Pasupathy (born 5 September 1967) is an Indian actor. He appeared in critically acclaimed roles in many noted films in Tamil cinema, playing supporting, antagonistic, comedic as well as protagonistic roles.
5 September 1969
His performance in E (2006) earned him a Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor and a Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Supporting Actor. He also won an ITFA Best Supporting Actor Award for his role in Kuselan (2008). He has also appeared in Malayalam, Telugu, and Kannada films.
Pasupathy Masilamani was born in 1967 at Vannandurai, a northern neighbourhood Chennai, India. In 1984, he joined the Chennai-based theatre group "Koothu-P-Pattarai" where he was there till 1997. He studied and grew up there till he started to act in films. He became friends with actor Nassar who was in the film institute and later joined the Koothu-P-Pattarai.
When he was working in Marudhanayagam, Nassar asked him whether he was interested in films. Pasupathy was then introduced to Kamal Haasan and he was given the villain role in Marudhanayagam. Pasupathy stated "That was the first time I was before the camera". Marudhanayagam was shelved and Nasser's Mayan which he was also part of was his first release.
He got his first major recognised role in Virumaandi as Kothaala Thevar. He later began appearing in negative roles in a number of films such as Dhool, Sullan, Madhurey and Thirupaachi. He later branched out into comedy with Mumbai Xpress and Majaa. His first lead role was in the National Film Award winning film Veyyil. He further played lead roles in Raman Thediya Seethai, in which he appeared as a blind radio jockey, and Kuselan in which he was seen as a village barber. In Aravaan, a period-based action drama, he played Kombhoodhi, the warrior head of a village in the 18th Century, for which he had trained at the gym for six months.
His role as Annachi in the 2013 Tamil film Idharkuthane Aasaipattai Balakumara won critical accolades. He acted in an independent English film called The Last Vision, film made by youngsters from Kerala for festivals. Pasupathy's upcoming films include Appavin Meesai, directed by Rohini, where he plays a therukooththu artiste, Mosakutty, where he essays a positive role, Sakunthalaavin Kaadhalan, Yagavarayinum Naa Kaakka, directed by actor Aadhi's brother Sathya Prabhas Pinisetty, Anjala, directed by Thangam Saravanan and Vetrimaran's untitled film with Dhanush and Vijay Milton's untitled film with Vikram. In 2014, Pasupathy played Aditya Karikalan in a theatrical adaptation of Ponniyin Selvan.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2003||Veede||Swarnakka's younger brother||Telugu||Remake of Dhool|
|2004||Madhurey||K. T. R.||Tamil|
|2006||E||Nellai Mani||Tamil||Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor|
|2007||Big B||Balaji Sakthivel||Malayalam|
|2008||Raman Thediya Seethai||Nedumaran||Tamil|
|2008||Kuselan||Balakrishnan||Tamil||ITFA Best Supporting Actor Award|
|2009||TN-07 AL 4777||Mani||Tamil|
|2009||Vairam: Fight For Justice||Sivarajan||Malayalam|
|2012||No. 66 Madhura Bus||Varadarajan||Malayalam|
|2012||The Last Vision||English|
|2013||Idharkuthane Aasaipattai Balakumara||Annachi||Tamil|
|2014||Anaamika||Ajmad Ali Khan||Telugu|
|2014||Nee Enge En Anbe||Tamil|
|2015||Yagavarayinum Naa Kaakka||Kasimedu Deva||Tamil|
|2017||Ma Chu Ka||Arivazhakan||Malayalam|
|2019||Vennila Kabaddi Kuzhu 2||Saamy||Tamil|
|2019||Asuran||Murugesan, pachaiyammal's brother||Tamil|
|2021||Sarpatta Parambarai||Rangan Vaathiyar, Sarpatta clan's boxing coach||Tamil||Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor|
|2021||Raja Vikramarka||Guru Narayan||Telugu|
|TBA||Arasiyalla Idhellam Saadharnamappa||TBA||Tamil|
|TBA||Ponniyin Selvan||Aditya Karikalan||Tamil|
|2021||November Story||Kulandhai Yesu||Tamil||Disney+ Hotstar||Debut Web Series|||
- "Tamil Cinema News - Tamil Movie Reviews - Tamil Movie Trailers". Indiaglitz.com. 2 July 2011. Archived from the original on 6 December 2019. Retrieved 25 July 2018.
- "I want challenges in life too: Actor Pasupathy". Thehindu.com. 29 December 2006. Archived from the original on 13 December 2019. Retrieved 25 July 2018.
- "The 'Virumaandi' villain makes a mark". The Hindu. 7 May 2004. Archived from the original on 11 June 2014. Retrieved 25 July 2018.
- Kamath, Sudhish (9 October 2011). "Enter the warrior". Thehindu.com. Archived from the original on 11 October 2020. Retrieved 25 July 2018.
- Rao, Subha J. (17 May 2014). "Method actor Pasupathi". Thehindu.com. Archived from the original on 21 May 2014. Retrieved 25 July 2018.
- Santhanam, Kausalya (12 June 2014). "Team work at its best". Thehindu.com. Archived from the original on 16 June 2014. Retrieved 25 July 2018.
- http://forum.indya.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30492&d=1242813200[permanent dead link]
- "Tamannaah shares glimpse of recent photoshoot after recovering from COVID-19". The News Minute. 4 November 2020. Archived from the original on 4 November 2020. Retrieved 8 November 2020.
- Bhatia, Tamannaah (30 November 2019). "Wrapped up the first schedule of The November's Story, my maiden Tamil web series, eagerly looking forward to the next schedule curated by a young passionate talented lot 💃💃💃 Produced by @anandavikatan for @hotstar Directed by @ram_1825 #Ramsubramanian Director of photography @vidhu.ig #vidhuayyanna Hair @tinamukharjee Makeup @nikki_rajani Costume @nishkalulla". Instagram. Archived from the original on 24 December 2021. Retrieved 30 November 2019.
- "November Story Teaser". YouTube. 22 October 2020. Archived from the original on 21 December 2021. Retrieved 22 October 2020.