Hi, and welcome to my talk page!

  • To leave me a new message click here.
  • I usually reply here, unless you request otherwise.

If you are blocked, or want to contact me privately you can e-mail me.

Administrators' newsletter – January 2022Edit

News and updates for administrators from the past month (December 2021).

  Guideline and policy news

  • Following consensus at the 2021 RfA review, the autopatrolled user right has been removed from the administrators user group; admins can grant themselves the autopatrolled permission if they wish to remain autopatrolled.



  • The functionaries email list (functionaries-en lists.wikimedia.org) will no longer accept incoming emails apart from those sent by list members and WMF staff. Private concerns, apart from those requiring oversight, should be directly sent to the Arbitration Committee.

Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 00:25, 3 January 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

How we will see unregistered usersEdit


You get this message because you are an admin on a Wikimedia wiki.

When someone edits a Wikimedia wiki without being logged in today, we show their IP address. As you may already know, we will not be able to do this in the future. This is a decision by the Wikimedia Foundation Legal department, because norms and regulations for privacy online have changed.

Instead of the IP we will show a masked identity. You as an admin will still be able to access the IP. There will also be a new user right for those who need to see the full IPs of unregistered users to fight vandalism, harassment and spam without being admins. Patrollers will also see part of the IP even without this user right. We are also working on better tools to help.

If you have not seen it before, you can read more on Meta. If you want to make sure you don’t miss technical changes on the Wikimedia wikis, you can subscribe to the weekly technical newsletter.

We have two suggested ways this identity could work. We would appreciate your feedback on which way you think would work best for you and your wiki, now and in the future. You can let us know on the talk page. You can write in your language. The suggestions were posted in October and we will decide after 17 January.

Thank you. /Johan (WMF)

18:13, 4 January 2022 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – February 2022Edit

News and updates for administrators from the past month (January 2022).

  Guideline and policy news

  Technical news

  • The user group oversight will be renamed suppress in around 3 weeks. This will not affect the name shown to users and is simply a change in the technical name of the user group. The change is being made for technical reasons. You can comment in Phabricator if you have objections.
  • The Reply Tool feature, which is a part of Discussion Tools, will be opt-out for everyone logged in or logged out starting 7 February 2022. Editors wishing to comment on this can do so in the relevant Village Pump discussion.



Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 03:02, 3 February 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Precious anniversaryEdit

One year!

--Gerda Arendt (talk) 09:17, 14 February 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Thank you! the wub "?!" 23:06, 15 February 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Administrators' newsletter – March 2022Edit

News and updates for administrators from the past month (February 2022).

  Guideline and policy news

  Technical news



Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 01:47, 2 March 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Hi who is Chitti? You can reply in my (talk) page — Preceding undated comment added 13:54, 4 March 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Growth Newsletter #20Edit

17:12, 16 March 2022 (UTC)

Campaigns Product Update #3Edit

Hello Campaigns Product Newsletter subscribers!

We are excited to share our updates:

  • Proposal to create new namespaces: We have proposed to create two namespaces, which are “Event” and “Event talk.” This way, we can easily create an Event Center that pulls data from event pages. This Event Center may include tools to create event pages with registration support, a calendar of events, and event statistics, among other features. More importantly, the Event Center will highlight organizing as an essential part of the Wikimedia movement. Please give us feedback on Phabricator or Meta about our proposal to create two new namespaces.
  • Engineering updates: We are excited that we have finished hiring for our engineering team! Three engineers and an engineering manager have joined our team since our last update. In the last few months, they have conducted technical planning and launched the building phase of the project. They are now building the registration tool. You can see the updated team on meta.
  • Design updates: We conducted usability tests with a small group of testers for early feedback on the desktop wireframes. After collecting this feedback, we have developed a new version for desktop wireframes, which will be ready to share in the next few weeks. These desktop wireframes display the user flow of two experiences: one for organizers who want to add registration to their event pages, and another for participants who want to register for an event. Additionally, the design team is also currently working on the first version of mobile wireframes, which will be shared during the next office hour.
1. View the latest desktop wireframes in Figma for Campaign Organizer Prototype and Participant Registration Prototype.
2. Leave us some feedback on the desktop wireframes. Note that we haven’t posted the newest version of the desktop wireframes on the project page yet, but we will soon (and you can feel free to add feedback on any version you have seen).
  • Ambassador updates: Three product ambassadors for the Arabic, French and Swahili communities have now joined our team! They will help us collect feedback from Wikimedia communities about the project and understand the needs of organizers, through gathering first-hand information. These ambassadors are immersed as actual members of these communities, so they will also help us identify the needs of the organizers in our pilot communities. The ambassadors are: M. Bachounda for Arabic communities, Georges Fodouop for French communities, and Antoni Mtavangu for Swahili communities.

What is next?

Next Office Hour: We will be holding an office hour on March 31, 2022 at 15:00 UTC, which will be conducted via Zoom. We invite everyone to attend, and we really hope to see you! The focus will be on the Registration Tool. The team will also be providing community updates on the usability test findings and design highlights for the wireframes. We will also share our current Project timeline and answer any questions you may have. Join us and share your thoughts on these developments!
In a few months, we are expecting to have the early testable version of the tool. By then, the team will be doing the first round of general testing and gathering feedback. We are looking forward to adding more features on the tool such as communication support, potentially by the end of this year. If you know other organizers that might be interested in following these developments, please recommend that they subscribe to the newsletter. We want to receive as much feedback as we can.

Thank you!

The Campaign Product Team

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 17:26, 22 March 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Special dayEdit

{{u|Sdkb}}talk 05:54, 24 March 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Thanks! the wub "?!" 10:44, 24 March 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Happy First Edit Day!Edit

Campaign Product Team Office Hour - March 31, 2022Edit

Hello Campaign Product Newsletter subscribers!

The Campaign Product Team will be hosting the next office hour to share exciting updates on the Registration Tool and new proposed namespaces for events. We will also be sharing community updates on the usability tests and design highlights of the latest mobile and desktop wireframes.

Join us and share your thoughts on these developments!

Date: March 31, 2022
Time: 15:00 UTC
Zoom Link: https://wikimedia.zoom.us/j/82046580320

You may also watch Campaigns Office Hour: Introducing the Campaigns Product Team to learn more about the Team and the previous wireframes.

Feel free to send a message to ibrazal-ctr@wikimedia.org if you want to receive an email reminder for this meeting.

Thank you.

The Campaign Product Team

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 17:37, 30 March 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Administrators' newsletter – April 2022Edit

News and updates for administrators from the past month (March 2022).

  Guideline and policy news

  Technical news

  • Access to Special:RevisionDelete has been expanded to include users who have the deletelogentry and deletedhistory rights. This means that those in the Researcher user group and Checkusers who are not administrators can now access Special:RevisionDelete. The users able to view the special page after this change are the 3 users in the Researcher group, as there are currently no checkusers who are not already administrators. (T301928)
  • When viewing deleted revisions or diffs on Special:Undelete a back link to the undelete page for the associated page is now present. (T284114)



Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 18:14, 7 April 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

New administrator activity requirementEdit

The administrator policy has been updated with new activity requirements following a successful Request for Comment.

Beginning January 1, 2023, administrators who meet one or both of the following criteria may be desysopped for inactivity if they have:

  1. Made neither edits nor administrative actions for at least a 12-month period OR
  2. Made fewer than 100 edits over a 60-month period

Administrators at risk for being desysopped under these criteria will continue to be notified ahead of time. Thank you for your continued work.

22:53, 15 April 2022 (UTC)

Museums dashboard glitchEdit

Hallo, I created a little stub for Church Cottage Museum as it was the only local black symbol on the map at the Museums Day project ... and tried to register it as a contribution (just as a gesture really, not a serious Competitor!) but on https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Events/International_Museum_Day_2022/Participate the link to "UK Dashboard" fails (" Programs & Events Dashboard - 500 — internal server error. :-(" ). Is this your territory, or could you pass a message on to someone appropriate? Thanks. PamD 07:55, 6 May 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Hi @PamD. Not my territory I'm afraid, and actually not WMF's either: that dashboard is maintained by Wiki Education. I dropped them an email in case they hadn't seen, and bumped up the priority of the phabricator task. Hopefully they can get it fixed soon. the wub "?!" 11:03, 6 May 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
@PamD Sage restarted the server, and it's working again. the wub "?!" 12:15, 6 May 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Thanks. I've tried to register my little stub, but perhaps it's really only wanting work on WikiData - but I updated that record by adding a link to its first wikiepedia article, so I guess that counts. PamD 12:23, 6 May 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Administrators' newsletter – May 2022Edit

News and updates for administrators from the past month (April 2022).

  Guideline and policy news

  Technical news


Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 23:35, 9 May 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Happy Birthday!Edit

Wishing The wub a very happy birthday on behalf of the Birthday Committee!   interstatefive  (talk) - just another roadgeek 00:00, 29 May 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Happy birthday!!!Edit

Happy Birthday!Edit

Editing newsletter 2022 – #1Edit

Read this in another languageSubscription list for the multilingual newsletterLocal subscription list

New editors were more successful with this new tool.

The New topic tool helps editors create new ==Sections== on discussion pages. New editors are more successful with this new tool. You can read the report. Soon, the Editing team will offer this to all editors at most WMF-hosted wikis. You can join the discussion about this tool for the English Wikipedia is at Wikipedia:Village pump (proposals)#Enabling the New Topic Tool by default. You will be able to turn it off in the tool or at Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-editing-discussion.

The Editing team plans to change the appearance of talk pages. These are separate from the changes made by the mw:Desktop improvements project and will appear in both Vector 2010 and Vector 2022. The goal is to add some information and make discussions look visibly different from encyclopedia articles. You can see some ideas at Wikipedia talk:Talk pages project#Prototype Ready for Feedback.

Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk)

23:15, 30 May 2022 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – June 2022Edit

News and updates for administrators from the past month (May 2022).

  Guideline and policy news

  Technical news

  • Administrators using the mobile web interface can now access Special:Block directly from user pages. (T307341)
  • The IP Info feature has been deployed to all wikis as a Beta Feature. Any autoconfirmed user may enable the feature using the "IP info" checkbox under Preferences → Beta features. Autoconfirmed users will be able to access basic information about an IP address that includes the country and connection method. Those with advanced privileges (admin, bureaucrat, checkuser) will have access to extra information that includes the Internet Service Provider and more specific location.


Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 17:56, 2 June 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

A Dobos torte for you!Edit

  7&6=thirteen () has given you a Dobos torte to enjoy! Seven layers of fun because you deserve it.

To give a Dobos torte and spread the WikiLove, just place {{subst:Dobos Torte}} on someone else's talkpage, whether it be someone you have had disagreements with in the past or a good friend.

7&6=thirteen () 17:55, 22 June 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

@7&6=thirteen Delicious, I remember enjoying one of these when visiting Hungary a few years ago. Thank you very much! the wub "?!" 19:00, 22 June 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Late ThanksEdit

Hi there, I would like to say thank you for fixing the template "Template: Get parameter". I know this is a week late but still. THTB lol'nt (talk) 11:01, 28 June 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Growth team newsletter #21Edit

13:03, 5 July 2022 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – July 2022Edit

News and updates for administrators from the past month (June 2022).

  Technical news

  • user_global_editcount is a new variable that can be used in abuse filters to avoid affecting globally active users. (T130439)



  • The New Pages Patrol queue has around 10,000 articles to be reviewed. As all administrators have the patrol right, please consider helping out. The queue is here. For further information on the state of the project, see the latest NPP newsletter.

Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 13:29, 10 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Event Registration Tool: Demo and Invitation to TestEdit

Hello Subscribers!

The Campaigns Product Team from the Wikimedia Foundation will be hosting two office hours to demo the new Event Registration Tool, and train organizers how to use it. In these office hours, you will learn how to:

  • Create an event page in the new event namespace (as an event organizer)
  • Enable registration on your event page (as an event organizer)
  • Collect data on who registered for your event (as an event organizer)
  • Register for an event on the event page (as an event participant)

You can attend one office hour or both, depending on your availability on the following dates:

  • Session 1: Thursday, July 21, 2022 at 5:00 PM UTC
  • Session 2: Saturday, July 23, 2022 at 12:00 PM UTC

These events will be multilingual, with live interpretations in Arabic, English, French, Italian, and Portuguese, and Swahili. Note that Portuguese will be available on the 21st, but not the 23rd. We strongly encourage you to join and share your feedback on the tool. Your feedback will help us improve the tool so that Wikimedians can have a better event experience. To register, please reply to this email or sign-up to our page, by adding your signature.

Thank you!

IBrazal (WMF) (talk) 06:38, 18 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Campaign Product Team Office Hour - July 21, 2022Edit

Hello Campaign Product Newsletter subscribers!

The Campaign Product Team will be having an office hour today, July 21, 2022 at 17:00 UTC via Zoom to demo the first release of the Event Registration Tool.

You may join the office hour using this meeting link.

We look forward to your participation.

Thank you.


The Campaign Product Team

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 14:46, 21 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

A long time in the makingEdit

  It came home!
What a difference a year makes. Couldn't have written a better ending. Thanks for all your hard work! Cielquiparle (talk) 10:07, 1 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
@Cielquiparle Agreed! I'll admit I was not getting my hopes up too much having been disappointed so many times before, but what a triumph. And so great to see the support behind the team! the wub "?!" 14:45, 1 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Administrators' newsletter – August 2022Edit

News and updates for administrators from the past month (July 2022).

  Administrator changes

  Anthony Appleyard (deceased) • CapitalistroadsterSamsara

  Guideline and policy news

  • An RfC has been closed with consensus to add javascript that will show edit notices for editors editing via a mobile device. This only works for users using a mobile browser, so iOS app editors will still not be able to see edit notices.
  • An RfC has been closed with the consensus that train stations are not inherently notable.

  Technical news

  • The Wikimania 2022 Hackathon will take place virtually from 11 August to 14 August.
  • Administrators will now see links on user pages for "Change block" and "Unblock user" instead of just "Block user" if the user is already blocked. (T308570)


  • The arbitration case request Geschichte has been automatically closed after a 3 month suspension of the case.


  • You can vote for candidates in the 2022 Board of Trustees elections from 16 August to 30 August. Two community elected seats are up for election.
  • Wikimania 2022 is taking place virtually from 11 August to 14 August. The schedule for wikimania is listed here. There are also a number of in-person events associated with Wikimania around the world.
  • Tech tip: When revision-deleting on desktop, hold ⇧ Shift between clicking two checkboxes to select every box in that range.

Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 08:45, 5 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Semi-protection for Timeline of the 21st centuryEdit

I was wondering if you could semi-protect that page as it has faced persistent unconstructive editing from IP sockpuppets of the same user (who has been blocked) Serendipodous 09:51, 23 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

@Serendipodous Wow, that's one persistent user. Semi-protected it for 3 months. It might be good to have an editnotice for that and similar pages setting out inclusion criteria. Even if it doesn't deter our sockpuppeteer, it could help out some good faith users. the wub "?!" 10:19, 23 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Thank you that was... a long few years. Serendipodous 17:52, 23 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Feedback on Vector (2022) conversationEdit

The slides to our latest Wikimania presentation

Hello! As a member of WikiProject Usability, I wanted to draw your attention to a conversation currently underway on WP:VPR (see the beginning of the discussion) around adopting Vector 2022 as the new default skin.

The Web team at the Wikimedia Foundation has been working on Vector 2022 for the past three years, collaborating with the English Wikipedia community as well as other wikis to ensure that the skin performs better qualitatively and quantitatively for readers and communities than the previous Vector skin. The goal of the new skin is to create a more welcoming and easier to use experience for readers and editors across the wiki. For more details, see our new FAQ.

For the past couple of months, we have collected thoughts from the English Wikipedia community on what changes need to be made to the skin prior to it being considered ready for deployment. Our next step would be to start an RfC to assess whether the community considers Vedtor 2022 ready.

Prior to the beginning of the RfC, we wanted to draw your attention to the current conversation and encourage your feedback on the skin.

Our results from Vector 2022 at a glance
  • The sticky header makes it easier to access tools that editors use often. It decreases scrolling to the top of the page by 16%
  • The new table of contents makes it easier to navigate to different sections. Readers and editors jumped between sections 50% more than with the old table of contents
  • The new search bar is easier to find and makes it easier to find the correct search result from the list. This increased the amount of searches started by 30% on the wikis we tested on
  • The collapsible sidebar allows readers and editors to choose whether they want to see the main menu or not. Our testing shows that this allows people to better focus on their current task - reading with a collapsed menu, or editing with an open menu
  • The language switching menu makes it possible to switch languages without scrolling
  • The user menu collects all user links in a single place, making it easier to understand what each link does. In testing, 71% of surveyed editors reported positive experiences with the new menu

Thank you, OVasileva (WMF), SGrabarczuk (WMF) (talk) 12:27, 25 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Editing news 2022 #2Edit

Read this in another languageSubscription list for this multilingual newsletter

The [subscribe] button shortens response times.

The new [subscribe] button notifies people when someone replies to their comments. It helps newcomers get answers to their questions. People reply sooner. You can read the report. The Editing team is turning this tool on for everyone. You will be able to turn it off in your preferences.

Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk) 00:36, 26 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Administrators' newsletter – September 2022Edit

News and updates for administrators from the past month (August 2022).

  Guideline and policy news

  • A discussion is open to define a process by which Vector 2022 can be made the default for all users.
  • An RfC is open to gain consensus on whether Fox News is reliable for science and politics.

  Technical news


  • An arbitration case regarding Conduct in deletion-related editing has been closed. The Arbitration Committee passed a remedy as part of the final decision to create a request for comment (RfC) on how to handle mass nominations at Articles for Deletion (AfD).
  • The arbitration case request Jonathunder has been automatically closed after a 6 month suspension of the case.


  • The new pages patrol (NPP) team has prepared an appeal to the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) for assistance with addressing Page Curation bugs and requested features. You are encouraged to read the open letter before it is sent, and if you support it, consider signing it. It is not a discussion, just a signature will suffice.
  • Voting for candidates for the Wikimedia Board of Trustees is open until 6 September.

Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 11:13, 1 September 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Lambeth Walk - Nazi Style - by Charles A. RidleyEdit

Hello, I note that you were the uploader of the Lambeth Walk - Nazi Style - by Charles A. Ridley video file. I have recently done my best to clean up the Triumph of the Will page but in the course of doing so, realised that the film may remain copyrighted in both Germany and the United States.

Would a derivative work published by the UK Ministry of Information not be subjected to the same copyright? After all, the video features footage from the film. Just seeking your opinion if I should nominate it for deletion. Best regards. Seloloving (talk) 11:31, 10 September 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

@Seloloving Oh, thanks for spotting that. I admit I hadn't even thought about the original film still being copyrighted. Yes, probably best to nominate it for deletion so the copyright gurus at Commons can weigh in. the wub "?!" 12:29, 10 September 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Campaigns Product Update #4Edit

Hello Campaigns Product Newsletter subscribers!

We are excited to share our updates:

  • Event Registration v0
We have successfully launched Event Registration tool V0 on beta cluster and collected feedback from the first batch of testers. This tool is part of a more comprehensive organizing solution, the Event Center, which hopes to support movement organizers. Through this registration solution, organizers can collect useful data on campaign participants and their needs while respecting participant privacy.
Testing update. In our first round of feedback collection, testers were composed of different types of organizers around the movement with a language focus on Arabic, French, English, and Swahili communities. Most of the testers successfully created their test event registrations and signed up for a test event registration created by other organizers. Simple, easy to use, and aids in managing event participants were the common feedback we received from first-time users. In contrast, access and proper localization of the tool were the points for improvement identified. We are working on V1, which will include communication support and integration with the Programs and Event Dashboard. This will be released on Meta-Wiki soon. We hope to address accessibility during this launch and improve localization problems once the tool has been deployed in local wikiprojects.
The tool is still available for testing on the beta cluster. Feel free to leave feedback on our project talk page or this form.
  • Organizer Lab
    Looking for a way to learn how to effectively organize around sustainability? Join the beta version of the Organizer Lab on WikiLearn to understand how to effectively organize a global campaign around sustainability and climate change! Applications are open from September 22 - October 19, 2022. The Organizer Lab will be a 9-week online learning experience from the end of October until mid December that prepares participants to obtain knowledge about the topics that they wish to create, a call to action for strategic knowledge gaps, as well as more generalized Wikimedia organizing and campaign/event design skills.
Read more about the program!

What's Next:

  • Organizer User Rights. We are reaching out to a pool of administrators from Arabic, French and Swahili communities to collect feedback on what is the best way to define organizer user rights, what privileges to give to community organizers, and what are the limitations of these privileges. Feel free to reach out to our product ambassadors or send an email to ibrazal-ctr@wikimedia.org if you are interested to be part of these conversations.

Community Feedback:

"Participants have been always asking the organizers are asked by participants whether they are registered, now participants will just look directly if they are registered, Thank you for creating the system"
- French Organizer

“I think that the platform will facilitate the process of promoting events and searching for participants”
- Arabic Organizer

Thank you!

The Campaigns Product Team

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 06:30, 21 September 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Growth team newsletter #22Edit

17:18, 21 September 2022 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – October 2022Edit

News and updates for administrators from the past month (September 2022).

  Guideline and policy news

  Technical news

  • The Articles for creation helper script now automatically recognises administrator accounts which means your name does not need to be listed at WP:AFCP to help out. If you wish to help out at AFC, enable AFCH by navigating to Preferences → Gadgets and checking the "Yet Another AfC Helper Script" box.



Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 11:43, 1 October 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Geonotice RequestEdit

Hi! I'm wondering if you can process the latest request(s) at Wikipedia:Geonotice#Requests. The PAMM one is mine, and I'm working with the museum to find applicants. I tried to get the coordinates right, but they need to be formatted correctly. Thanks!! Ocaasi t | c 10:54, 3 October 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

@Ocaasi Done. Good luck with the search, and I hope you're doing well! the wub "?!" 13:02, 3 October 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]


Thanks for clarifying phab:T219759 for me. I should have checked the date on the screenshots. (I don't know the mechanics or etiquette of Phabricator well enough to post this message there.) Certes (talk) 13:49, 3 October 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

@Certes Not a problem, thanks for pointing it out so that I could update the task. the wub "?!" 13:58, 3 October 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Happy Seventeenth Adminship Anniversary!Edit

Speedy deletion nomination of Category:English cricket seasons from 2001Edit


A tag has been placed on Category:English cricket seasons from 2001 indicating that it is currently empty, and is not a disambiguation category, a category redirect, a featured topics category, under discussion at Categories for discussion, or a project category that by its nature may become empty on occasion. If it remains empty for seven days or more, it may be deleted under section C1 of the criteria for speedy deletion.

If you think this page should not be deleted for this reason you may contest the nomination by visiting the page and clicking the button labelled "Contest this speedy deletion". This will give you the opportunity to explain why you believe the page should not be deleted. Please do not remove the speedy deletion tag from the page yourself. Liz Read! Talk! 01:13, 29 October 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

For info, this is part of a series of deletions following Wikipedia:Categories_for_discussion/Log/2022_October_20#Category:English_cricket_seasons_from_1598_to_1763. See e.g. [14]
This is also going to empty Category:Seasons in Welsh cricket, Category:Cricket in Wales by year, Category:Welsh cricket in the 21st century, etc. I suspect that this is an unintended side-effect that was overlooked. If you want any help to repopulate the Welsh hierarchy, Qwerfjkl who emptied the sub-categories is taking a short break, but may be willing to assist afterwards. Or perhaps you might simply add the English century categories into the Welsh parent categories. – Fayenatic London 16:17, 4 November 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Thanks @Fayenatic london for the info. I don't remember why I made that category 16 (!) years ago, although I expect it was just implementing the result of a previous CFD which I used to do a lot of. I'll leave it to people more interested in cricket to sort out, it's not one of my usual areas.
By the way, from your username and page I'll give a shameless plug for m:Meetup/London/186 on Sunday 13th November in case you're interested! the wub "?!" 17:50, 4 November 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Thanks, I have attended before, years ago… enjoyed it, but it's not good domestic politics! 😬 – Fayenatic London 18:56, 4 November 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Administrators' newsletter – November 2022Edit

News and updates for administrators from the past month (October 2022).

  Guideline and policy news



Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 00:23, 1 November 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

UK virtual meetingsEdit

Hi The wub, I hope you’re doing well! I noticed that quite some time has passed since the last UK virtual. Even though I was only able to come to a few, the ones I did attend I enjoyed immensely— they were the highlights of my month. I was just curious if you planned on organising other Zoom meetings, and if so, when. ◇HelenDegenerate◆ 00:23, 16 November 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

@HelenDegenerate Thanks for saying, I'm glad you enjoy them! For various reasons I'd better not try and host one this month though, sorry about that. Maybe in December. the wub "?!" 21:23, 20 November 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
I never made one but came here to say I would love to attend one in the future! So adding my name in enthusiasm Rhagfyr (talk) 19:42, 7 December 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

ArbCom 2022 Elections voter messageEdit

Hello! Voting in the 2022 Arbitration Committee elections is now open until 23:59 (UTC) on Monday, 12 December 2022. All eligible users are allowed to vote. Users with alternate accounts may only vote once.

The Arbitration Committee is the panel of editors responsible for conducting the Wikipedia arbitration process. It has the authority to impose binding solutions to disputes between editors, primarily for serious conduct disputes the community has been unable to resolve. This includes the authority to impose site bans, topic bans, editing restrictions, and other measures needed to maintain our editing environment. The arbitration policy describes the Committee's roles and responsibilities in greater detail.

If you wish to participate in the 2022 election, please review the candidates and submit your choices on the voting page. If you no longer wish to receive these messages, you may add {{NoACEMM}} to your user talk page. MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 00:27, 29 November 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Growth team newsletter #23Edit

20:57, 29 November 2022 (UTC)

Campaigns Product Team Office Hour - December 2022Edit

Hello Campaigns Product Newsletter subscribers!

The Wikimedia Foundation Campaigns Team invites you to join our upcoming office hours. In each session, we will introduce V1 of Event Registration Tool, so you can begin using it for real events on Meta-wiki.

In V1, the following new features will be includedː

  • Support for the organizer to specify an event timezone
  • Automatic confirmation emails after participants have registered
  • Private registration: the option for participants to register and only display their registered username to organizers of the event and we will teach you how you can use it yourself.

Office Hour Sessions:

  • 1st Session: December 5, 2022 @ 18:00 UTC via Zoom
  • 2nd Session: December 10, 2022 @ 12:00 UTC via Zoom
Join us and share your thoughts on these developments!

These office hours will be multilingual, with live interpretations in Arabic, English, French, and Swahili. Email us @ ibrazal-ctr@wikimedia.org or sign-up here if you want to receive a reminder for this meeting.

Thank you.

The Campaigns Product Team

Administrators' newsletter – December 2022Edit

News and updates for administrators from the past month (November 2022).

  CheckUser changes


  Oversight changes


  Guideline and policy news

  Technical news

  • A new preference named "Enable limited width mode" has been added to the Vector 2022 skin. The preference is also shown as a toggle on every page if your monitor is 1600 pixels or wider. When disabled it removes the whitespace added by Vector 2022 on the left and right of the page content. Disabling this preference has the same effect as enabling the wide-vector-2022 gadget. (T319449)



Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 12:45, 1 December 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Minor fix request - Visual editor (News citation template form)Edit

Hello! Hope you are well. I was wondering if you could please pass on to the Visual Editor team, this super minor edit request for "News" citation templates. Namely, where it says Name of publication, right now it just says Example: [[The Wall Street Journal]]''. This has caused me to often forget that you can't just assume that the name of the publication is going to be the right target page, if that makes sense. (As visual editors, we usually don't need to worry about that, because we always can see the drop-down suggestions for the correct target.) I think it would be helpful to give a second example there, of a target page using a piped link (which also helps remind visual editors how to do piped links and in what order, etc.), such as The Telegraph / Daily Telegraph, etc. Cielquiparle (talk) 13:23, 14 December 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

(And also...if you could please direct me to the right place to submit requests like this in the future...I would really appreciate it. Thank you!) Cielquiparle (talk) 13:26, 14 December 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Hi @Cielquiparle, good to hear from you! Hope you're doing well. I meant to follow up with you about visual editor questions after we last met, but totally forgot sorry! We can actually edit those things here without needing to get any of the VE developers involved: the information is pulled from Template:Cite news#TemplateData. Unfortunately it's only possible to have a single example, do you have a suggestion for a better example to demonstrate a piped link?
The best places to ask for technical requests are probably the Help desk or Village pump (technical). It is possible to submit requests directly in the bug tracking software Phabricator, but if you're not familiar with it (or even if you are!) it can be tricky to find the correct projects to tag, or whether something has been submitted already. And in this case it probably would have been speedy closed as something that can be fixed on-wiki. the wub "?!" 23:56, 15 December 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Happy New Year, The wub!Edit

   Send New Year cheer by adding {{subst:Happy New Year fireworks}} to user talk pages.

Moops T 16:31, 2 January 2023 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Thanks @Moops, a very Happy New Year to you as well! the wub "?!" 13:18, 3 January 2023 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Administrators' newsletter – January 2023Edit

News and updates for administrators from the past month (December 2022).

  Guideline and policy news



  • Voting for the Sound Logo has closed and the winner is expected to be announced February to April 2023.
  • Tech tip: You can view information about IP addresses in a centralised location using bullseye which won the Newcomer award in the recent Coolest Tool Awards.

Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 01:09, 6 January 2023 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Growth team newsletter #24Edit

14:44, 31 January 2023 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – February 2023Edit

News and updates for administrators from the past month (January 2023).

  Guideline and policy news

  Technical news

  • The Vector 2022 skin has become the default for desktop users of the English Wikipedia.



  • Voting in the 2023 Steward elections will begin on 05 February 2023, 21:00 (UTC) and end on 26 February 2023, 21:00 (UTC). The confirmation process of current stewards is being held in parallel. You can automatically check your eligibility to vote.
  • Voting in the 2023 Community Wishlist Survey will begin on 10 February 2023 and end on 24 February 2023. You can submit, discuss and revise proposals until 6 February 2023.
  • Tech tip: Syntax highlighting is available in both the 2011 and 2017 Wikitext editors. It can help make editing paragraphs with many references or complicated templates easier.

Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 01:38, 2 February 2023 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Precious anniversaryEdit

Two years!

--Gerda Arendt (talk) 11:01, 14 February 2023 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Editing news 2023 #1Edit

Read this in another languageSubscription list for this newsletter

This newsletter includes two key updates about the Editing team's work:

  1. The Editing team will finish adding new features to the Talk pages project and deploy it.
  2. They are beginning a new project, Edit check.

Talk pages project

Some of the upcoming changes

The Editing team is nearly finished with this first phase of the Talk pages project. Nearly all new features are available now in the Beta Feature for Discussion tools.

It will show information about how active a discussion is, such as the date of the most recent comment. There will soon be a new "Add topic" button. You will be able to turn them off at Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-editing-discussion. Please tell them what you think.

Daily edit completion rate by test group: DiscussionTools (test group) and MobileFrontend overlay (control group)

An A/B test for Discussion tools on the mobile site has finished. Editors were more successful with Discussion tools. The Editing team is enabling these features for all editors on the mobile site.

New Project: Edit Check

The Editing team is beginning a project to help new editors of Wikipedia. It will help people identify some problems before they click "Publish changes". The first tool will encourage people to add references when they add new content. Please watch that page for more information. You can join a conference call on 3 March 2023 to learn more.

Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk) 18:19, 22 February 2023 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Administrators' newsletter – March 2023Edit

News and updates for administrators from the past month (February 2023).

  Guideline and policy news

  Technical news



Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 13:20, 1 March 2023 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Level 2 vital article GA promotionEdit

Hello The wub, I was just made aware of your very generous offer to donate to a charity on behalf of editors who promoted a level 2 vital article to GA status. I wanted to enquire whether this offer still stands and whether the recent promotion of the article knowledge qualifies. Phlsph7 (talk) 08:45, 10 March 2023 (UTC)Reply[reply]

@Phlsph7 It certainly does, congratulations on a great GA and on being the first to claim a reward! Just let me know your choice of charity, and if you would like me to mention it at the Reward Board. You can email me if you would rather keep it private. the wub "?!" 13:21, 10 March 2023 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Could you donate the money to the "All Grants Fund" by GiveWell? The international website is [26] but since you offered the reward in pounds, it might be better to use the UK website [27]. If it's a regular practice to mention it at the Reward Board then please do so. But as far as I'm concerned, it's not necessary. Thanks a lot for doing this and let's hope that I don't remain the sole awardee for too long. Phlsph7 (talk) 13:52, 10 March 2023 (UTC)Reply[reply]
@Phlsph7 Excellent choice, to be honest that's where much of my charitable giving goes anyway :) I donated the £100 to the UK entity so they will be able to claim Gift Aid (an extra £25).
Thank you for the generosity and all the hard work on the article. I noticed that you have Communications nominated too, so you might end up the second awardee too at this rate. Good luck! the wub "?!" 14:20, 10 March 2023 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Ah, that's great, I wasn't aware of Gift Aid. I have my fingers crossed for the article communication. For most of my nominations, it takes very long until they get reviewed, so it may well be a few more months, let's see. Phlsph7 (talk) 16:26, 10 March 2023 (UTC)Reply[reply]