Rishabh Rajendra Pant (born 4 October 1997) is a professional Indian cricketer who plays for India, Delhi, and the Delhi Capitals in the Indian Premier League. In December 2015, he was named in India's squad for the 2016 Under-19 Cricket World Cup. On 1 February 2016, during the tournament, Pant hit an 18-ball fifty, the fastest at this level. He made his Twenty20 International (T20I) debut for India in January 2017, his Test debut in August 2018, and his One Day International (ODI) debut in October 2018. In January 2019, Pant was named the ICC Emerging Player of the Year at the 2018 ICC Awards.
|Full name||Rishabh Rajendra Pant|
|Born||4 October 1997|
Roorkee, Uttarakhand, India
|Test debut (cap 291)||18 August 2018 v England|
|Last Test||29 February 2020 v New Zealand|
|ODI debut (cap 224)||21 October 2018 v West Indies|
|Last ODI||14 January 2020 v Australia|
|T20I debut (cap 68)||1 February 2017 v England|
|Last T20I||7 January 2020 v Sri Lanka|
|Domestic team information|
|2016–present||Delhi Capitals (squad no. 17)|
Source: Cricinfo, 2 March 2020
Rishabh Pant was born in Roorkee, Uttarakhand, India to Rajendra Pant and Saroj Pant. At the age of 12, Pant would travel with his mother to Delhi during the weekends to get trained under Tarak Sinha at the Sonnet Cricket Academy. He and his mother stayed at a gurdwara in Moti Bagh locality as they did not have a place to stay in the city. Sinha suggested Pant to switch to Rajasthan to play U-13 and U-15 cricket but to no avail. Pant was told by his mentor to overhaul his entire batting technique which based on Hand-eye co-ordination to become a better batsman. His turning point came when he was playing U-19 cricket for Delhi against Assam. Pant had top-scored with 35 but was severely reprimanded by the coach for giving his wicket away at a hat-trick. He then hit 150 in the second innings which was the most important knock in his career.
In the 2016–17 Ranji Trophy, while playing a match against Maharashtra, Pant scored 308 runs in an innings, becoming the third-youngest Indian to score a triple century in first-class cricket.
In February 2017, Pant was named Delhi's captain for the 2016–17 Vijay Hazare Trophy. He took over from Gautam Gambhir, who led Delhi to the final of the previous season. Delhi coach Bhaskar Pillai said it was a "consensus decision" to blood Pant for the future.
Indian Premier LeagueEdit
Pant was bought by the Delhi Daredevils In the 2016 Indian Premier League (IPL) auction. Playing only his third game of his IPL season, Pant made 69 runs from 40 balls to help Delhi to an eight-wicket victory over Gujarat Lions. He made his maiden IPL half-century off 25 balls. In the 2017 season, he scored 97 runs in 43 balls against the same team in Delhi on 4 May.
In May 2018, during the 2018 Indian Premier League, Pant scored 128 not out from 63 balls against the Sunrisers Hyderabad, making the then highest individual score by an Indian cricketer in IPL history, but later broken by K. L. Rahul who scored 132 runs for Kings XI Punjab.
In January 2017, Pant was named in India's Twenty20 International (T20I) squad for their series against England. He made his debut for India in the third T20I against England at the M. Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bangalore on 1 February 2017. Pant was the youngest player for India to debut in a T20I match at the age of 19 years 120 days before Washington Sundar who played at the age of 18 years 80 days made his debut in 2017.
In July 2018, Pant was named in India's Test squad for the series against England. He made his Test debut against England on 18 August 2018. He became the first batsman for India to get off the mark in Test cricket with a six. On 11 September 2018, Pant scored his maiden Test century, against England. He became the second-youngest wicket-keeper and the first Indian wicket-keeper to score a Test century in England. The following month, he was named in India's One Day International (ODI) squad for their series against the West Indies. He made his ODI debut for India against the West Indies on 21 October 2018.
In December 2018, during the first Test against Australia, Pant took eleven catches, the most by a wicket-keeper for India in a Test match. In January 2019, during the fourth Test against Australia, Pant became the first wicket-keeper for India to score a century in a Test match in Australia.
In June 2019, Pant was called up to India's squad at the 2019 Cricket World Cup as cover for Shikhar Dhawan, who suffered a hairline fracture on his left thumb during India's game against Australia. On 19 June 2019, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) confirmed that Dhawan had been ruled out for the rest of the tournament, with Pant confirmed as his replacement. Following the World Cup, the International Cricket Council (ICC) named Pant as the rising star of the squad.
- "People are going to be scared of bowling to Pant in the future". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 9 April 2017.
- "Rishabh Pant". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 25 October 2015.
- "Ishan Kishan to lead India at U19 World Cup". ESPNCricinfo. Retrieved 22 December 2015.
- "Rishabh Pant slams fastest fifty in huge India win". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 1 February 2016.
- "Finch, Macleod, Pant and Williamson named for ICC Player Awards". International Cricket Council. Retrieved 22 January 2019.
- "Keeping calm and carrying on: The cricketing journey of Rishabh Pant". 27 January 2019.
- "Life in Gurudwara to IPL success, Rishabh Pant's story of big sacrifices". Hindustan Times. 10 April 2017.
- "Keeping calm and carrying on: The cricketing journey of Rishabh Pant". The Indian Express. 27 January 2019. Retrieved 28 January 2019.
- "Ranji Trophy, Group A: Delhi v Bengal at Delhi, Oct 22-25, 2015". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 25 October 2015.
- "Vijay Hazare Trophy, 2nd Quarter-Final: Jharkhand v Delhi at Bangalore, Dec 23, 2015". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 23 December 2015.
- "Ranji Trophy, Group B: Maharashtra v Delhi at Mumbai, Oct 13-16, 2016". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 14 October 2016.
- "Maharashtra take lead despite Pant's triple ton". ESPN Cricinfo. 16 October 2016. Retrieved 16 October 2016.
- "Rishabh Pant hits 48-ball hundred". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 9 November 2016.
- "Ranji Trophy: Delhi v Jharkhand at Thumba, Nov 5-8, 2016". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 9 November 2016.
- "Pant to captain Delhi in Vijay Hazare Trophy". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- "Pant wallops 32-ball hundred, the fastest by an Indian". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 14 January 2018.
- "Rishabh Pant powers India U-19 to semi-finals on his IPL 'Pay Day'". dna. 6 February 2016. Retrieved 7 February 2016.
- "Pant, Samson and five scorching fifties from IPL's teens". Retrieved 5 May 2017.
- "IPL Highlights, DD Vs GL: Samson, Pant Power Delhi To 7-Wicket Win Vs Gujarat". Retrieved 5 May 2017.
- "Rishabh Pant rewrites records with 128* off 63 balls". International Cricket Council. Retrieved 11 May 2018.
- "Rishabh Pant's blistering 128* went in wain as Williamson-Dhawan combo thrashed Delhi Daredevils with a unbroken record stand of 176 runs". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 11 May 2018.
- "Yuvraj recalled, Kohli named ODI and T20I captain". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- "England tour of India, 3rd T20I: India v England at Bangalore, Feb 1, 2017". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 1 February 2017.
- "Record bowling figures for India, and a near-record collapse from England". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 1 February 2017.
- "Pant, Kuldeep picked for West Indies tour". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 15 June 2017.
- "Rohit Sharma to lead India in Nidahas Trophy 2018". BCCI Press Release. 25 February 2018. Retrieved 25 February 2018.
- "Pant, Kuldeep picked for first three England Tests, Rohit dropped". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- "3rd Test, India tour of Ireland and England at Nottingham, Aug 18-22 2018". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 18 August 2018.
- "20-year-old Rishabh Pant becomes India's 291st Test player". India Today. Retrieved 18 August 2018.
- "Rishabh Pant creates history on Test debut at Trent Bridge". India Today. Retrieved 19 August 2018.
- "Rishabh Pant second-youngest wicketkeeper to score a Test century". Cricket Country. Retrieved 11 September 2018.
- "India vs England: Pant becomes first Indian wicketkeeper to score century in England - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 14 September 2018.
- "Kohli returns to ODI squad as Pant replaces Karthik". International Cricket Council. Retrieved 11 October 2018.
- "1st ODI (D/N), West Indies tour of India at Guwahati, Oct 21 2018". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 21 October 2018.
- "Stats - India savour a high not felt in 50 years". ESPNcricinfo. 10 December 2018. Retrieved 10 December 2018.
- "Pant roars into record books with second Test ton". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 4 January 2019.
- "Rishabh Pant to join Indian squad as cover for Shikhar Dhawan". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 12 June 2019.
- "Shikhar Dhawan ruled out of World Cup, Rishabh Pant confirmed as replacement". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 19 June 2019.
- "CWC19 report card: India". International Cricket Council. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- "Rishabh Pant overtakes MS Dhoni to fastest 50 dismissals in Test cricket". India Today. Retrieved 4 September 2019.