Love in Deed and Truth
|Founder||Dr. Kim Lyun-joon|
|President||Kim woo-seung Ph.D.|
|Campus||Seoul Campus (Seongdong-gu, Seoul, South Korea)|
ERICA Campus(Sangnok-gu, Ansan, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea)
|Revised Romanization||Hanyang Daehakgyo|
Hanyang University is one of the leading private research universities of South Korea, especially in the field of engineering. The main campus is in Seoul, and its branch, the Education Research Industry Cluster at Ansan, or ERICA campus, is located in Ansan. Hanyang (한양;漢陽) derives from the former name of the capital Seoul used during the Joseon Dynasty. The university was established as an engineering institute (DongA Engineering Institute) in 1939, and became the founding facility of Hanyang University with its motto and educational philosophy of Love in Deed and Truth. Hanyang University enrolls over 3,000 foreign students each year and more than 3,300 students study abroad annually, and counts its 777 partner universities in 76 countries as of 2018.
It is the second world university to have 300mm semiconductor process equipment after Albany University in New York.
Hanyang University was founded as Dong-A Engineering Institute on July 1, 1939 during the Japanese occupation of Korea. Dong-A Institute started with 630 students and a faculty of 13 professors and 22 instructors in Jongno-gu, Seoul. After producing its first graduates in 1941, Dong-A tried to elevate itself to college status, to no avail. In May 1941, the Institute relocated and offered education specializing in engineering and technology to 100 students who had finished secondary school. In 1943, with Korea still under Japanese occupation, the Institute was suspended from recruiting new students, which resulted in a temporary shut-down of the school on March 15, 1944, when the last 78 students graduated.
Upon the restoration of the nation's independence in August 1945, Dong-A Institute renamed itself the Engineering Institute for National Foundation and settled at 251 Shindang-dong, Seoul. Institute founder Dr. Kim Lyun-joon foresaw the importance of industrial advancement in the reconstruction of Korea, and established Hanyang as a judicial and academic body. The board of trustees at that time included Myowook Lee, Byeongok Cho, Kwansoo Baik, Wonchul Lee, Waljoon Kim, Taeyong Choi, and Lyunjoon Kim, who had led the nation's independence movement. In July 1948, the school was accredited as the first four-year engineering college in Korea with Kim Lyun-joon as the first dean. Six departments were set up, including Electrical, Mechanical, and Civil Engineering, Architecture, Chemical, and Mining as well as an Engineering High School and a middle school.
Although during the Korean War, many of the school's facilities were destroyed and the professors and students were scattered, classes were continued in Busan with temporary teachers. However, even during their refuge, the College fostered numerous competent science teachers by building a training center for secondary school teachers in the technical fields. In 1953, it was authorized as a graduate school by the Ministry of Education. The building was restored in Haengdang-dong, Seongdong-gu, Seoul and it is still the current address of Hanyang University.
In February 1959, its status was raised to that of a four-year university. The following month Hanyang University formed the university foundation and Kim Lyun-joon was inaugurated as the first President. The University started with 19 departments in 3 colleges (the College of Engineering, the College of Liberal Arts and Science and the College of Politics and Economy) and 6 departments offering evening courses. As the University has expanded its size, the Colleges of Music, Physical Education and Education were newly established. By adding the College of Medicine, 46 departments of 7 colleges and 9 departments offering night courses were established.
Hanyang University Medical Center was established in 1972, and in 1979, a second campus was established at the newly built industrial city of Ansan. The newly established campus was named the “Hanyang Banwol Campus” at that time and was renamed as the “Ansan Campus” in 1987 which was used until the campus was renamed as the Education Research Industry Cluster at Ansan (ERICA), in September, 2009.
The Seoul Campus is home to 15 colleges and 60 departments. Seoul Campus, in particular, is made up of a variety of research centers according to field of academics that promote study and cooperation. Seoul campus has more than 60 buildings including those of Hanyang Women's University and Hanyang Cyber University. There are 5 gates into the campus. The map of both campuses can be downloaded on the website. Recently, the school built a few new buildings on campus. The new administration building was completed in February 2009 in commemoration of HYU's 70th anniversary. The Business Administration Building A is a specially designed learning environment for business and management students and professionals. Hanyang Institute of Technology (HIT), located behind the main library, is a home to 27 university research institutes and 17 outside enterprises in addition to various related university departments. Fusion Technology Center (FTC) was also built to advance the fields of science and technology and the Center currently houses a number of research centers. Jaeseong Civil Engineering building is a glass-covered building that has various civil engineering labs and research institutes.
The ERICA(Education Research Industry Cluster at Ansan) campus is located in Ansan, Gyeonggi-Do (Province), approximately 40 km south of Seoul. In 2009, Erica campus of Hanyang University was designated as a government-supported public bicycle pilot school and received donations of infrastructure and bicycles, including public bicycle systems and storage stations. ERICA presents a new successful model for industry cooperation and outstanding talent that is needed in society. ERICA Campus sets a new standard for specialized universities as their research centers and business work together to study and provide on-hands experience. It is home to 9 colleges and 42 departments. ERICA Campus is famous for cluster program. Name of this program is Education Research Industry Cluster program. Main idea of the program is developing knowledge and practical skills that can be used immediately after employment. Also Rainbow major is famous(consists of 7 majors). There are 3 gates in campus (Main Gate, East Gate and West Gate). ERICA campus has three dormitories located inside the school.
The graduate programs of Hanyang University are divided into three schools; The General Graduate School, Professional Graduate School, and Special Graduate School. Professional Graduate schools focus more on practical studies while Special Graduate Schools focuses on research related to fieldwork. Meanwhile, Hanyang Universities General Graduate School can be summarized as follows:
- Master's Programs – 87 departments in 5 divisions, 1 school (5 majors), 17 interdisciplinary programs, and 27 university-research-industry cooperative programs.
- Doctoral Programs – 85 departments in 5 divisions, 1 school (5 majors), 12 interdisciplinary programs, and 29 university-research-industry cooperative programs.
The Seoul campus of HYU offers undergraduate programs in
- Social Sciences
- Natural Sciences
- Policy Sciences
- Economics & Finance
- Human Ecology
- Performing Arts & Sports
- International Studies
- Industrial Convergence
The ERICA campus in Ansan offers programs in
- Engineering Sciences
- Science & Convergence Technology
- Languages & Cultures
- Communication & Social Sciences
- Business & Economics
- Sports & Arts
The HYU Graduate School offers graduate programs in
- Graduate School
- Urban Studies
- International Studies
- Global Business
- School of Medicine
- School of Law
- Biomedical Science & Engineering
- Technology & Innovation Management
- Public Policy
- Journalism & Mass Communication
- International Tourism
- Information and Clinical Nursing
- Business Management
- Reinforcing Language Education, Global G2 (English-Chinese) Program:
First introduced in 2016, the ‘G2 (English-Chinese) Language Education Program obligates the completion of an English and Chinese course and adopts the submission of an official grade of both languages as a mandatory requirement. In addition, Hanyang is strengthening its ties with other universities such as Tsinghua University, China with its establishment of Confucius Academy.
- Global 3.0 Project Connects the World:
'Global 3.0 Program' explores internationalization in the areas of education, research and industry cooperation. Hanyang has established a center for business start-ups in Shanghai, New-York, and San Jose and actively supports students studying abroad. On the other hand, Hanyang is gradually increasing internship opportunities for Korean students.
Research and developmentEdit
Hanyang University maintains active research programs in biological sciences, natural sciences, medicine, natural resources and environment, media and communication, and business administration. Hanyang has designated “Outreaching Research Competitiveness” as one of its key strategic directions under the NEW HANYANG 2020 plan. For its part, the Industry-University Cooperation Foundation (IUCF) is working to promote more individual and collaborative research at HYU by providing funding for research projects from their initial stage, and offering assistance in the publication of research papers in prominent international journals, among other duties.
Key research accomplishmentsEdit
- Hanyang is currently operating the Components and Materials R&D Cluster of international standards at the ERICA Campus. Resident government research institutes in this designated “Cluster Zone” include KITECH, KTL, and KERI. Research centers for such private companies as LG Innotek and LG Micron also have a presence there.
- In 2006, Twenty-eight project teams from Hanyang were selected for Brain Korea (BK21) Phase II project, which is the second stage of the Korean government sponsored program that seeks to develop and promote world-class research universities. HYU enjoyed particular success in the field of science and technology, with all project teams that applied being selected for the program. Over the next seven years, HYU will receive 15.4 billion won a year in government funding for BK21 research.
- Hanyang currently ranks number one among Korean universities in technology transfer revenues, earning more than 10 billion won between 2006 and 2009. Moreover, the HYU Center for Business Incubation is consistently recognized for its standard of excellence each year by the Ministry of Information and Communication. In addition to the domestic market, the Center has also making inroads into China by establishing a local presence in Shanghai. Furthermore, HYU is the only Korean university to earn the highest rating for five consecutive years in the University led TLO (Technology Licensing Office) program supported by the Ministry of Education, Science, and Technology. Most recently, the Center transferred the pico porous polymer membrane technology to a global enterprise.
- Hanyang is operating the Cell Therapy Center for Intractable Neurological Disorders. At the center, they are providing therapy for the patients and conducting research to find cures for Lou Gehrig's disease, which is said to be the first in the world that is closest to being approved by the Korean FDA.
- As the hub of engineering and research, Hanyang has research centers around the campus. At the Innovation Center for Engineering Education in Hanyang University Seoul campus, researchers are conducting research on bipedal robots to improve its efficiency. They are making robots, which resemble humans. Through precise programming and control, they are simulating every movement of humans and succeeded in letting the robots change directions efficiently while walking, mimicking how humans change directions in real life. The main focus of their research is using a process called slip foot, which means that when changing directions, one of the robot's feet ‘slips’ on the ground when its body rotates to the desired direction. Once it gets fully developed, the researchers predict that the human-like robots could also be used in households, as seen in many sci-fi movies.
- Research teams at Hanyang are also making progress in their research on silicon and germanium. The team previously discovered that the proper alternative for this may be a Si-GE (germanium) composite. It benefits both the mechanics and kinetics associated with lithium while maintaining its high specific capacity, especially volumetric capacity. It has recently been explored as an anode material for lithium-ion batteries due to its stable cycle performance and excellent rate capability. The team studied both the Si-Ge and Ge-Si core-shell nanowires and figured out the nanowires that have a Si core and a Ge shell demonstrates a much improved electrochemical performance, especially cycle performance and rate capability.
- In the biomedical field, researchers are making strides in the methods to cure malaria, a mosquito-borne infectious disease caused by parasitic protozoans of the genus Plasmodium. They are annotating the Pf3D7 strain, which is a specific strain of the Pf species. The recent completion of the genome sequence of Pf offers new opportunities to identify more effective targets for drug development and to gain insight into the biological pathways involved in malaria pathogenesis.
- Researchers in the field of Chemistry are also developing photo-responsive polymers, transparency and high heat resistant polymers for flexible displays, biodegradable polymers, and new functional polymers. Researchers report on a new acrylamide-based hard-soft hybrid BCP that can generate high quality lithographic patterns satisfying all six criteria mentioned above. It has additional potential as a scaffold for metallic nanostructures. PDOPAM-PMMA BCPs were synthesized from newly designed crystalline p-dodecylphenylacrylamide (DOPAM) and methyl methacrylate monomers via RAFT polymerization. The findings of his study suggest that the newly developed BCPs can be a universal and practical candidate for the implementation of sub-20 nm directed self-assembly processes. With the fruits of their research, the team's research was selected as one of the top 5 percent of papers of Advanced Material.
The First University to Install the Cloud System
Hanyang university Cloud Center opens in September 2017. It has installed a private cloud system coping with companies as HPE, CISCO reaching industry-university cooperation. It provides an intellective form of service by combining the 3 academic wings under Hanyang which are the Hanyang Seoul Campus, the ERICA Campus, and the Women's University.
The Opening of the History Museum
Hanyang university history museum opens in November 2015. The exhibit hall is composed of 8 theme rooms, displaying the history of Hanyang University.
Doollehgil, Hanyang Campus Trails
On November, Hanyang unveils a 2.6-kilometer-long trail called "Hanyang Doollehgil". The trail includes 8 scenic points of the campus while providing those who walk it with a restful environment.
Chung Mong-koo Automotive Research Center
To strengthen research development and the ability of the future cars, Chung Mong-koo Automotive Research Center was established in 2015. The center was built with a generous gift of US$14 million from Hanyang alumnus and Chairman of Hyundai Motor Group, Chung Mong-koo. The center is expected to foster active partnerships with the industry's leading firms from around the globe in addition to provide students with a wide range of research collaboration and employment opportunities.
Establishment of International Building
Opening its International Building in August 2015, Hanyang has announced its change and growth in global education. The newly established International Building has changed into a seven floor building with a lower ground floor. It also includes an Institute of Chinese Studies, group study rooms and joint research institutes with the Graduate School.
| QS Asia|
(Asian Ranking version)
Joong-Ang Ilbo University Ranking
In 2016, Joongang Ilbo ranked Hanyang University's Seoul Campus 2nd and ERICA Campus 9th in the country.
In 2017, Joongang Ilbo ranked Hanyang University's Seoul Campus 3rd and ERICA Campus 9th in the country.
In 2018, Joongang Ilbo ranked Hanyang University's Seoul Campus 3rd and ERICA Campus 9th in the country.
Korea Economic Daily Engineering School Assessment
In 2016, Hanyang University Ranked First in 2016 Engineering School Assessment in the country.
In the "2016 Engineering School Assessment" conducted jointly by the Korea Economic Daily and Global Research, Hanyang University was ranked No. 1 with the total score of 299 points. Hanyang University won the highest score in an evaluation of the nation's 50 engineering schools, in terms of industry-university cooperation, technology commercialization, and start-up and job search support, as well as education and research quality. Runners-up included Sungkyunkwan University, KAIST, Postech, and Seoul National University.
QS World University Ranking
Hanyang University ranked 151th on the QS World University list (7th among domestic universities) in 2019.
The World's Most Innovative Universities by Reuters
Hanyang has been named among the world's top 100 most innovative universities by Reuters. The ranking was determined by the composite score of several metrics that were focused on academic papers and patent filings. Reuters ranked Hanyang 5th among Korean universities and 62nd globally in 2015.
For the 59th National Bar Examination in 2017, Hanyang produced 7 successful candidates. By producing 7 out of the 55 successful candidates in the 59th and final Korean Bar Examination, Hanyang accounts 12.7% of the total, which was the second largest number of successful candidates.
Civil Service Examinations—Administrative Post
In 2017, of the 275 successful candidates who passed the Civil Service Examination (Administrative Post), 16 were from Hanyang University, accounting for 5.8% of the total. In addition, Kang Hae-rim (Department of Policy Studies, 11), passed the International Commerce Category received highest score, making headlines.
Civil Service Examinations—Technical Post
In 2017, Hanyang University produced 15 successful candidates from the open recruitment of the Civil Service Examination (Technical Post). Hanyang University ranked first in 2016, but ranked second following Seoul National University by only a small margin in 2017. However, 4 Hanyang alumni achieved the highest marks in 4 categories, raising the reputation of Hanyang University.
Newly Admitted Law Judges
Among the 25 new judges appointed on August 1 of last year, 3 of the newly appointed judges were from Hanyang University, ranking third among all universities as well as accounting for 12% of the rewly admitted judges.
Successful candidates for the special recruitment of the Captain of the National Police Agency
Among the 18 successful candidates with experience as both police officers and former lawyers in the special recruitment, 3 applicants from Hanyang University were recruited, recording the greatest number of successful candidates.
- Hong Nam-ki, Minister of Economy and Finance & Deputy Prime Minister of South Korea
- Chung Mong-koo, Chairman of Hyundai-KIA Motor Group
Arts and literatureEdit
- Chang Chang-sun, freestyle wrestler, Olympic silver medalist and world champion
- Chung Min-tae, professional baseball player
- Jang Sung-ho, judoka and Olympic silver medalist
- Park Hang-seo, football coach of Vietnam national football team and Vietnam national under-23 football team
- Yoon Dong-sik, MMA fighter and judoka
- "Facts at a Glance - Undergraduate Students". Hanyang University. Retrieved 2018-03-15.
- "Hanyang Univ, Erica Campus introduction". hanyang University.
- "Former name of Seoul". Encyclopædia Britannica. 2009. Retrieved 6 September 2009.
- "Hanyang at a Glance 2018". Hanyang University. Retrieved 2018-03-15.
- "Hanyang University Chronology". Hanyang University. Retrieved 2017-03-15.
- "Hanyang University History". Hanyang University. Retrieved 2017-03-15.
- "Hanyang University Seoul Campus". Hanyang University. Retrieved 2018-03-15.
- "Hanyang University ERICA Campus". Hanyang University. Retrieved 2018-03-15.
- "한국아이닷컴!". www.hankooki.com. Retrieved 2019-03-18.
- "Hanyang University Official Brochure". THE World University Rankings. Retrieved 2018-03-15.
- "Home - 학연산클러스터 교육". erica.hanyang.ac.kr (in Korean). Retrieved 2018-03-16.
- "한양대학교 창의인재원". hydorm.hanyang.ac.kr. Retrieved 2019-03-15.
- "Hanyang Graduate Program List". Hanyang University. Retrieved 2017-03-15.
- "Hanyang University Seoul Campus College and Department". Hanyang University.
- "ERICA Campus College/Department Info". Hanyang University.
- "Hanyang University". www.dic.hanyang.ac.kr (in Korean). Retrieved 2018-05-24.
- "New Hanyang 2020 Plan". Hankyung News. 2011-05-15. Retrieved 2011-05-15.
- "Hanyang Research Capabilities". Hankyung News. Retrieved 2017-03-15.
- "2015 Hanyang Research Achievements". Hanyang University. Retrieved 2017-03-24.
- "Article - 2015 Hanyang Research Achievements". Hanyang University. Retrieved 2017-03-24.
- "2012-2015 Research Achievements". Hanyang University. Retrieved 2017-03-24.
- "BK 21 University 2006". Donga News. 2006-04-27. Retrieved 2006-04-27.
- "2016 Hanyang Pride 30". Hanyang University. Retrieved 2017-03-15.
- "2018 Hanyang Pridebook". Hanyang University. Retrieved 2018-03-15.
- "2017 Hanyang Pridebook".
- "QS South Korea University Rankings 2019". Top Universities. 2019. Retrieved July 20, 2019.
- World University Rankings - 2019 (2019). "South Korea Universities in Top 500 universities". Academic Ranking of World Universities. Retrieved August 16, 2019.
- U.S.News & World Report (2019). "Search Best Global Universities - US News Education". U.S. News & World Report LP. Retrieved July 20, 2019.
- "QS Asian University Rankings". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2019. Retrieved August 16, 2019.
- "Times Higher Education Asia University Rankings". Times Higher Education. 2019. Retrieved August 16, 2019.
- U.S.News & World Report (2019). "Best Global Universities in Asia - US News Education". U.S. News & World Report LP. Retrieved July 20, 2019.
- "THE World University Rankings". Times Higher Education. 2019. Retrieved August 16, 2019.
- "QS World University Rankings". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2020. Retrieved August 16, 2019.
- U.S.News & World Report (2019). "Best Global Universities - US News". U.S. News & World Report LP. Retrieved July 20, 2019.
- "Academic Ranking of World Universities". Institute of Higher Education, Shanghai Jiao Tong University. 2019. Retrieved August 16, 2019.
- "JoongAng Daily University Ranking". Joongang Ilbo. 2018-10-29. Retrieved 2018-10-29.
- "Hanyang University Ranked First in 2016 Engineering School Assessment". 2016-06-08.
- "Reuters, The World's Most Innovative Universities". Reuters. Hanyang University. 2016-03-09. Retrieved 2017-03-15.