Western Military District
|Western Military District|
Западный военный округ
Emblem of the Western Military District
|Founded||October 20, 2010 – present|
|Part of||Russian Armed Forces|
|Headquarters||General Staff Building, Saint Petersburg|
|Decorations||Order of Lenin|
|Lieutenant General Viktor Astapov (acting)|
It is one of the five military districts of the Russian Armed Forces, with its jurisdiction primarily within the western central region of European Russia. The Western Military District was created as part of the 2008 military reforms, and founded by Presidential Decree №1144 signed on September 20, 2010, as an amalgamation of the Moscow Military District, Leningrad Military District and Kaliningrad Special Region. The district began operation on October 20, 2010, under the command of Colonel-General Valery Gerasimov.
The Western Military District is the second smallest military district in Russia by geographic size. The district contains 26 federal subjects of Russia: Belgorod Oblast, Bryansk Oblast, Ivanovo Oblast, Kaliningrad Oblast, Kaluga Oblast, Karelia, Kostroma Oblast, Kursk Oblast, Leningrad Oblast, Lipetsk Oblast, Moscow, Moscow Oblast, Nizhny Novgorod Oblast, Novgorod Oblast, Oryol Oblast, Pskov Oblast, Ryazan Oblast, Saint Petersburg, Smolensk Oblast, Tambov Oblast, Tver Oblast, Tula Oblast, Vladimir Oblast, Vologda Oblast, Voronezh Oblast, Yaroslavl Oblast. On 1 December 2014, the Arctic Joint Strategic Command was split off from the Western Military District, removing Arkhangelsk Oblast, Murmansk Oblast, Komi Republic, and the Nenets Autonomous Okrug, as well as the Russian Navy's Baltic Fleet and Northern Fleet, from the district's command.
The Western Military District is headquartered in the General Staff Building in Saint Petersburg, and its current district commander is Colonel-General Andrey Kartapolov, who has held the position since April 2017.
On 26 February 2014, during the Crimean crisis, President Vladimir Putin ordered the Russian Armed Forces to be "put on alert in the Western Military District as well as units stationed with the 2nd Army Central Military District Command involved in aerospace defense, airborne troops and long-range military transport." Despite media speculation it was for in reaction to the events in Ukraine, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said it was unrelated to the unrest in Ukraine.
Direct reporting units and formationsEdit
- Operational Group of Russian Forces in the Transnistrian region of the Republic of Moldova (Tiraspol, Transnistria)
- 45th Guards Berlin Engineering Brigade (Murom)
- 132nd Signals Brigade
- 29th, 34th and 38th Railway Brigades of the Russian Railway Troops
- 1st Engineer Brigade (Murom)
- 27th NBC Brigade
- 154th Preobrazhensky Independent Commandant's Regiment (Moscow)
- 1st Semyonovsky Independent Rifle Regiment (Ramensky District, Moscow Oblast)
- 79th Guards Rocket Artillery Brigade (Tver)
- 45th High-Power Artillery Brigade "Svir" (Tambov)
- 16th Independent EW Brigade (Plavsk)
- 45th Independent Engineering and Camouflage Regiment 
- 4th Guards Tank Division (Naro-Fominsk)
- 2nd Guards Motor Rifle Division (Kalininets)
- 6th Tank Brigade
- 27th Independent Guards Sevastopol Motor Rifle Brigade (Mosrentgen)
- 96th Reconnaissance Brigade
- 53rd Anti-Aircraft Rocket Brigade (Kursk)
- 112th Rocket Brigade (Shuya)
- 288th Artillery Brigade
- 20th Independent NBC Defense Regiment (p.Tsentralny, Nizhny Novgorod region)
- 60th Control Brigade
HQ: Saint Petersburg
- 138th Guards Motor Rifle Brigade (Kamenka)
- 25th Motor Rifle Brigade "Latvian Riflemen" (n. Vladimirsky Lager)
- 9th Guards Artillery Brigade (Luga) (ru:9-я гвардейская артиллерийская бригада)
- 268th Guards Artillery Brigade (Pushkin)
- Engineering unit
- 5th Anti-Aircraft Rocket Brigade (Gorelovo)
- 95th Administration and Command Brigade (Gorelovo)
- 26th Rocket Brigade (Luga)
- 3rd Motor Rifle Division (Boguchar)
- 144th Guards Motor Rifle Division (Yelnya)
- 1st Independent Guards Tank Brigade "Ural-Lvov" (Boguchar) (reformed 2015)
- 99th Weapons and Equipment Storage Base (Tver)
- 49th Anti-Aircraft Rocket Brigade
- 9th Administration Brigade
- 448th Rocket Brigade (Kursk)
- 7015th Weapons and Equipment Storage Base (Mulino)
- 69th Materiel Security Brigade
- 45th Guards Spetsnaz Brigade (Kubinka, Moscow)
- 76th Guards Air Assault Division (Pskov)
- 98th Guards Airborne Division (Ivanovo)
- 106th Guards Airborne Division (Tula)
- 38th Airborne Signal Regiment (n. Bear Lake, Moscow region)
Intelligence/Spetsnaz units and formationsEdit
- 11th Army Corps (Kaliningrad)
- 7th Guards Motor Rifle Regiment (Kaliningrad)
- 79th Guards Motor Rifle Brigade (Gusev)
- 336th Guards Bialystok Naval Infantry Brigade (village Mechnikovo, Baltiysk) (Naval Infantry)
- 25th Coastal Rocket Brigade (Don)
- 152nd Guards Rocket Brigade (Chernyakhovsk, Kaliningrad)
- 244th Guards Artillery Brigade (Kaliningrad)
- 183rd Fleet Ground Forces Rocket Regiment (Gvardeysk)
- 73rd Independent Bridge Battalion
- 742th Fleet Signals Unit
- 302nd Fleet Radio-Electronic Regiment
- 61st Naval Infantry Brigade (Sputnik)
- 80th Independent (Arctic Warfare) Motor Rifle Brigade
- 200th Independent Motor Rifle Brigade (Pechenga, Murmansk region)
- 536th Fleet Independent Coastal Defense Rocket Artillery Brigade (Snezhnogorsk)
- 516th Fleet Signals Unit (Severomorsk)
- 180th Naval Engineering Battalion
In April 2017 it was reported by mil.ru that the 14th Army Corps had been formed in the Northern Fleet/Arctic Joint Strategic Command. It appears that this army corps, formed with its number in view of the World War II actions of the Soviet 14th Army, includes the 80th Motor Rifle Brigade (Arctic) and the 200th Motor Rifle Brigade.
- Colonel-General Valery Gerasimov (20 October 2010 - 28 October 2010 (acting))
- Colonel-General Arkady Bakhin (28 October 2010 - 9 November 2012)
- Colonel-General Anatoly Sidorov (24 December 2012 - 10 November 2015)
- Colonel-General Andrey Kartapolov (10 November 2015 - 19 December 2016)
- Lieutenant-General Viktor Astapov (19 December 2016 - April 2017 (acting))
- Colonel-General Andrey Kartapolov (April 2017 - 30 July 2018)
- Lieutenant-General Viktor Astapov (since 30 July 2018 (acting))
Chief of staff
- Admiral Nikolai Maksimov (28 October 2010 - October 2012)
- Lieutenant-General Andrey Kartapolov (December 2012 - 21 June 2014)
- Lieutenant-General Viktor Astapov (21 June 2014 - present)
- "Указ Президента Российской Федерации от 20 сентября 2010 года № 1144 «О военно-административном делении Российской Федерации»". Archived from the original on 2012-03-31. Retrieved 2014-11-29.
- Создано новое стратегическое командование Rossiyskaya Gazeta, 1 December 2014.
- Северный флот возьмет Арктику под постоянный контроль Rossiyskaya Gazeta, 31 May 2017.
- Milenin, Andrei (20 September 2016). "Александр Дворников назначен командующим войсками ЮВО" [Aleksandr Dvornikov appointed commander of the Southern Military District]. Isvestia (in Russian). Retrieved 2 October 2016.
- Alpert, Lukas I. "Russia Orders Military Exercises Amid Ukraine Tension". The Wall Street Journal.
- "В состав общевойсковой армии ЗВО вошло подразделение специального назначения" [Spetsnaz unit included in Western Military District combined arms army] (in Russian). Press Service of the Western Military District. 19 December 2018. Retrieved 28 December 2018.
- Galeotti, Mark (2017). The Modern Russian Army 1992–2016. Elite 217. Oxford: Osprey. p. 30. ISBN 978-1-47281-908-6.
- Ramm, Alexey; Andreev, Evgeny. "Минобороны вернуло "надувной" полк". Izvestia. Inews. Retrieved 20 December 2017.
- "The Russian Camouflage Regiment". OE Watch. 07 (10): 20. November 2017. Retrieved 20 December 2017.
- "Две новые дивизии ЗВО и ЮВО полностью обустроят в мае 2017 года". РИА Новости (in Russian). 11 November 2016. Retrieved 2017-03-04.
- "В Воронежской области сформирована новая танковая бригада" [New armored brigade formed in Voronezh region]. lenta.ru (in Russian). Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- "Новая танковая бригада пополнила состав войск Западного военного округа" [New Tank Brigade has expanded the composition of the Western Military District]. Interfax.ru (in Russian). 14 September 2015. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- bmpd (2017-04-22). "В составе объединенного стратегического командования "Север" сформирован 14-й армейский корпус". bmpd. Retrieved 2017-06-16.