Mohamad Hasan (politician)
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (April 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Dato' Seri Utama Haji Mohamad bin Hasan (born 2 May 1956) is a Malaysian politician and the incumbent Deputy President of the United Malays National Organisation (UMNO) since 2018. He served as the party Acting President while the President, Ahmad Zahid Hamidi was on leave from 18 December 2018 to 30 June 2019.
|Deputy President of the |
United Malays National Organisation
(Acting President: 18 December 2018 – 30 June 2019)
|Assumed office |
30 June 2018
|President||Ahmad Zahid Hamidi|
|Preceded by||Ahmad Zahid Hamidi|
|10th Menteri Besar of Negeri Sembilan|
25 March 2004 – 10 May 2018
|Preceded by||Mohd Isa Abdul Samad|
|Succeeded by||Aminuddin Harun|
|Member of the Negeri Sembilan State Legislative Assembly for Rantau|
|Assumed office |
21 March 2004
|Preceded by||Ab. Ghani Hassan (UMNO-BN)|
Mohamad bin Hasan
2 May 1956
Rantau, Negeri Sembilan, Federation of Malaya (now Malaysia)
|Spouse(s)||Raja Salbiah Tengku Najumuddin|
|Alma mater||University of Malaya|
Mohamad is currently the Negeri Sembilan State Legislative Assemblyman for Rantau since 2004 and Leader of Opposition in the state assembly since 2018. He was the Menteri Besar of Negeri Sembilan from 25 March 2004 to 10 May 2018.
Mohamad received his early education at Sekolah Kebangsaan Datuk Akhir Zaman, Rantau, and continued his secondary education at Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Rantau. After completing secondary education, he went to Form 6 at Tuanku Ampuan Durah Secondary School, Seremban, and later pursued higher education at the University of Malaya (UM) in 1975.
Mohamad started his career as Bank Negara Malaysia Trainee, including Assistant Manager at Malayan Banking Berhad, and Manager of Arab Malaysian Merchant Bank Berhad. Mohamad later moved to Bank Bumiputra Malaysia Berhad, and had served as General Manager of Bank Bumiputra London (1988-1992). After dabbling in the banking world, he moved to the corporate sector as Chief Executive Officer of Cold Storage Malaysia Berhad (1992-1994). His last position in the corporate sector was as Managing Director of Cycle and Carriage Bintang Berhad (1994-2004).
In addition, Mohamad was also a member of the Board of Directors of Khazanah Nasional Berhad, as well as Chairman of the FIMA Berhad Group, as well as the Board of Directors of Sepang International Circuit (SIC).
After winning the Rantau state seat in the Negeri Sembilan State Legislative Assembly in the 2004 election, Mohamad sworn in as Menteri Besar of Negeri Sembilan on 25 March 2004. He managed to retain the seat in the 2008 election, 2013 election and was even unopposed in 2018 election after the Election Commission (EC) returning officer barred People's Justice Party (PKR)’s candidate Dr Streram Sinnansamy from filing his nomination papers. The Election Court has on the 16 November 2018, allowed the petition by Dr S. Streram and ruled that Mohamad's election was null and void. Mohamad had successfully won and defended the seat in a fresh by-election which was held on 13 April 2019.
Mohamad is also the Rembau Umno Division Chief, UMNO Supreme Council Member and UMNO Deputy President. On 19 December 2018, Mohamad was officially appointed as acting President of UMNO as President Ahmad Zahid Hamidi announced that he was taking a leave from carrying out his duties as president.
|2004||Mohamad Hasan (UMNO)||8,031||79.30%||Badrul Hisham Shaharin (KeADILan)||1,832||18.09%||10,127||6,199||72.77%|
|2008||Mohamad Hasan (UMNO)||7,739||66.17%||Aisah Lamsah (PKR)||3,956||33.83%||12,216||3,783||80.77%|
|2013||Mohamad Hasan (UMNO)||10,126||64.75%||Aisah Lamsah (PKR)||5,513||35.25%||15,878||4,613||87.09%|
|2018||Mohamad Hasan (UMNO) 1||None||None|
|2019||Mohamad Hasan (UMNO)||10,379||63.18%||Streram Sinnansamy (PKR)||5,887||35.84%||16,428||4,510||79.30%|
|Malar Rajaram (IND)||83||0.50%|
|Mohd Nor Yassin (IND)||79||0.48%|
Note: 1 The Election Court has on the 16 September 2018, passed a ruling that Mohamad Hasan had not been duly elected and a fresh by-election was called to be held after Mohamad Hasan's appeal was dismissed by the Federal Court on 18 February 2019.
- Abullah, Mohsin (8 October 2009). "What happens when Isa wins?". Sin Chew Daily. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- "Mohamad glad that BN has retained Negri Sembilan". NST. Retrieved 9 May 2013.
- "Mohamad Hasan returned unopposed". thestar.com.my. The Star Online. 19 April 2018. Retrieved 18 February 2019.
- "Rantau by-election on after court invalidates BN win - Nation". www.thestar.com.my. The Star Online. 16 November 2018. Retrieved 18 February 2019.
- "BN's Mohamad Hasan retains Rantau state seat after by-election". Bernama. Channel News Asia. 14 April 2019. Retrieved 14 April 2019.
- "Mohamad Hasan takes charge as Zahid goes on leave". The Star.
- "Keputusan Pilihan Raya Umum Parlimen/Dewan Undangan Negeri" (in Malay). Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 4 February 2017. Percentage figures based on total turnout.
- "Malaysia General Election". undiinfo Malaysian Election Data. Malaysiakini. Retrieved 4 February 2017. Results only available from the 2004 election.
- "KEPUTUSAN PILIHAN RAYA UMUM 13". Sistem Pengurusan Maklumat Pilihan Raya Umum (in Malay). Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 24 March 2017.
- "my undi : Kawasan & Calon-Calon PRU13 : Keputusan PRU13 (Archived copy)". www.myundi.com.my. Archived from the original on 30 March 2014. Retrieved 9 April 2014.
- "Keputusan Pilihan Raya Umum ke-13". Utusan Malaysia. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- "SEMAKAN KEPUTUSAN PILIHAN RAYA UMUM KE - 14" (in Malay). Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 17 May 2018. Percentage figures based on total turnout.
- "The Star Online GE14". The Star. Retrieved 24 May 2018. Percentage figures based on total turnout.
Mohd Isa Abdul Samad
| 10th Menteri Besar of Negeri Sembilan
2004 - 2018
Anthony Loke Siew Fook
| Leader of the Opposition of Negeri Sembilan
2018 - present