Ministry of Home Affairs (India)
North Block, Central Secretariat
|Formed||15 August 1947|
|Jurisdiction||Republic of India|
|Headquarters||Ministry of Home Affairs
North Block, Cabinet Secretariat
|Annual budget||₹78,020 crore (US$12 billion) (2017-18 est.)|
|Deputy Ministers responsible|
The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) or Home Ministry is a ministry of the Government of India, serving as the Indian State Department. An interior ministry, it is mainly responsible for the maintenance of internal security and domestic policy. The Home Ministry is headed by Union Minister of Home Affairs. Shri Rajnath Singh is the present Minister of Home Affairs.
The Home Ministry is also the cadre controlling Authority for the Indian Police Service(IPS), DANIPS and DANICS. Police-I Division of the Ministry is the Cadre Controlling Authority in respect of the Indian Police Service; whereas, the UT Division is the administrative Division for DANIPS and DANICS and the All India Service Officers posted and working in the AGMUT Cadre.
The ministerial team at the MHA is headed by the Union Cabinet Minister of Home Affairs, who is supported by one Minister of State and civil servants assigned to them to manage the ministers' office and ministry.
Home Secretary and other senior officialsEdit
The Home Secretary is the senior civil servant at the MHA. MHA headquarters in addition to post of home secretary has, on account of up-gradations since 2008,four more officers with the equivalent rank of secretary, including one officer from the Indian Police Service. The current Home Secretary is Rajiv Mehrishi.
Domestic Intelligence servicesEdit
The Ministry of Home Affairs extends manpower and financial support, guidance and expertise to the State Governments for the maintenance of security, peace and harmony without trampling upon the constitutional rights of the States.
- Department of Border Management
- Department of Border Management, dealing with management of borders, including coastal borders.
- Department of Internal Security
- Department of Internal Security, dealing with police, law and order and rehabilitation.
- Department of Jammu & Kashmir Affairs
- Department of Jammu & Kashmir (J & K) Affairs, dealing with the constitutional provisions in respect of the State of Jammu & Kashmir and all other matters relating to the State excluding those with which the Ministry of External Affairs is concerned.
- Department of Home
- Dealing with the notification of assumption of office by the President and Vice-President, notification of appointment of the Prime Minister and other Ministers, etc
- Department of Official Language
- Dealing with the implementation of the provisions of the Constitution relating to official languages and the provisions of the Official Languages Act, 1963.
- Department of States
- Dealing with Centre-State relations, Inter-State relations, Union Territories and Freedom Fighters' pension.
These are organisational divisions of the Ministry itself, without the splitting into specialised departments.
- Administration Division
- Handling all administrative and vigilance matters, allocation of work among various Divisions of the Ministry and monitoring of compliance of furnishing information under the Right to Information Act, 2005, matters relating to the Table of Precedence, Padma Awards, Gallantry Awards, Jeevan Raksha Padak Awards, National Flag, National Anthem, State Emblem of India and Secretariat Security Organisation.
- Border Management Division
- Matters relating to co-ordination by administrative, diplomatic, security, intelligence, legal, regulatory and economic agencies of the country for the management of international borders, creation of infrastructure like roads/fencing and floodlighting of borders, border areas development programme pilot project on Multi-purpose National Identity Card and Coastal Security.
- Centre-State Division
- The Division deals with Centre-State relations, including working of the constitutional provisions governing such relations, appointment of Governors, creation of new States, nominations to Rajya Sabha/Lok Sabha, Inter-State boundary disputes, over-seeing the crime situation in States, imposition of President's Rule and work relating to Crime & Criminal Tracking Network System (CCTNS) etc.
- Coordination Division
- Intra-Ministry co-ordination work, Parliamentary matters, public grievances (PGs), publication of Annual Report of the Ministry, Record Retention Schedule, Annual Action Plan of the Ministry, custody of classified and non-classified records of the Ministry, Internal Work Study, furnishing of various reports of Scheduled Castes/Scheduled Tribes and Persons with Disabilities, etc.
- Disaster Management Division
- Responsible for response, relief and preparedness for natural calamities and man-made disasters (except drought and epidemics). The Division is also responsible for legislation, policy, capacity building, prevention, mitigation and long term rehabilitation.
- Finance Division
- The Division is responsible for formulating, operating and controlling the budget of the Ministry under the Integrated Finance Scheme.
- Foreigners Division
- The Division deals with all matters relating to visa, immigration, citizenship, overseas citizenship of India, acceptance of foreign contribution and hospitality.
- Freedom Fighters & Rehabilitation Division
- The Division frames and implements the Freedom Fighters' Pension Scheme and the schemes for rehabilitation of migrants from former West Pakistan/East Pakistan and provision of relief to Sri Lankan and Tibetan refugees. It also handles work relating to Enemy Properties and residual work relating to Evacuee Properties.
- Human Rights Division
- The Division deals with matters relating to the Protection of Human Rights Act and also matters relating to national integration and communal harmony and Ayodhya.
- Internal Security Division-I
- Internal security and law & order, including anti-national and subversive activities of various groups/extremist organisations, policy and operational issues on terrorism, security clearances, monitoring of ISI activities and Home Secretary-level talks with Pakistan on terrorism and drug trafficking as a part of the composite dialogue process.
- Internal Security Division-II
- Division deals with arms and explosive; letters of request for mutual legal assistance in criminal matters; National Security Act, 1980 and representations thereunder; administration of Narcotics Control Bureau; providing central assistance to victims of terrorist, communal and naxal violence; matters relating to breach of privilege of MPs, etc.
- Jammu & Kashmir Division
- The Division deals with constitutional matters including Article 370 of the Constitution of India and general policy matters in respect of Jammu and Kashmir and terrorism/militancy in that State. It is also responsible for implementation of the Prime Minister's Package for J&K.
- Judicial Division
- Legislative aspects of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC) and also the Commission of Inquiry Act. It also handles matters relating to State legislations, which require the assent of the President under the Constitution, political pension to erstwhile rulers before independence, Mercy Petitions under Article 72 of the Constitution.
- Left Wing Extremism Division
- Control of left wing extremism in India, as naxalism and maoism.
- North East Division
- The Division deals with the internal security and law & order situation in North-Eastern States, including matters relating to insurgency and talks with various extremist groups operating in that region.
- Police Division-I
- Division functions as the cadre controlling authority in respect of Indian Police Service (IPS) and also deals with the award of Presidents' police Medals for Meritorious/ Distinguished service and Gallantry, etc.
- Police Division-II
- This Division deals with the policy, personnel, operational (including deployment) and financial matters relating to all the Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs) including BSF Air Wing. It also deals with the matters relating to welfare of the serving and retired CAPF personnel and the deployments in UN Peace Keeping Missions.
- Police Modernisation Division
- The Division handles all items of work relating to modernisation of State Police Forces, provisioning/procurement of various items for modernisation of Central Police Forces, police reforms and police mission.
- Policy Planning Division
- The Division deals with matters relating to policy formulation in respect of internal security issues, international co-operation on counter-terrorism, international covenants, bilateral assistance treaties and related items of work.
- Union Territories Division
- The Division deals with all legislative and constitutional matters relating to Union territories, including National Capital Territory of Delhi. It also functions as the cadre controlling authority of the Arunachal Pradesh-Goa-Mizoram and Union Territory (AGMUT) cadre of Indian Administrative Service (IAS)/Indian Police Service (IPS) as also Delhi-Andaman and Nicobar Island Civil Service (DANICS)/ Delhi-Andaman and Nicobar Island Police Service (DANIPS). Besides, it is responsible for over-seeing the crime and law and order situation in UTs.
- "Sarkaritel.com, : Ministries, Secretaries to Government of India".
- "Dineshwar Sharma appointed new Intelligence Bureau Director". India Today. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- "Divisions Of MHA".
- "Department Of MHA".