- The Indian name Mohandas is a patronymic, not a family name; thus, the person should be referred to by her given name, "Mamta".
Mamta Mohandas is an Indian film actress and playback singer who predominantly works in Malayalam films along with a Telugu and Tamil productions . She has won several allocades including two Filmfare Awards South, for Best Female Playback Singer in Telugu in 2006 and for Best Actress in Malayalam in 2010 and also Kerala State Film Awards for Second Best Actress in 2010.
|Born||14 November 1984|
|Residence||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Occupation||Actress, Playback singer|
|Home town||Kannur, Kerala, India|
|Spouse(s)||Prajith Padmanabhan (2011–2012)|
Mamta Mohandas was born on 14 November 1984 to Ambalappat Mohandas and Ganga into a Malayali family which originally hails from Kannur (Kerala). She attended the Indian School, Bahrain until 2002 and is an alumna of the School. She pursued a Bachelor's degree at Mount Carmel College Bangalore. She modeled for print ads for companies such as IBM and Kalyan Kendra and modeled on the ramp for the Mysore Maharajah and Raymonds. Mamta is trained in Karnatic and Hindustani music.
Subsequently, she acted alongside Mammootty in Bus Conductor, with Suresh Gopi in the films Adbutham (2006) and Lanka (2006), and alongside Jayaram in Madhuchandralekha (2006). She also played the female lead in Baba Kalyani with Mohanlal. Later that year, she débuted in the Tamil film industry, starring in the Karu Pazhaniappan directed film Sivappathigaram opposite Vishal (actor), which turned out to be an average grosser.
In 2007 she acted with Mammootty in the blockbuster film Big B. She eventually stepped into the Telugu film industry as well, when she appeared in a supporting role in the film Yamadonga, directed by SS Rajamouli. The film became one of the biggest hits of the year. She had lent her voice for a couple of songs in this film too. In 2008, she appeared in 7 films, predominantly in Telugu-language films. Her first release was her début Kannada film Gooli. She then starred in the film Krishnarjuna, playing the lead female role, which did not do well at the box office. Victory was her next assignment as lead actress, but that film also failed at the box office, following which she appeared in a cameo role in her only Tamil release that year, Kuselan, alongside Tamil superstar Rajinikanth. Three more Telugu releases featured Mamta, including Homam, directed by JD Chakravarthy and Srinu Vaitla's King opposite Nagarjuna. In both these films she also performed as a playback singer in several songs.
In 2009, she starred in the comedy film Guru En Aalu alongside Madhavan, and the thriller Passenger, sharing screen space with Dileep and Sreenivasan, respectively. While the former had an average run at the box office, the latter was declared a surprise sleeper hit in Malayalam. The film 'Passenger' in which she played the role of a television reporter 'Anuradha', became a turning point in Mamta's career.Mamta was initially approached to play the lead role in the 2009 Telugu dark fantasy "Arundathi".But she refused the offer and the movie later went on to become one of the highest grosser that year. In 2010, she worked with Jayaram in the critically acclaimed Kadha Thudarunnu directed by Sathyan Anthikkad, for which she won her first Best Actress Award from Filmfare. This film also won her the 'Vanitha award for best actress – Malayalam', the 'Mathrubhumi award for best actress – Malayalam' and the 'Asianet award for the best actress- Malayalam '. Other projects in 2010 included Musafir with Rahman, Anwar with Prithiviraj, and Kedi with Nagarjuna. Mamta's first film in 2011 was the Malayalam film Race, in which she played the role of Niya, wife of a cardio surgeon Abey (Kunchacko Boban). The film failed to do well at the box office. Her next release in Malayalam was Naayika. In 2012, Mamta appeared in her third Tamil film, Thadaiyara Thaakka directed by Magizh Thirumeni. In 2013 she starred in Paisa Paisa with Indrajith. In 2014 she starred in To Noora with Love in which she plays a Muslim character. She has made a comeback to Malayalam movie industry with Ranjith Shankar's Mammooty starrer "Varsham". She shared her screen space again with Dileep in "Two Countries" after doing a box office hit movie with him named "My Boss" In 2016, she starred opposite to Mammootty in Thoppil Joppan and she also signed a movie Baby sitter alongside Biju Menon. In early 2017, she signed Crossroad (2017 film) an anthology film in which she plays an orthodox Muslim. She also appeared in an extended cameo in Udaharanam Sujatha with Manju Warrier. In mid 2017,she signed Detroit Crossing aka Ranam opposite to Prithviraj but had to opt out because she did not have fresh dates to allocate for the project.
Mamta is as an acclaimed playback singer in Indian films as well. Mamta, who is trained in Carnatic and Hindustani music, first sang playback in the Telugu film Rakhi, singing the title song under Devi Sri Prasad's direction, making her debut in the Telugu film industry as a singer before making her acting debut in Telugu. She went on to win the 2006 Filmfare Best Female Playback Singer Award for that song.
Subsequently, she was asked to sing several songs for composer Devi Sri Prasad, including the chart buster "Akalesthe Annam Pedtha" for the Chiranjeevi-starrer Shankardada Zindabad (later dubbed as Daddy Mummy in the Tamil film Villu), "36-24-36" for the film Jagadam, "Mia" for Tulasi, and "Ghanana (Funny)" and the title song for the film King. Other music directors she has worked with include M. M. Keeravani (for her own films Yamadonga and Krishnarjuna, also Chandamama), R. P. Patnaik (for Andamaina Mansulo), Chakri (for Victory), Nithin Raikwar (for her own film Homam) and Thaman (for Jayeebhava).
In Tamil, she sang "Kaalai Kaalai" in the film Kaalai, which starred Silambarasan in the lead role. She sang "Idai Vazhi" for the comedy film Goa under noted composer Yuvan Shankar Raja's direction. Both songs featured her singing alongside Benny Dayal. She was heard for the first time in her mother tongue, Malayalam, in the 2010 film Anwar. She has also recorded a song for her film Thriller. In the film 'Mohabath', she sang a duet with Hariharan. She sang "Iravil Viriyum" in her 2012 film Arike.She sang "Karuppana Kannazhagi" in the film Aadupuliyattam.
|2006||"Rakhi Rakhi"||Rakhi||Devi Sri Prasad||Devi Sri Prasad||Telugu|
|2007||"Akalesthe Annam Pedtha"||Shankar Dada Zindabad||Devi Sri Prasad||Solo||Telugu|
|"36-24-36"||Jagadam||Devi Sri Prasad||Solo||Telugu|
|"Olammi Tikkareginda"||Yamadonga||M. M. Keeravani||Jr. NTR||Telugu|
|"Sakkubaayine"||Chandamama||M. M. Keeravani||Jassie Gift||Telugu|
|"Mia"||Tulasi||Devi Sri Prasad||Naveen||Telugu|
|2008||"Buggalerrabada"||Krishnarjuna||M. M. Keeravani||M. M. Keeravani||Telugu|
|"Ghanana (Funny)"||King||Devi Sri Prasad||Solo||Telugu|
|"King"||King||Devi Sri Prasad||Lesie Lewis||Telugu|
|"Andamaina Manasulo"||Andamaina Mansulo||R. P. Patnaik||Solo||Telugu|
|"Sunley Zara "||Victory||Charki||Naveen||Telugu|
|"Yey Mister Ninne"||Homam||Nithin Raikwar||Nihal,Shivani||Telugu|
|"Kalai"||Kaalai||G. V. Prakash Kumar||Benny Dayal||Tamil|
|2009||"Gundelona"||Jayeebhava||S. S. Thaman||Megha, Priya, Janani||Telugu|
|"Daddy Mummy"||Villu||Devi Sri Prasad||Naveen||Tamil|
|2010||"Idai Vazhi"||Goa||Yuvan Shankar Raja||Benny Dayal||Tamil|
|"Njan"||Anwar||Gopi Sundar||Prithviraj Sukumaran||Malayalam|
|"Priyankari"||The Thriller||Dharan Kumar||Haricharan||Malayalam|
|"Priyankari"(Remix)||The Thriller||Dharan Kumar||Benny Dayal||Malayalam|
|2011||"Atharu Peyyana"||Mohabath||S. Balakrishnan||Hariharan||Malayalam|
|"Kan Thurannoru Kalyani"||Mullassery Madhavan Kutty Nemom P. O.||Ratheesh Vegha||Solo||Malayalam|
|2015||"Karuppana Kannazhagi"||Aadupuliyattam||Ratheesh Vegha||Solo||Malayalam|
|2018||TBA||Aniyan Kunjinu Thannalayathu||M Jayachandran||Solo with siva||Malayalam|
Mamta was the brand ambassador of Kochi International Fashion Week (KIWF) which was held from 4 to 7 August. She is the brand ambassador along with actress Bhavana for team Kerala Strikers for the Celebrity Cricket League (CCL) held in 2013, captained by Mohanlal, who is also one of the owners of the team, and vice-captain Indrajith.
|2012||Kaiyil Oru Kodi||Host||Malayalam||Surya TV||Game show|
|2016||Kerala Cancer||Singer||Malayalam||Manorama News||Awareness Program|
|2016||D 4 Dance Reloaded||Judge||Malayalam||Mazhavil Manorama||Reality show|
|2017||D 4 Dance Junior v/s Senior||Judge||Malayalam||Mazhavil Manorama||Reality show|
|2017||Hand of God||Mamta||Malayalam||Mazhavil Manorama||Short film|
Mamta got engaged to Prajith Padmanabhan, a Bahrain-based businessman on 11 November 2011. They got married on 28 December 2011 in Kozhikode. On 12 December 2012, the couple applied for divorce.
Mamta is a cancer survivor, and is known to have battled Hodgkin's lymphoma from 2010. In April 2013, she had a relapse of the cancer and underwent treatment. She is currently residing in Downtown Los Angeles as a part of her cancer treatment.
- 2010: Second Best Actress – Kadha Thudarunnu
- 2010: Best Popular Actress – Kadha Thudarunnu
- 2010: Nominated - Best Actress - Kadha Thudarunnu
- 2013: Best Popular Actress – My Boss
- 2006: Won- Best Female Playback Singer in Telugu – Rakhi
- 2009: Nominated- Best Actress – Passenger
- 2010: Won- Best Actress – Kadha Thudarunnu
- 2013: Nominated- Best Actress – Arike
- 2013: Nominated- Best Playback Singer – Female - Arike
- 2014: Nominated- Best Actress – Celluloid
- 2016: Nominated- Best Actress – Two Countries
- Nominated - 2017: Best Playback Singer - Female -Aadupuliyattam
- Nominated - 2013: Best Actress -Celluloid, My Boss
- Won - 2016 : Woman of the Year
- Won - 2017 : Pride of South India
- Mathrubhumi-Kalyan Silks Chalachitra awards
- 2016-Best Actress - Two Countries
- Other awards
- 2013: The Pearl Malayalam Film Award for Second Best Actress – Celluloid
|Baba Kalyani||Madhumitha Ashokan||Malayalam|
|Kuselan||Assistant Director||Tamil||Cameo appearance|
|Kathanayakudu||Assistant Director||Telugu||Cameo appearance|
|2009||Guru En Aalu||Seema||Tamil|
|Kadha Thudarunnu||Vidya Lakshmi||Malayalam|||
|The Thriller||Malayalam||Special appearance|
|Karayilekku Oru Kadal Dooram||Gaadha||Malayalam|
|2012||Padmasree Bharat Dr. Saroj Kumar||Neelima||Malayalam|
|Njanum Ente Familiyum||Dr. Priya||Malayalam|
|Jawan of Vellimala||Anitha||Malayalam|
|My Boss||Priya S. Nair||Malayalam|
|Ladies and Gentleman||Anu||Malayalam|
|2014||To Noora with Love||Noora||Malayalam|
|2017||Udaharanam Sujatha||District Collector||Malayalam||Extended Cameo|
|Crossroad||Badarunneesa||Malayalam||in the segment "Badar"|
|Johny Johny Yes Appa||Amala Jayakumar||Malayalam|
|Ulle Veliye 2||TBA||Tamil||Pre-Production|
|Kodathi Samaksham Balan Vakeel||TBA||Malayalam||Filming|
|2 Countries part 3||Laya||Malayalam||Pre Production|
- "Birthday Exclusive: Mamta Mohandas". Deccan Chronicle. 14 November 2013. Retrieved 15 August 2016.
- "'My strength comes from my will to survive' - Times of India". Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- "Mamta Mohandas – Malayalam celebrities the stories and the gossips". Movies.deepthi.com. Retrieved 2 March 2012.
- "Kerala News – Mayookham". Kerals.com. 20 November 2005. Retrieved 2 March 2012.
- "Movie Buzz – Race – Reviews, Running Theaters, Show Times in Kochi/Cochin". Kochiservnet.com. 11 February 2011. Retrieved 2 March 2012.
- "Mamta in Nayika". TimesofIndia. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- "Arun Vijay speaks on 'Thadaiyara Thaakka' – Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 2 March 2012.
- "Interview with Mamtha Mohandas - Times of India". Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- Sanjith Sidhardhan (4 June 2012). "I don't want to be known as a singer: Mamta Mohandas". The Times of India. Retrieved 5 November 2012.
- "Mamta, up close". The Hindu. Retrieved 18 May 2012.
- "Mamta Mohandas weds family friend". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 28 December 2011.
- Parvathy S. Nayar. "Pregith and I have decided to part for good: Mamta Mohandas". The Times of India. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- "Interview with Mamtha Mohandas - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2017-11-06.
- Rohit Raj (25 April 2013). "There is a relapse of cancer, but will pass: Mamta Mohandas". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- "Mathrubhumi-Kalyan Silks Chalachitra awards 2010: Mammootty and Mamta Mohandas won the best actor and actress awards respectively". Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- "Artistes' welfare priority: Ganesh". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 23 May 2011.