|Motto||To the leading edge... Toward being the best...|
|Campus||Urban (210,238 square metres (52 acres)) |
Suburban (5,877,628 square metres (1,452 acres))
The University has two main campuses. The first campus is located in the old town of Ankara and hosts the Medical Centre, and the second one, Beytepe Campus is 13 km (8 mi) from the city centre. The Beytepe Campus covers 6,000,000 m2 (600 ha; 1,483 acres) of green land and woodland, and hosts the faculties of Economic and Administrative Sciences, Law, Education, Engineering, Fine Arts, Letters, and Science. In addition to these two main campuses, the School of Social Work is located at Keçiören, and the Turkish State Conservatory in Ankara, affiliated with the University as of 1982, is located at the Beşevler Campus..
- 1 General information
- 2 Campuses
- 3 Academic units
- 4 Notable people
- 5 See also
- 6 References
The history of Hacettepe University can be traced back to the establishment of the Institute of Child Health on July 8, 1958, and the inauguration of the Hacettepe Children's Hospital founded by Prof. Dr. İhsan Doğramacı. In 1961 the School of Health Sciences and its divisions of Nursing, Medical Technology, Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation and Nutrition were opened, all centered on the Institute of Child Health.
On June 15, 1963, Hacettepe University, Faculty of Medicine was established and a general teaching hospital was built. Three months later Hacettepe University School of Dentistry was established.
In the summer of 1964, a School of Basic Sciences was opened, offering courses in the natural sciences, social sciences and the humanities. At the time, all Hacettepe teaching institutions were affiliated to Ankara University and grouped under the title "Hacettepe Science Center".
Hacettepe University was chartered through Act No. 892 of the Turkish Parliament on July 8, 1967. Hacettepe Institutes of Higher Education formed the core of Hacettepe University, and the Faculties of Medicine, Science and Engineering, and Social and Administrative sciences were established.
In 1969 Hacettepe School of Pharmacy and Health Administration were established. In 1971 with a reorganization, the former schools were given faculty status and thus they became the Faculty of Dentistry, Faculty of Engineering, Faculty of Pharmacy and Faculty of Science. In 1973 the School of Technology was established. In I982 the former faculties were reorganized as the Faculty of Letters, Faculty of Education, Faculty of Fine Arts, Faculty of Economic and Administrative Sciences and the State Conservatory was affiliated to Hacettepe University. In 1984 the School of Health services and in 1989 the School of Sport Sciences and Technology were established. Recently in 1998 the two Polatli; Vocational Schools and Kaman Vocational School have been established.
The emblem of the University was designed in 1967 by Dr. Yücel Tanyeri, then a second year medical student, in the likeness of a stag – the symbol of a Hittite deity discovered at the royal tombs in Alacahöyük. Inspired by this archeological symbol common to the region, the Stag was chosen as the symbol of the University, and was abstracted to represent a lowercase "h" – the first letter of the university's name.
In 2018 US News Global University Rankings, Hacettepe University ranked 1st in Turkey and 208th globally, in clinical medicine  . In 2010, University Ranking by Academic Performance (URAP) ranked Hacettepe University 399th in the world and best university in Turkey. In QS 2010 University ranking it is ranked 285 in the field of life sciences and medicine. In SCImagoir 2010 ranking it is ranked 354th worldwide, 114th in Western Europe, 1st in Turkey and 122nd worldwide in the field of Health Sciences. Locally Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine is ranked the best in the country. Based on the minimum scores required to enroll in medical school, Hacettepe University holds the top spot among state schools for longer than a decade.
Main Campus – Medical CenterEdit
Main campus is located in Sıhhiye, Ankara. In this campus, the following are located: Faculties of Dentistry, Faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy, Institutes of Child Health, Health Sciences, Neurological Sciences, Oncology, Public Health and Population Studies, and Schools of Health Administration, HeaIth Technology, Home Economics, Nursing, Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation and Health Services, Teaching Hospitals (the Adult Hospital, Ihsan Dogramaci Children's Hospital and the Oncology Hospital), a biomedical library, biomedical research units, student dormitories, sports and recreation centers and clubs.
This campus is located in Beytepe. The faculties of Economic and Administrative Sciences, Education, Engineering, Fine Arts, Letters and Natural Sciences, Institutes of History of Modern Turkey, Natural Sciences, Nuclear Sciences and Social Sciences and Schools of Foreign Languages, and the Vocational School of Technology, School of Sport Sciences and Technology, and administrative offices, library, student dormitories, sports and recreation centers are located in this campus.
Hacettepe University currently has thirteen faculties, eight vocational schools, one conservatory, thirteen institutes and forty one research centres. Hacettepe University is a state university supported mainly by state funds allocated by the Turkish Parliament. Over 150 different undergraduate degree programs are offered and there are also over 200 different degree programs for postgraduate studies. The University has about 49582 students enrolled for undergraduate studies and academic staff of 3.279.
Beytepe Campus also has a large artificial forest, where different sportive activities such as trekking, mountain-biking, running can be done and it is ideal for other recreational activities.
- Beşevler Campus: (Located at the City Center) Houses the Turkish State Conservatory
- Bala Campus: (Located in Bala, 67 kilometres (42 miles) south of Ankara) Houses Bala Vocational School
- Polatlı Campus: (Located in Polatlı, a district 55 kilometres (34 miles) west of Ankara) Houses the Technical Sciences Vocational School, Health Services Vocational School
Faculties & schoolsEdit
- Faculty of Communication
- Faculty of Dentistry
- Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences
- Business Administration
- Family and Consumer Sciences
- Health Administration
- International Relations
- Political Sciences and Public Administration
- Public Finance
- Social Work
- Faculty of Education
- Computer Education and Instructional Technologies
- Department of Educational Sciences
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Educational Administration
- Supervision, Planning and Economics
- Psychological Counselling and Guidance
- Testing and Evaluation in Education
- Department of Foreign Languages Teaching
- English Language Teaching
- French Language Teaching
- German Language Teaching
- Department of Primary Education
- Elementary Teaching
- Mathematics Teaching
- Pre-School Teaching
- Science Teaching
- Department of Science and Mathematics for Secondary Education
- Biology Education
- Chemistry Education
- Mathematics Education
- Physics Education
- Faculty of Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Computer Engineering,
- Electrical & Electronics Engineering,
- Environmental Engineering
- Food Engineering
- Geological Engineering
- Geomatics Engineering,
- Hydrogeological Engineering
- Industrial Engineering,
- Mining Engineering
- Nuclear Engineering
- Physics Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering (Automotive Engineering)
- Faculty of Fine Arts :
- Graphic Arts
- Interior Architecture And Environmental Design
- Faculty of Health Sciences
- Child Development
- Nutrition and Dietetics
- Occupational Therapy
- Physiotherapy Rehabilitation
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Letters
- American Culture and Literature,
- English Language and Literature,
- French Language and Literature,
- German Language and Literature,
- History of Art,
- Information Management,
- Translation and Interpreting
- English Translation and Interpreting
- French Translation and Interpreting
- German Translation and Interpreting
- Turkish Language and Literature
- Turkish Folklore
The Faculty Of Letters was established as Faculty of Science and Humanities in 1967, inaugurated between 1968-1969 and divided into Faculty of Literature and Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences on July 20, 1982. The Faculty of Letters has the highest student population of the University and has 15 academic units. It is located at Beytepe Campus, Ankara. This faculty has been publishing Edebiyat Fakültesi Dergisi since 1983. The journal is published biannually. It contains news and innovations of humanities along with essays by Turkish and international authors.
- Faculty of Medicine
- Medicine (Turkish Medium)
- Medicine (English Medium)
- Faculty of Medicine at Kastamonu
- Faculty of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Science
- Actuarial Sciences
- School of Foreign Languages
- Basic English Division
- English Preparatory Division
- German Preparatory Division
- French Preparatory Division
- School of Sports Science and Technology
- Atatürk Institute for Modern Turkish History
- Institute of Child Health
- Institute of Population Studies
- Institute of Pure & Applied Sciences
- Institute of Social Sciences
- Institute of Health Sciences
- Institute of Fine Arts
- Institute of Public Health
- Institute of Neurological Sciences
- Institute of Nuclear Sciences
- Institute of Oncology
- Institute of Turkology Research
- Environmental Research and Application Center (ERAC)
- Bala Vocational School
- Hacettepe Vocational School
- Health Services Vocational School
- Polatlı Health Services Vocational School
- Polatlı Technical Science Vocational School
- Social Sciences Vocational School
- Bilge Yıldız - Associate Professor of Nuclear Science and Engineering, MIT
- Prof.Dr.Erkan İbiş-Rector of Ankara University
- Erdal Beşikçioğlu - actor
- Uğur Erdener - physician specialized in ophthalmology and professor
- Çağrı Erhan - Rector of İstanbul Kemerburgaz University
- Erdal İnci - new media artist
- Tekin Bingöl - politician and doctor
- Esen K. Akpek - Bendann Professor of Ophthalmology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Canan Dağdeviren - Assistant Professor at MIT Media Lab
- Esra Bilgiç Töre - Actress
- "URAP- University Rankings in Turkey".
- "Hacettepe University". www.hacettepe.edu.tr. Retrieved 2017-10-04.
- "Hacettepe University". www.hacettepe.edu.tr. Retrieved 2017-10-04.
- "US News - University Clinical Medicine Ranking by Academic Performance".
- "URAP - University Ranking by Academic Performance".
- "OSYM- Medical School Rankings by Minimum Scores". Archived from the original on 2012-07-09.
- Nuclear Science and Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Prof.Dr. "Rector of Ankara University". Archived from the original on 2016-04-16.
- "Erkan İbiş (@profdrErkanibis) | Twitter". twitter.com. Retrieved 2016-04-16.