Padmasree Bharat Dr. Saroj Kumar
Padmasree Bharat Dr. Saroj Kumar is a 2012 Malayalam satirical film directed by Sajin Raaghavan, starring Sreenivasan and Mamta Mohandas in the lead roles. It is a spin-off of popular 2005 film Udayananu Tharam. Sreenivasan reprises the role of Megastar Saroj Kumar from the original. The director announced that this is not a sequel: Only some characters from Udayananu Tharam were used. The film was shot mainly in Chennai and Kochi.
|Padmasree Bharat Dr. Saroj Kumar|
|Directed by||Sajin Raaghavan|
|Produced by||Vaishaka Rajan|
|Edited by||Kevin Thomas|
|Distributed by||Vaishaka Cinema & PJ Entertainments UK|
Saroj Kumar is a matinée idol and Megastar in Kerala churning out hits one after the other. But a few of his recent movies, such as Vekkeda Vedi, turns out to be big flops. His new film, directed by Alex Samuel, gets cancelled on the first day of shooting when Saroj slaps fellow actor Shyam for some silly reasons. Pachalam Bhasi, the producer, tries for a compromise, but Saroj is not ready to apologise.
Alex Samuel and Pachalam Bhasi starts their new film with Shyam in the lead. Saroj bribes film associations and gets it banned. He gets the rank of Colonel in the Army and shows of with it. This is when Babykuttan, another producer, comes into scene. He helps Alex Samuel and Pachalam Bhasi to resume their project. Saroj Kumar tries to cancel the film in many ways but it is successfully completed and is well received by the audiences.
Meanwhile, the income tax department raids his premises and starts prosecution proceedings for tax evasion. Saroj is tense about this, and he drinks a lot acting in a different manner. Many truths regarding Saroj's personal life are revealed towards the end. The film ends a silhouette showing the film's timeline (and Saroj's failure) and Alex Samuel, along with Shyam, who is revelead to be the son of Saroj Kumar and his first wife, celebrating the success of the film.
- Sreenivasan as lieutenant colonel Padmasree Bharat Dr. Saroj Kumar
- Vineeth Sreenivasan as Shyam
- Mamta Mohandas as Neelima
- Fahadh Faasil as Alex Samuel
- Jagathy Sreekumar as Pachalam Bhasi
- Suraj Venjarammoodu as Muttathara Babu
- Salim Kumar as Rafeek
- Mukesh as Babykkuttan
- Manikuttan as Rajesh
- Sandhya (special appearance)
- Meera Nandan (special appearance)
- Sarayu (special appearance)
- Roopa (special appearance)
- Nimisha Suresh (special appearance)
- Kollam Thulasi as Union Leader
- Liimal G Padath as Fahadh's Assistant
- Apoorva Bose as Lekha
- Sajitha Betti as Neelima's friend
- Ponnamma Babu as Neelima's friend
- Shari as Shyam's mother
- Manoj Kumar as Shyam's neighbour
- Cherthala Lalitha as Shyam's neighbour
- Deepika Mohan as Servant
About the idea of making Padmasree Bharat Dr. Saroj Kumar, Sreenivasan says:
The thought of the film came to us when we started thinking about what should be happening to a superstar like Saroj Kumar at this point of time. He is getting old and the most challenging aspect about stardom is that once you have got it, the next question is how long it will last. Some people can accept the changes in life in a mature way but for most others, it is never easy. This superstar is wary of new thoughts and new experiments because he knows he won't fit into the changing scheme of things. It is easy to be a hero in films as even a weak person can fight with any number of goons and get applause from viewers. But Dr Saroj Kumar forces the directors to cater to his thoughts. All this makes the character very exciting.
The film released on 14 January 2012 to mainly negative reviews from critics. Paresh C Palicha of Rediff.com concluded his review saying, "On the whole, Padmasree Bharat Dr. Saroj Kumar is disappointing, to say the least." Hari Prasad of Yentha.com said that "the film, despite having a good theme, suffers from a messy script." Sify.com and Oneindia.in also published negative reviews saying that it is "disappointing." Fassil won the Asianet Youth Icon Award.
|2.||"Iniyoru Chalanam"||Shaan Rahman, Vineeth Sreenivasan|
|3.||"Kesu"||Vineeth Sreenivasan, Shweta Mohan|
- "Padmashree Bharat Dr Saroj Kumar". Nowrunning.com.
- "First Look: Padmasree Bharat Dr Saroj Kumar". Rediff.com. Retrieved 11 October 2011.
- Sreenivasan: It is easy to be a hero in films, Rediff.com, January 17, 2012
- "Saroj Kumar to hit screens today"
- "Review: Padmasree Bharat Dr Saroj Kumar is crass"
- "Movie Review: Padmashree Bharat Dr.Saroj Kumar (Mal) - Disappoints Big Time!"
- Movie Review: Padmashree Bharat Dr. Saroj Kumar"
- "Padmasree Bharat Dr Saroj Kumar – Movie Review"