Wikipedia:Selected anniversaries/May 29
- 1453 – With the conquest of Constantinople, the Byzantine Empire fell to the Ottomans.
- 1852 – Swedish operatic soprano Jenny Lind (pictured) concluded a successful concert tour of the United States under the management of showman P. T. Barnum.
- 1935 – The Messerschmitt Bf 109, the most-produced fighter aircraft in history, made its first flight.
- 1942 – Bing Crosby recorded his version of the song "White Christmas", which went on to become the best-selling single of all time, with more than 50 million copies sold.
- 1954 – The first annual Bilderberg Meeting of leaders from European countries and the United States opened in Oosterbeek, Netherlands.