Usman Alkali Baba CFR (born 1 March 1963), was the 21st Nigerian Inspector General of Police. He was appointed by the President of Nigeria Muhammadu Buhari to replace Mohammed Adamu who retired from Nigeria Police Force in February 2021. The Police Council on Friday, June 4, 2021, confirmed the appointment of Alkali Usman Baba as the substantive Inspector General of Police.
Usman Alkali Baba
|Inspector General of Police|
6 April 2021 – 19 June 2023
|Preceded by||Mohammed Adamu|
|Succeeded by||Kayode Egbetokun|
|Born||1 March 1963|
Early life and education edit
Alkali is from Geidam, Yobe State, Nigeria. In 1980, he received a Teacher's Grade II Certificate from Teachers College, Potiskum, Yobe State. He studied political science at Bayero University Kano, graduating in 1985, before preceding to University of Maiduguri where he received master's in public administration in 1997. Baba was a member of course 22/2014 2014 at National Defence College.
Alkali enlisted in the Nigeria Police Force on 15 March 1988 and later became an assistant superintendent of police, before gaining the promotion of commissioner of police on 27 January 2013. In 2014, he was posted to Delta State as the commissioner of police. He served as DIG Force CID, force secretary at the force headquarters, Abuja, Nigeria. He served in FCT as the deputy commissioner, investigation and in the staff college as a directing staff. He has also served in Kaduna as the deputy commissioner, administration and assistant commissioner, CID. He served in Ilorin as an area commander. At Ebonyi State, he was the second-in-command. He has served in Kaduna, Yola, Jos and Gombe State as divisional police officer, DPO. Baba was a former assistant inspector-general of police Zone 5, in-charge of Edo State, Delta State and Bayelsa State. Baba is a fellow of the International War College and a member of the International Association of Police.
Inspector-general of police edit
On 6 April 2021, the President of Nigeria Muhammadu Buhari appointed Baba to replace Mohammed Adamu who retired from Nigeria Police Force in February 2021. Until his appointment as the IG of police, he was a deputy inspector-general of police, force criminal investigation department, force headquarters.
- Olumide, Johnson. "Usman Alkali Baba Biography: 8 things you didn't know about new IGP". Retrieved 15 July 2021.
- Abiodun, Alao (6 April 2021). "8 things to know about new IGP Usman Alkali Baba". The Nation Newspaper. Retrieved 6 April 2021.
- "Buhari Approves Appointment Of Usman Alkali As Acting IGP". Channels TV. 6 April 2021. Retrieved 6 April 2021.
- Eribake, Akintayo (6 April 2021). "I've come to police Delta with human face — CP Alkali". Vanguard Newspaper. Retrieved 6 April 2021.
- "Facts on Acting DIG Usman Alkali, Just Appointed By Buhari". The News Nigeria. 6 April 2021. Retrieved 6 April 2021.
- Nwafor, Polycarp (6 April 2021). "Who is Usman Alkali Baba, acting IGP?". Vanguard Newspaper. Retrieved 6 April 2021.
- "AIG Alkali resumes at police Zone 5". Blueprint Newspaper. 18 October 2018. Retrieved 6 April 2021.
- Egbas, Jude (6 April 2021). "Buhari names Usman Baba new IGP". Pulse NG. Retrieved 6 April 2021.
- Oludiran, Olusola (6 April 2021). "Police minister: Why ex-IGP Adamu didn't complete his three months tenure extension". TheCable. Retrieved 6 April 2021.
- "FULL LIST: 2022 National Honours Award Recipients The Nation Newspaper". 9 October 2022. Retrieved 27 October 2022.