University Alliance of the Silk Road
The University Alliance of the Silk Road (Chinese: 丝绸之路大学联盟, also translated as the Universities Alliance of the Silk Road and abbreviated UASR) is an academic arm to the People's Republic of China's One Belt, One Road foreign policy initiative. The UASR is a non-profit university alliance based at Xi'an Jiaotong University, a C9 League university in western China. The mission of the UASR is to build educational collaboration and promote economic growth in countries along the Silk Road Economic Belt.
The UASR was founded in 2015 with approximately 100 universities from 22 countries. It currently includes 132 universities across 32 countries and regions on 5 continents. The program has become a central part of the 2016 plan of the Ministry of Education (中华人民共和国教育部) of the People's Republic of China for educational development along the Belt and Road region via student exchange and joint research.
The UASR was charged with supporting training, research, policy, cross-cultural understanding, and medical service. The UASR includes an international alliance of law schools, which Xi'an Jiaotong president Shuguo Wang notes aims ``to promote the exchanges of law among the alliance member countries and focus on legal consensus, in order to serve the Belt and Road development with legal spirit and legal culture." In addition, the UASR sponsors international cultural events including the UASR Educational Exhibition and Cultural Festival.
Member universities include the following:
Banha University, Egypt
Xi’an Jiaotong University, China
The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR of China
City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR of China
University of Macau, Macau SAR of China
Nazarbayev University, Kazakhstan
Kazakh Academy of Transport and Communications, Kazakhstan
International University of Central Asia, Kazakhstan
Ishenaly Arabaev Kyrgyz State University, Kyrgyzstan
Waikato Institute of Technology, New Zealand
Far Eastern Federal University, Russia
Hanyang University, South Korea
Chiang Mai University, Thailand
Hacettepe University, Turkey
Charles Darwin University, Australia
The University of Newcastle, Australia.
Vistula University, Poland
Moscow Aviation Institute, Russia
Ecole des Ponts ParisTech, France
SKEMA Business School, France
University of Torino, Italy
University of Pavia, Italy
University of Zagreb, Croatia
The UASR is headquartered in the Western China Science and Technology Innovation Harbor, with space designed to promote collaborations with partner universities in university-level exchanges, talent education, and scientific research, and of building international think-tanks.
- Ma, Lie (11 April 2016). "University alliance seeks enhanced education co-op along Silk Road". China Daily. Retrieved 18 September 2016.
- "西安交通大学发起成立"新丝绸之路大学联盟"". 22 May 2015. Retrieved 18 September 2016.
- Yojana, Sharma (12 June 2015). "University collaboration takes the Silk Road route". University World News. Retrieved 18 September 2016.
- "联盟简介". 9 April 2016. Retrieved 20 September 2016.
- "Education is a priority of the Belt and Road Initiative". 8 April 2017. Retrieved 24 April 2018.
- "XJTU Initiated the University Alliance of the New Silk Road (UANSR)". 22 May 2015. Retrieved 18 September 2016.
- Martin, Jessica (12 April 2016). "Washington University first North American member of the University Alliance of the Silk Road". Retrieved 18 September 2016.
- "China's Belt and Road Initiative - Education". Australian Government Department of Education and Training. 27 November 2017. Retrieved 24 April 2018.
- "教育部关于印发《推进共建"一带一路"教育行动》的通知 (An Education Action Notice from the Ministry of Education: Promoting Joint Development in the "One Belt and One Road" Scheme)". Chinese Ministry of Education. 15 July 2018. Retrieved 24 April 2018.
- Ma, Lie (12 November 2015). "Chinese and foreign law schools launch New Silk Road alliance". China Daily. Retrieved 18 September 2016.
- "Chinese and foreign law schools launch New Silk Road alliance". 13 January 2016. Retrieved 18 September 2016.
- "Inside View: Xi'an Jiaotong University" (PDF). 31 March 2016. Retrieved 20 September 2016.
- Wen, Zhang (16 June 2015). "HIT joined "Universities Alliance of the New Silk Road—UANSR"". Archived from the original on 18 September 2016. Retrieved 18 September 2016.
- "Belt and Road (Greater China) @ CUHK". Retrieved 18 September 2016.
- Hao, Nan; Lu, Hongyan (29 May 2015). "Xi'an Special: Alliance unites higher education along Silk Road route". Retrieved 28 September 2016.
- Stifter, Edith (1 June 2015). "University Alliance of the New Silk Road in Xi'an gegründet". Retrieved 28 September 2016.
- Ma, Lie (5 April 2016). "University alliance garnering intl attention". Retrieved 28 September 2016.
- Holloway, Stephen (3 June 2015). "World View: China's Silk Road initiative". Retrieved 20 September 2016.
- "University alliance garnering intl attention". 20 April 2016. Retrieved 18 September 2016.