Nové Město na Moravě
Nové Město na Moravě (Czech pronunciation: [ˈnovɛː ˈmɲɛsto ˈna moravjɛ]; German: Neustadt in Mähren; literally "New Town on Moravia") is a town in the Vysočina Region in the central Czech Republic. It has about 10,000 inhabitants.
Nové Město na Moravě
|District||Žďár nad Sázavou|
|• Mayor||Michal Šmarda (ČSSD)|
|• Total||61.13 km2 (23.60 sq mi)|
|Elevation||594 m (1,949 ft)|
|• Density||160/km2 (430/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Despite its distant mountainous location, the town has a long tradition of manufacturing. Among the significant sectors is the production of ski equipment by Sporten, of medical instruments by Medin, and of wireless communication modems by Racom.
The town is a hub of many local roads, crossed by a first class road No. 19, and also by local railways No. 251 Tišnov – Žďár nad Sázavou. It is accessible from the D1 motorway, lying 30 km away from its nearest exit 141.
EGÚ Brno FacilityEdit
The town is a prominent Czech winter sports resort and it hosted the 2013 Biathlon World Championships and since the 2011–12 season, the Biathlon World Cup event has been held here more or less regularly.
It also hosted events of the Tour de Ski in 2007–08 and 2008–09.
Mountain bike races are also being organised in Nové Město, hosting races at the UCI Mountain Bike World Cup level as well as the cross-country event of the 2016 UCI Mountain Bike & Trials World Championships.
- Josef Vratislav Monse (1733–1793), historian
- Jan Štursa (1880–1925), sculptor
- Oldřich Blažíček (1887–1953), painter
- Jaromír Nečas (1888–1945), politician
- Vincenc Makovský (1900–1966), sculptor
- František Balvín (1915–2003), cross country skier
- George Brady (1928–2019), Holocaust survivor and brother of Hana Brady
- Hana Brady (1931–1944), Jewish girl murdered in the Holocaust, subject of documentary and children's book Hana's Suitcase
- Miroslava Němcová (born 1952), politician
- Pavel Tlustoš (born 1955), agrochemist
- Vladimír Havlík (born 1959), action artist, painter
- Ivo Strejček (born 1962), politician
- Radek Jaroš (born 1964), mountaineer and author
- Ivana Zemanová (born 1965), First Lady of the Czech Republic, wife of President Miloš Zeman
- Martin Koukal (born 1978), cross-country skier
- Eva Vítečková (born 1982), basketball player
- Martina Sáblíková (born 1987), speed skater
- Martin Nečas (born 1999), ice hockey player
- "Population of Municipalities – 1 January 2020". Czech Statistical Office. 2020-04-30.
- "It's Here…Welcome to the IBU World Championships Biathlon 2013!". 7 February 2013. Retrieved 25 August 2018.
- "ČD strengthening the transport service during the Biathlon World Championship in Nové Město na Moravě". Czech Railway Infrastructure Administration. 1 February 2013. Retrieved 25 August 2018.