Rijeka Airport (Croatian: Zračna luka Rijeka; IATA: RJK, ICAO: LDRI) is the international airport serving Rijeka, Croatia. It is located near the town of Omišalj on the island of Krk, 17 km from the Rijeka railway station. Most of the traffic to and from the airport occurs during the summer months, when it is used by several European low-cost airlines flying tourists to the northern parts of the Croatian coast.
Zračna luka Rijeka/Krk I.
|Operator||Rijeka Airport Ltd.|
|Elevation AMSL||278 ft / 85 m|
Before the Second World War Rijeka was divided between Yugoslavia and Italy. The Yugoslav part of the city was served by the airfield in Sušak. Domestic airline Aeroput opened a route linking Sušak to Zagreb in 1930, and a year later a route linking Zagreb to Belgrade via Sušak, Split and Sarajevo was opened. By 1936 Aeroput linked the city to Belgrade, Borovo, Ljubljana, Sarajevo, Split and Zagreb. The Italian part of the city was connected to many Italian cities with regular flights provided by Italian company Ala Littoria.
The Grobnik airport had difficulty with larger planes, as its runways were close to the hills to the east of the city. With larger airliners coming on board, planners decided on a location on Krk after considering locations close to Opatija and near Urinj, which would have required moving some hills.
Airlines and destinationsEdit
|Arkia||Seasonal: Tel Aviv-Ben Gurion|
|Bulgaria Air||Seasonal charter: Sofia|
|Enter Air||Seasonal charter: Warsaw-Chopin|
|Eurowings|| Düsseldorf |
Seasonal: Berlin–Tegel, Cologne/Bonn, Hamburg, Hannover, Stuttgart
|Ryanair||Seasonal: Charleroi, Frankfurt, London-Stansted, Stockholm-Skavsta|
|Trade Air||Dubrovnik, Osijek, Split|
|TUI Airways||Seasonal: London–Gatwick, Manchester (begins 14 May 2020)|
Incidents and accidentsEdit
- AIP from the European Organisation for the Safety of Air Navigation
- Drustvo za Vazdusni Saobracaj A D – Aeroput (1927–1948) at europeanairlines.no
- Ala Littoria at timetableimages.com
- "Air Serbia outlines S19 network expansion". Routesonline. Retrieved 25 January 2019.
- "Bulgaria Air schedules new charter routes from Sofia in S17". Retrieved 23 February 2017.
- "Condor S18 Short-Haul routes addition as of 06DEC17". Routesonline. Retrieved 7 December 2017.
- "Enter Air dolazi u Rijeku s charter linijom iz Poljske". Avioradar. Retrieved 4 March 2018.
- "Lufthansa starts the summer with new European destinations". Lufthansa. Retrieved 21 October 2018.
- "Ryanair expands Frankfurt service in S18". Routesonline. Retrieved 14 September 2017.
- "Transavia adds seasonal Eindhoven – Rijeka in 3Q18". Routesonline. Retrieved 24 January 2018.
- "Flight Timetable". tui.co.uk.
- "Volotea S19 new routes as of 12NOV18". Routesonline. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
- Croatian Bureau of Statistics
- Rijeka Airport
- ASN Aircraft accident Tupolev 134A YU-AHZ Rijeka Airport (RJK) – 2 photographs
- Авиакатастрофы самолётов Ту-134 ‹See Tfd›(in Russian)