Big B (film)
Big B (short form of Big Brother) is a 2007 Indian Malayalam-language action crime film co-written and directed by Amal Neerad, starring Mammootty, Manoj K. Jayan, Bala and Sumit Naval. The cinematography was done by Sameer Thahir, songs were composed by Alphons Joseph and background score by Gopi Sundar. The film is an unofficial remake of the American film Four Brothers (2005).
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Amal Neerad|
|Written by||Amal Neerad|
Unni R. (dialogues)
Manoj K Jayan
|Music by||Alphons Joseph|
Background score :
|Edited by||Vivek Harshan|
|Distributed by||Marikar Films|
Many consider Big B as a landmark movie in Malayalam Cinema for the freshness and style the movie possessed at the time of its release, which apparently gave the movie an iconic stature and cult following.. A sequel titled Bilal (2nd part of Big B)was announced by Amal Neerad on 17 November 2017.
The story begins with the cold-blooded murder of Mary John Kurishingal (Nafisa Ali). Her adopted sons arrive for her funeral from various places; Bilal John Kurishingal – a gangster (Mammootty), Eddy John kurishingal-hotel owner (Manoj K Jayan), Murugan John Kurishingal – film stunt master (Bala) and Bijo – a student (Sumit Naval). The four brothers take it upon themselves to unearth the mystery behind their mother's murder. Bilal starts meeting his old friends and contacts in the Kochi underworld to get information on the killers. Little by little, they piece together the evidence and find out that the murder was committed by two professional 'hitmen' from Mumbai. The ACP Balaji Shakthivel (Pasupathy), who is an upright cop put in charge of investigations, tries his level best but cannot fetch any evidence to prove anything related. They soon find out that the murder was one of the many meticulously planned operations, aimed to check the teacher's intrusions into unlawful exporting of children from Kochi. As the Mayor (Ramesh Varma) and his henchman, an underworld don called Saiyuppu Tony (Sherveer Vakil) are involved, the brothers decide to take up arms to avenge their mother. How they accomplish their revenge forms the rest of the story.
- Mammootty as Bilal John Kurishingal
- Manoj K Jayan as Eddy John Kurishingal
- Bala as Murugan John Kurishingal
- Sumit Naval as Bijo John Kurishingal
- Nafisa Ali as Mary John Kurishingal
- Shereveer Vakil as 'Sayippu' Tony
- Lena as Celina, Eddy's wife
- Mamta Mohandas as Rimi, Murugan's love interest
- Innocent as Tommy Parekkadan, Rimi's Father
- Vijayaraghavan as CI George
- Maniyanpilla Raju as Doctor Venu
- Manasa as Bijo's lover, daughter of Venu
- Pasupathy as Balaji Sakthivel, Assistant Commissioner of Police
- Ramesh Varma as Mayor
- Vinayakan as Pandi Asi, 'Sayippu' Tony's henchman
- Santhosh Jogi as Felix, Local goon and villain's henchman
- Sreejith Ravi as Anthakaram Babu
- Paris Laxmi as Dancer in the song "Oh January"
- Jinu Joseph as Killer 1
- OG Sunil as Killer 2
- Jaffar Idukki as Dog Shamsu
- V. K. Sreeraman as Advocate
|Soundtrack album by|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
The songs were composed by Alphons Joseph, with lyrics penned by Jophy Tharakan and Santhosh Varma. The background score was composed by Gopi Sundar. Shreya Ghoshal sang her first song in Malayalam through this film.
- Track listing
|1.||"Hip Hop"||Santhosh Varma||Shirdhin Thomas, Shelton Pinheiro||03:23|
|2.||"Muthumazha"||Jophy Tharakan||Vineeth Sreenivasan, Jyotsna||04:29|
|3.||"O January"||Jophy Tharakan||Sayanora||05:17|
|4.||"Oru Vakkum"||Jophy Tharakan||Alphons Joseph, Mridula Warrier||04:02|
|5.||"Vida Parayukayano"||Santhosh Varma||Shreya Ghoshal||04:44|
- "Mollywood and the right to copy". The New Indian Express.
- Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 12:12 (3 December 2017). "Mammootty's 'Big B': Revisiting Malayalam cinema's cult action film". The News Minute.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- "Mammootty's Bilal: Here's An Exciting Update On The Star Cast Of The Project!". www.filmibeat.com. 13 February 2020.
- Yesudas, Richy (13 April 2017). "10 years of Big B:".
- "Big-B". Sify.
- "10 Years Of Mammootty's Big B: Here Are The Film's Big Contributions To The Industry!". www.filmibeat.com. 13 April 2017.
- "Bilal first look: Mammootty and Amal Neerad join hands for sequel of Big B". Hindustan Times.
- K. Pradeep. "Theatrics in cinema". The Hindu. 21 April 2007. Retrieved 21 July 2011.
- "2007's Top Malayalam hits so far". Rediff. Retrieved 25 March 2014.