Paytm Payments Bank
Paytm Payments Bank is an Indian payments bank, founded in 2015 and headquartered in Noida. In 2015, it received the license to run a payments bank from the Reserve Bank of India. It was launched in November 2017.
|Founder||Vijay Shekhar Sharma|
|Satish Kumar Gupta (CEO)|
As of August 2020, Vijay Shekhar Sharma holds 51 per cent in the entity with One97 Communications Limited holding 39 per cent and the remaining 10 per cent of share is held by a joint venture between Vijay Shekhar Sharma and One97 Communications. It has over 64 million account holders as of April 2021.
In 2015, eleven companies received In-principle approval from the Reserve Bank of India to set up payments bank under the guidelines for Licensing of Payments Bank, Paytm was one of them. Paytm Payments Bank' was formally launched by the Union Finance Minister of India, Arun Jaitley on November 28, 2017.
It facilitated more than 485 crore transactions worth ₹4.6 lakh crore in financial year 2020. It had processed 340 million UPI transactions amounting to ₹38,493 crore in February 2021, It registered over 970 million digital transactions in March 2021.
Products and servicesEdit
In January 2018, Paytm Payments Bank partnered with IndusInd Bank to offer fixed deposits. It entered into a partnership with MasterCard for the issuance of virtual and physical debit cards in April 2020. In January 2021, it tied up with Suryoday Small Finance Bank to offer fixed deposit services to its account holders.
Paytm Payments Bank reported a ₹19 crore profit for the financial year 2018-2019, making it the first payments bank in India to become profitable. The company registered a profit of ₹29.8 crore for the financial year 2020.
In June 2018, the Reserve Bank of India barred Paytm Payment Bank from opening new customer accounts, following an audit by the Reserve Bank of India, which made some observations about the process the company follows in acquiring new customers and its adherence to KYC norms. However, in January 2019, it received approval from the RBI to resume on-boarding new customers.
Awards and recognitionEdit
- In October 2019, Paytm Payments Bank received the Digital Payments Award for outstanding performance from the Government of India. The award was presented by Ravi Shankar Prasad, the Minister of Communication, Electronics & IT and Law & Justice, at the 2019 MeitY Start-up Summit.
- It won the Infosys Finacle Client Innovation Award under categories such as process innovation, innovative custom components and product innovation in 2019.
- It also won with Celent Model Bank 2019 Award.
- The company was awarded the RBI Asia Trailblazer Award by Retail Banker International in 2019.
- In 2018, the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) recognized the company with Excellent Award 2018 for excellent performance for High Acceptance of Rupay card for E-Comm Transaction & Excellent performance in Aadhaar Enabled Payment System (AePS).
- "Arun Jaitley launches Paytm Payments Bank, vouches for digital payments". Business Today. November 28, 2017.
- Ahuja, Aakanksha (October 24, 2018). "Paytm Payments Bank appoints Satish Kumar Gupta as MD and CEO". Livemint.
- "Paytm Payments Bank Launched: All About India's Mobile-First Bank With Zero Minimum Balance". India.com. November 29, 2017.
- "Paytm gets a green signal from the RBI to formally launch its 'Payments Bank'". The Economic Times. January 4, 2017.
- "RBI gives licence for 11 payments banks". The Hindu Business Line. January 23, 2018.
- Srivats, KR (January 9, 2018). "Arun Jaitley launches Paytm Payments Bank". The Hindu Business Line.
- Shetty, Mayur (August 29, 2020). "Paytm seeks in-principle nod on small bank licence". The Times of India.
- "Paytm Payments Bank processes 970 million digital transactions in March". Livemint. April 13, 2021.
- "Paytm Payments Bank posts net profit of ₹30 crore in FY20". The Hindu Business Line. June 9, 2020.
- "Paytm Payments Bank can now issue payment mandates for IPOs as SEBI approves UPI handle". Financial Express. March 15, 2021.
- Motiani, Preeti (April 7, 2021). "Payments bank deposit limit hiked to Rs 2 lakh by RBI". The Economic Times.
- Anupam, Suprita (January 8, 2018). "Paytm Payments Bank Partners With IndusInd Bank To Offer Fixed Deposit". Inc42.
- "Paytm Payments Bank partners with Mastercard". The Times of India. April 17, 2020.
- "Paytm Bank account holders can now avail FD services from Suryoday Bank". Livemint. January 19, 2021.
- Merwin, Radhika (September 10, 2019). "Why five out of the 11 payments banks have shut shop". The Hindu Business Line.
- Raj, Amrit; Verma, Shrutika (August 1, 2018). "Paytm payments bank stops enrolling new users after RBI concerns". Hindustan Times.
- "Paytm Payments Bank is still not allowed to add new customers, says CEO". Business Standard. August 25, 2019.
- Bhakta, Pratik; Chanchani, Madhav (January 1, 2019). "RBI allows Paytm Bank to restart account opening t". The Economic Times.
- "MeitY Start-up Summit, 2019". Paytm via Twitter. October 29, 2019.
- "Winners of Infosys Finacle Client Innovation Awards 2019 Announced". Infosys. April 10, 2019.
- "Paytm Payments Bank: Building a Truly Digital Bank". Celent.com. April 11, 2019.
- "2019 winners – Retail Banker International Asia Trailblazer Awards". rbiasiatrailblazer.co.uk. 2019.
- "Excellence Award 2018". npci.org.in. National Payments Corporation of India. 2018.