Mohammed Abubakar Adamu (born 17 September 1961) is a Nigerian police officer who is currently the 20th Inspector General of Police of Nigeria. He was appointed by President Muhammadu Buhari on 15 January 2019 replacing Ibrahim Kpotun Idris (rtd) of Niger State. Mohammed Adamu hails from Lafia, in Nasarawa State.
Mohammed Abubakar Adamu
|20th Inspector General of Police|
|Assumed office |
15 January 2019
|Preceded by||Ibrahim Kpotun Idris|
|Born||17 September 1961|
Lafia, Nasarawa State, Nigeria
|Alma mater||Ahmadu Bello University, University of Portsmouth|
Before his appointment as Inspector General of Police, he was an Assistant Inspector-General of Police in Benin City, Edo State and was responsible for the overall management and operations of the NPF Zone 5, comprising Bayelsa, Delta and Edo State police commands.
Early life and careerEdit
He was born on 17 September 1961 and enlisted into the Nigerian Police Force in 1986, after graduating from the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria with a bachelor's degree (Hons) in Geography. He also holds a master's degree in International Criminal Justice System from the University of Portsmouth, England.
Between 1983 and 1984, Adamu had his National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) in Wamba, Nasarawa State and taught Geography at Government Teachers College, Wamba, Plateau State, during the one-year service, then in 1984 — 1986, he was appointed as Geography tutor and later promoted to Vice Principal at Government Day Secondary School, Gunduma, Keffi, Plateau State, but presently in Nasarawa State.
Career in Nigeria Police ForceEdit
Few years later, he joined the Nigeria Police Force as a Cadet Assistant Superintendent of Police in 1986, and trained at the Police College in Ikeja, Lagos State where he worked as the Divisional Crime & Administrative Officer at the Mgbidi Police Station in Mgbidi, Imo State. He served at many levels such as Officer in charge of General Investigation at the NPF Zone 6 Headquarters in Calabar.
Adamu also has extensive international experience, he worked at Interpol's NCB in Lagos from 1989-1997. He was the first Nigerian to be seconded to Interpol General Secretariat, Lyon in 1997 where he served as specialized officer in Economic and Financial Crime, Sub-directorate from 1997- 2002. He became the first black African to be appointed Assistant Director in charge of African Sub-Directorate from 2002-2005. He was again the first African in the history of INTERPOL to serve as Director when he was appointed director of NCB Services and I-24/7 Development from 2005-2007.
When he returned to Nigeria, he appointed as Director in charge of Peacekeeping and Training at the Nigeria Police Headquarters, Abuja. Between 2013 and 2015 he was appointed Deputy Commissioner of Police and Commissioner of Police in Enugu State command.
President Muhammadu Buhari appointed him as the Acting Inspector General of Police on 15 January 2019, to replace Ibrahim Idris. Barely a week after he took over, He disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) established by the previous Inspector General of Police. On 28 January 2019, Adamu acting as the new inspector general of police submitted six names of the new deputy inspectors of police to the police service commission for general approval. His full appointment as the 20th indigenous inspector general of police was confirmed by Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR, President of Nigeria on 23 May 2019.
Amongst others, he was awarded as 2015 Best Commissioner of Police in community policing in Nigeria.
- Erezi, Dennis (15 January 2019). "Buhari names Mohammed Adamu as acting IGP". Guardian. Nigeria. Retrieved 28 October 2020.
- "Buhari Confirms Abubakar Adamu Mohammed As New Acting IGP (Photos)". Concise News. 15 January 2019. Retrieved 17 January 2019.
- "Ag. IGP Adamu Assumes Duty". THISDAYLIVE. 15 January 2019. Retrieved 17 January 2019.
- "Geography teacher, 17 years at INTERPOL — five things you probably didn't know about IGP Adamu". TheCable. 15 January 2019. Retrieved 21 July 2019.
- "7 things to know about new IGP, Mohammad Adamu". www.pulse.ng. 15 January 2019. Retrieved 21 July 2019.
- siteadmin (15 January 2019). "CLOSE-UP: First Black African To Become Interpol Assistant Director — Who Is New IGP Abubakar Adamu?". Sahara Reporters. Retrieved 21 July 2019.
- "Official CV: All You Need To Know About Nigeria's New Police Chief, Mohammed Adamu". Premium Times Nigeria. 15 January 2019. Retrieved 17 January 2019.
- "Buhari appoints acting Police Inspector-General". Premium Times Nigeria. 15 January 2019. Retrieved 17 January 2019.
- "Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, retires". Oak TV Newstrack. 15 January 2019. Retrieved 22 January 2019.
- Television, Oak (22 January 2019). "Full Video: New IGP, Adamu, disbands SARS". OAK TV. Retrieved 22 January 2019.
- "Ex-EFCC boss, Lamorde, 5 others make list of new police DIGs". Oak TV Newstrack. oak tv. 28 January 2019. Retrieved 28 January 2019.
- Ukwu, Jerrywright (16 January 2019). "Breaking: Ibrahim Idris officially hands over to IGP Adamu". Legit.ng - Nigeria news. Retrieved 21 July 2019.