- 1780 – In the Spanish Viceroyalty of Peru, Túpac Amaru II led a rebellion of Aymara, Quechua, and mestizo peasants in protest against the Bourbon Reforms.
- 1890 – London's City and South London Railway, the first deep-level underground railway in the world, officially opened, running a distance of 3.2 mi (5.1 km) between the City of London and Stockwell.
- 1922 – The tomb of Tutankhamun (pictured) was discovered by a team led by British Egyptologist Howard Carter.
- 1944 – Second World War: Allied forces completed Operation Pheasant, a major operation to clear German troops from the province of North Brabant in the Netherlands.
- 2016 – The Paris Agreement under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change came into effect.