Wikipedia:Selected anniversaries/November 4
- 1847 – Scottish physician James Young Simpson discovered the anaesthetic qualities of chloroform on humans.
- 1864 – American Civil War: Nathan Bedford Forrest led a cavalry division in an attack on a Union Army supply base at Johnsonville, Tennessee, resulting in the capture of 150 prisoners.
- 1938 – The deportation of several thousand Jews from Slovakia by the Hlinka Guard and police began.
- 1970 – Authorities in California discovered a 13-year-old feral child known as Genie, who had spent almost her entire life in social isolation.
- 1995 – Israeli prime minister Yitzhak Rabin (pictured) was assassinated by ultranationalist Yigal Amir while at a peace rally at Kings of Israel Square in Tel Aviv.