This article may need to be rewritten to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards. (January 2011)
Televisión Española (acronym TVE, on lowercase letters: tve, in English "Spanish Television") is the national state-owned public-service television broadcaster in Spain. TVE belongs to the RTVE Corporation which has overall responsibility for national public-service radio and television under a Parliament-appointed General Manager who, as well as being answerable to a Board of Directors, reports to an all-party committee of the national parliament, as provided for in the Public Radio and Television Law of 2006.
|Type||Broadcast television network|
|Availability||Spain, Worldwide (via TVE Internacional)|
|Slogan||La de todos (The TV of all)|
|Ignacio Corrales (Chairman)|
|28 October 1956|
TVE's activities were previously financed by a combination of advertising revenue and subsidies from the national government, but since January 2010 it has been supported by subsidies only.
TVE television channelsEdit
|Channel's logo||Type of programming|
La 1: Colloquially known as La Uno (The One) and formerly as TVE1, La Primera (The First). La 1 is a generalist channel which mainly broadcasts news reports, news programmes, documentaries, magazine programmes, Spanish and Hispanic Latin American TV series, films (particularly Spanish and American films) and some popular sports competitions. It is Spain's first TV channel and is currently its most popular.
La 2: Colloquially known as La Dos (The Two) and formerly as TVE2, Segunda Cadena (Second Channel), or UHF. La 2 mainly broadcasts cultural programming, North American TV series, documentaries, Spanish and European films, news reports, debates and musicals. It offers a different aspect from its generalist sister channel, La 1.
24h: 24 horas is RTVE's 24-hour news channel created in 1997. It broadcasts news reports, debates, analyses, interviews as well as rolling news. It was Spain's first 24-hour news channel.
Teledeporte: Teledeporte broadcasts major Spanish and international sporting events. At other times certain sports programming is also shown to fill up the slots and also due to lack of interest from the public.
Clan: Formerly known as Clan TVE. Clan is a children's channel, but also offers some programming aimed at teenagers during the evening and repeats TVE content from other channels during the early hours.
TVE Internacional: RTVE international television channel. It was created in 1989 and broadcasts TVE content throughout the world.
Star TVE HD: International entertainment television channel, broadcast by satellite to Latin America. Launched in 2016.
Both the international channel and La 1 have regular news-bulletins marketed under the Telediario name; Telediario has three editions: the breakfast edition, 15:00 (local time) edition and 21:00 edition. La 1 also broadcasts regional news bulletins at 14:00. La 2 also has its own national news bulletin, "La 2 Noticias" ("The 2 News"), which began as an original nightly news bulletin in the late 1980s but it was turned into a breakfast news-programme in the mid-1990s and was later revamped as a nightly news bulletin, reverting to its original timeslot at 22:00. In 2015, La 2 Noticias moved to a later timeslot, 01:05.
In addition, various regions have their own regional newscasts which may either supplement or replace Telediario in those regions. Examples include:
- TVE Andalucía: Noticias de Andalucía (Spanish language) - since 1970
- TVE Aragón: Noticias de Aragón (Spanish language) - since 1979
- TVE Asturias: Panorama regional (Spanish language) - since 1974
- TVE Baleares: Informatiu Balear (Catalan language) - since 1979
- TVE Canarias: Telecanarias (Spanish language) - since 1971
- TVE Cantabria: Telecantabria (Spanish language) - since 1984
- TVE Castilla-La Mancha: Noticias de Castilla-La Mancha (Spanish language) - since 1989
- TVE Castilla y León: Noticias de Castilla y León (Spanish language) - since 1982
- TVE Catalunya: L'informatiu (Catalan language) - since 1977
- TVE Ceuta: Noticias de Ceuta (Spanish language)
- TVE Comunitat Valenciana: L'informatiu-Comunitat Valenciana (Valencian language) - since 1971
- TVE Extremadura: Noticias de Extremadura (Spanish language) - since 1989
- TVE Galicia: Telexornal-Galicia (Galician language) - since 1971
- TVE La Rioja: Informativo La Rioja / Telerioja (Spanish language) - since 1986
- TVE Madrid: Informativo de Madrid (Spanish language)
- TVE Melilla: Noticias de Melilla (Spanish language)
- TVE Murcia: Noticias de Murcia (Spanish language) - since 1982
- TVE Navarra: Telenavarra (Spanish language) - since 1981
- TVE País Vasco: Telenorte (Spanish language) - since 1971