FASTag is an electronic toll collection system in India, operated by the National Highway Authority of India (NHAI). It employs Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology for making toll payments directly from the prepaid or savings account linked to it or directly toll owner. It is affixed on the windscreen of the vehicle and enables to drive through toll plazas without stopping for transactions. The tag can be purchased from official Tag issuers or participating Banks and if it is linked to a prepaid account, then recharging or top-up can be as per requirement. As per NHAI, FASTag has unlimited validity. 7.5% cashback offers were also provided to promote the use of FASTag. Dedicated Lanes at some Toll plazas have been built for FASTag.
|Type||Electronic toll collection|
|Founded||November 4, 2014|
|Owner||National Highway Authority of India|
|Parent||Ministry of Road Transport and Highways|
As of September 2019, FASTag lanes are available on over 500 national and state highways and over 54.6 lakh (5.46 million) cars are enabled with FASTag. Starting 1 January 2021, FASTag was to be mandatory for all vehicles but later the date was postponed to 15 February 2021.
- The system was initially set up as a pilot project in 2014 on the stretch of the Golden Quadrilateral between Ahmedabad and Mumbai.
- The system was implemented on the Delhi - Mumbai arm of the Quadrilateral on 4 November 2014.
- In July 2015, toll plazas on the Chennai - Bangalore stretch of the Golden Quadrilateral started accepting FASTag payments.
- By April 2016, FASTag was rolled out to 247 toll plazas on national highways across India, representing 70% of all toll plazas in the country at the time.
- By 23 November 2016, 347 fee plazas out of 366 on national highways across the country accept FASTag payments.
- On 1 October 2017, the NHAI launched a FASTag lane in all 370 toll plazas under its ambit.
- On 8 November 2017, it was followed up by making FASTag mandatory on all new vehicles sold in India after December 2017.
- On 19 October 2019, it was announced that FASTag will be mandatory on all National Highways from 1 December 2019 and non-FASTag users will be charged double the toll.
- During November, Hyderabad airport launches FASTag Car Park facility.
- On 15 December 2019, FASTag became mandatory throughout India.
- 600+ Toll Plazas are now connected with FASTag. Many more are in queue to connect very soon.
- On 1 January 2021, FASTAG was made mandatory at every toll plaza in the country.
- "FASTag Roll-out and Facilitation". Press Information Bureau. New Delhi. 13 June 2016. Retrieved 13 June 2016.
- "Another Official FAQ" (PDF). NHAI. Retrieved 10 November 2017.
- "FASTag Page in NHAI website". Retrieved 10 November 2017.
- "Official FAQ" (PDF). NHAI. Retrieved 10 November 2017.
- Writer, Staff (9 January 2019). "Coming soon: Pay at petrol pumps in seconds using FASTags". livemint.com. Retrieved 9 January 2019.
- "These innovations are helping digital payments go mass". Sify. Retrieved 21 September 2019.
- Radhakrishnan, S. Anil (19 November 2020). "FASTag mandatory for all four-wheelers from Jan. 1". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 25 December 2020.
- Gupta, Siddhartha (31 October 2014). "Soon, drive non-stop and pay tolls speeding through 'FASTag' lane". Indian Express. New Delhi. Retrieved 2 November 2014.
- "Driving From Chennai to Bangalore? Get Smart Tag to Zip Through the Toll Gate". Express News Service. Chennai. The New Indian Express. 27 July 2015. Retrieved 27 July 2015.
- "FASTag Is Now Active In Over 70% Toll Plazas On National Highways". The Logical Indian. 21 April 2016.
- "Electronic Toll Management System". Press Information Bureau. Retrieved 18 December 2016.
- Sood, Jyotika (3 November 2017). "Four-wheelers sold from December must be fitted with FASTag: Centre". Retrieved 9 November 2017.
- "Come December, All New Vehicles Will Have FASTag for Cashless Toll Plazas: Nitin Gadkari". News18. Retrieved 9 November 2017.
- Somasekhar, M. "GMR Hyderabad International Airport introduces FASTag Car Park facility". @businessline. Retrieved 26 November 2019.
- "Hyderabad airport launches FASTag parking". LiveMint. 22 November 2019. Retrieved 26 November 2019.
- "FASTag will become mandatory from December 15, 2019". EconomicTimes. Retrieved 2 December 2019.
- Reddy, Ravi (7 December 2020). "FASTag at toll plazas must from January 1". The Hindu.