 m (273 ft 1 in)||Curtis Thompson ≠||82.88 m (271 ft 10 in)||Riley Dolezal≠||79.67 m (261 ft 4 in)|
|Decathlon||Ashton Eaton||8750||Jeremy Taiwo||8425||Zach Ziemek||8413|
- a None of John Nunn, Trevor Barron and Nick Christie, who finished in top 3 at the US Olympic Trials, reached the 1:24:00 qualifying time in the 20 km walk.
- b Landon did not achieve the 2.29 m qualifying standard. Ricky Robertson, who finished in a tie for sixth place, was the next highest placed athlete with a qualifying mark and received the third Olympic spot.
- c Will Claye did not have the long jump Olympic qualifying standard of 8.15 m; he missed it by one centimeter in the qualifying round, and his best jumps in the final were wind-aided. Fourth-place finisher Marquis Dendy, who also jumped 8.42 m but lost to Claye on second-best jumps, was named to the Olympic team. Fifth-place finisher Mike Hartfield was the alternate and eventually replaced Dendy, who withdrew from the Olympics due to a leg injury.
- d No Americans reached the 77.00 m qualifying distance in the hammer throw, but Winkler, Johnson and McCullough were all invited by the IAAF based on their top-32 world list position.
- e Curtis Thompson and Riley Dolezal finished second and third at the US Olympic Trials but did not achieve the standard. Sam Crouser finished fourth, Sean Furey finished eleventh and both have the qualification standard from 2015.
Key: . Athlete without Olympic qualifying standard, not selected
(Wind: +1.0 m/s)
|English Gardner||10.74||Tianna Bartoletta||10.78 (.778)||Tori Bowie||10.78 (.779)|
(Wind: -0.6 m/s)
|Tori Bowie||22.25||Deajah Stevens||22.30||Jenna Prandini||22.53|
|400 meters||Allyson Felix||49.68||Phyllis Francis||49.94||Natasha Hastings||50.17|
|800 meters||Kate Grace||1:59.10||Ajee' Wilson||1:59.51||Chrishuna Williams||1:59.59|
|1500 meters||Jennifer Simpson||4:04.74||Shannon Rowbury||4:05.39||Brenda Martinez||4:06.16|
|5000 meters[d]||Molly Huddle||15:05.01||Shelby Houlihan||15:06.14||Kim Conley||15:10.62|
|10,000 meters||Molly Huddle||31:41.62||Emily Infeld||31:46.09||Marielle Hall||31:54.77|
|100 meters hurdles
(Wind: +1.2 m/s)
|Brianna Rollins||12.34||Kristi Castlin||12.50||Nia Ali||12.55|
|400 meters hurdles||Dalilah Muhammad||52.88||Ashley Spencer||54.02||Sydney McLaughlin||54.15|
|3000 meters steeplechase||Emma Coburn||9:17.48||Courtney Frerichs||9:20.92||Colleen Quigley||9:21.29|
|20 km walk||Maria Michta-Coffey||1:33:41||Miranda Melville||1:34:12||Katie Burnett≠||1:41:13|
|High jump||Chaunté Lowe||2.01 m (6 ft 7 in)||Vashti Cunningham||1.97 m (6 ft 5 1⁄2 in)||Inika McPherson||1.93 m (6 ft 3 3⁄4 in)|
|Pole vault||Jenn Suhr||4.80 m (15 ft 8 3⁄4 in)||Sandi Morris||4.75 m (15 ft 7 in)||Alexis Weeks||4.70 m (15 ft 5 in)|
|Long jump||Brittney Reese||7.31 m (23 ft 11 3⁄4 in) CR
(Wind: +1.7 m/s)
|Tianna Bartoletta||7.02 m (23 ft 1⁄4 in)
(Wind: +2.3 m/s)
|Janay DeLoach||6.93 m (22 ft 8 3⁄4 in)|
(Wind: +1.7 m/s)
|Triple jump||Keturah Orji||14.32 m (46 ft 11 3⁄4 in)
(Wind: +1.1 m/s)
|Christina Epps||14.17 m (46 ft 5 3⁄4 in)
(Wind: +0.6 m/s)
|Andrea Geubelle||13.95 m (45 ft 9 in)|
(Wind: +0.9 m/s)
|Shot put||Michelle Carter||19.59 m (64 ft 3 1⁄4 in)||Raven Saunders||19.24 m (63 ft 1 1⁄4 in)||Felisha Johnson||19.23 m (63 ft 1 in)|
|Discus throw||Whitney Ashley||62.25 m (204 ft 2 in)||Shelbi Vaughan||60.28 m (197 ft 9 in)||Kelsey Card||60.13 m (197 ft 3 in)|
|Hammer throw||Amber Campbell||74.03 m (242 ft 10 in)||Gwen Berry||73.09 m (239 ft 9 in) (72.04)||Deanna Price||73.09 m (239 ft 9 in) (71.66)|
|Javelin throw[e]||Maggie Malone||60.84 m (199 ft 7 in)||Hannah Carson≠||58.19 m (190 ft 10 in)||Kara Winger||57.90 m (189 ft 11 in)|
|Heptathlon||Barbara Nwaba||6494||Heather Miller-Koch||6423||Kendell Williams||6402|
- d Abbey D'Agostino, who placed fifth in the 5,000 meters in 15:14.04, was named to the Olympic team after both Molly Huddle, who won, and Emily Infeld, who placed fourth and was first in line to replace her, decided to only run the 10,000 meters at the Olympics.
- e Hannah Carson placed second in the javelin throw, but did not have the Olympic qualifying standard of 62.00 m. Brittany Borman, who finished fourth at the Olympic Trials, was the only other American with a qualifying mark (64.75 m in 2015) and received the third Olympic spot.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived (PDF) from the original on 2016-09-20. Retrieved 2016-06-23.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Allyson Felix Overcomes Ankle Sprain to Take 400 Title, Make Fourth Olympic Team". United States Olympic Committee. July 3, 2016. Archived from the original on July 7, 2016. Retrieved July 4, 2016.
- Brooks, Amanda (July 29, 2016). "Hartfield replaces Dendy in U.S. long jump for Rio". USA Track & Field. Archived from the original on August 1, 2016. Retrieved July 30, 2016.
- 2016 U.S. Olympic Team Trials - Track & Field - 6/30/2016 to 7/10/2016 Eugene, Oregon Results. USA Track & Field. Retrieved on 2016-07-16.
- Main website Results page