Wikipedia:Selected anniversaries/November 3
- 1534 – The English parliament passed the first Act of Supremacy, making King Henry VIII head of the Church of England, supplanting the pope and the Catholic Church.
- 1898 – After several months of military stalemate between French and British forces in Fashoda (now in South Sudan), the French withdrew, ending the Fashoda Incident.
- 1935 – Almost 98 percent of reported votes in a Greek referendum supported the restoration of George II (pictured) as King of the Hellenes.
- 1956 – Suez Crisis: During an invasion of the Gaza Strip, Israeli soldiers shot and killed hundreds of Palestinian refugees and local inhabitants in Khan Yunis.
- 1969 – U.S. president Richard Nixon made a plea for support from the "silent majority", referring to those Americans who did not join in the large demonstrations against the Vietnam War at the time.