Datuk Dr. Mohd Puad Zarkashi (Jawi: فؤاد زرکشي) (born 7 July 1957) is a Malaysian politician who has served as Speaker of the Johor State Legislative Assembly since April 2022 and Member of the Johor State Legislative Assembly (MLA) for Rengit since March 2022. He served as Deputy Minister of Education in the Barisan Nasional (BN) administration under former Prime Minister Najib Razak and former Minister Muhyiddin Yassin from April 2009 to May 2013, Member of Parliament (MP) for Batu Pahat from March 2008 to May 2013, Senator from October 2004 to October 2007 and Director-General of Special Affairs Department (JASA) from March 2015 to his resignation in April 2018. He is a member of the United Malays National Organisation (UMNO), a component party of the ruling BN coalition.
Mohd Puad Zarkashi
|Speaker of the |
Johor State Legislative Assembly
|Assumed office |
21 April 2022
|Menteri Besar||Onn Hafiz Ghazi|
|Preceded by||Suhaizan Kayat|
|2009–2013||Deputy Minister of Education|
|Faction represented in Dewan Rakyat|
|Faction represented in Dewan Negara|
|Faction represented in Johor State Legislative Assembly|
|Born||7 July 1957|
Johor, Federation of Malaya
|Political party||United Malays National Organisation (UMNO)|
|Barisan Nasional (BN)|
Perikatan Nasional (PN)
Muafakat Nasional (MN)
|Alma mater||University of Hull|
Early life and educationEdit
Puad was elected at the 2008 election for the seat previously held by UMNO's Junaidy Abdul Wahab. He had previously been a Senator. Puad served one term in Parliament, after being defeated in the 2013 election by Mohd Idris Jusi of the opposition People's Justice Party (PKR). Despite his defeat, he was re-elected to UMNO's 25-member Supreme Council later in the year. Puad was dropped as candidate by UMNO in the 2018 general election.
Puad was appointed as JASA director-general in March 2015 but he quit on 25 April 2018 in protest for not being picked as a BN candidate for the 2018 general election. JASA was somehow disbanded months later by the new Pakatan Harapan (PH) government after the downfall of the BN in the 2018 election.
In September 2012, Puad stated his belief that homosexuals could be identified through various means including the use of "V-Neck and sleeveless clothing" as well as a person's personal preference for "tight and light-colored clothing". He stated that these characteristics were "symptoms" which would allow parents to spot whether or not their son may be a homosexual, supporting the need to discipline them into turning straight "like it's a disease which can be cured" – a stance that is also endorsed by Malaysia's Education Ministry because they believe that this could actually affect one's ability to learn.
|2008||Batu Pahat||Mohd Puad Zarkashi (UMNO)||32,461||62.42%||Muhamad Abdullah (PAS)||19,757||37.58%||54,103||12,968||77.21%|
|2013||Mohd Puad Zarkashi (UMNO)||36,935||48.99%||Mohd Idris Jusi (PKR)||38,667||51.01%||77,202||1,524||87.46%|
|2022||Rengit||Mohd Puad Zarkashi (UMNO)||7,903||48.91%||Mohammad Huzair Lajis (BERSATU)||5,983||37.03%||16,157||1,920||59.57%|
|Khairuddin Abdul Rahim (PKR)||2,065||12.78%|
|Nizam Bashir Abdul Kariem Bashir (PEJUANG)||206||1.27%|
- "Keturunan Banjar Di Malaysia Jadi Melayu Baru - ANTARA News Kalimantan Selatan - ANTARA News Kalimantan Selatan - Berita Terkini Kalimantan Selatan". Retrieved 9 October 2015.
- "Y.B. Dr. Mohd Puad Zarkashi". Ministry of Education. Retrieved 29 January 2010.
- "Malaysia Decides 2008". The Star (Malaysia). Star Publications (Malaysia). Retrieved 28 January 2010. Percentage figures are calculated based on total turnout. Includes results from the 2004 election.
- "Senator shares ideas on how to revive glory of Malaysian football". The Star. Star Publications (Malaysia). 18 July 2007. Retrieved 29 January 2010.
- "Umno polls: Results for VP and supreme council". The Star. 20 October 2013. Retrieved 1 November 2014.
- "Johor Umno Will Not Stop Divisions From Holding EGM, Says Ghani". Bernama. 5 April 2008. Retrieved 29 January 2010.
- "Najib Announces 28-member Cabinet". Bernama. 9 April 2009. Retrieved 29 January 2010.
- "Anggota Pentadbiran" (in Malay). Ministry of Education. Retrieved 29 January 2010.
- "Puad Zarkashi quits as Jasa chief". Free Malaysia Today. 25 April 2018. Retrieved 25 April 2018.
- MUHAMMAD SHAMSUL ABD GHANI (25 April 2018). "Mohd Puad lepas jawatan KP Jasa kerana tak tercalon - Nasional". Sinar Harian (in Malay). Sinar Harian. Retrieved 25 April 2018.
- "4 Agensi Dibubarkan Kerajaan Bawah Pimpinan Tun Mahathir. Apa Fungsi Mereka Sebelum Ni?". CILISOS (in Malay). 23 May 2018. Retrieved 23 May 2018.
- NSTP Team (23 May 2018). "SPAD, JASA, JKKKP dissolved". New Straits Times. Retrieved 25 May 2018.
- "Laporan: 800 hilang kerja bila JASA tutup". Malaysiakini (in Malay). 20 September 2018. Retrieved 21 September 2018.
- "Guidelines to identify gay and lesbian symptoms published". MalaysiaKini. 13 September 2012. Retrieved 16 September 2012.
- "Dashboard SPR". dashboard.spr.gov.my. Retrieved 13 March 2022.
- "List of recipients of Federal awards and medals 2014". The Star. 7 June 2014. Retrieved 14 October 2018.