G. V. Prakash Kumar
This article may contain wording that promotes the subject through exaggeration of unnoteworthy facts. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
G. V. Prakash Kumar is an Indian actor, a composer of film scores and soundtracks, and a producer and singer. He has predominantly scored music for Tamil films. His first film was S Pictures' Veyyil (2006).
G. V. Prakash Kumar
GV Prakash Kumar
He first appeared as a vocalist on the soundtrack of director S. Shankar's Tamil film Gentleman, composed by his maternal uncle, A. R. Rahman. He has also contributed to some of Rahman's other projects. He had also worked with Harris Jayaraj and sang two songs in Anniyan and Unnale Unnale.
G.V. Prakash's introduction as a film composer was in the critically acclaimed Tamil film Veyil, directed by Vasantha Balan and produced by director S. Shankar. His music in the film Madrasapattinam, directed by A. L. Vijay was appreciated mainly for his song "Pookal Pookum Tharunam".
He went on to win critical acclaim for his music in Selvaraghavan's drama film Mayakkam Enna, which became his third collaboration that featured Dhanush in the lead role. The album's five songs were written by Selvaraghavan and Dhanush, with the pair also coming together to sing the song "Kadhal En Kadhal". The album also included the song "Pirai Thedum", which Prakash sang himself along with his fiancée, Saindhavi whilst another song "Voda Voda Voda", written and sung by Dhanush, was composed in just 15 minutes and recorded within an hour. Rediff.com reviewed the soundtrack claiming that Prakash had "tried very hard to walk away from his comfort zone and provide the kind of edgy numbers Selvaraghavan demands, and has risen to the challenge". Critics from entertainment portal Behindwoods.com cited that Prakash "reiterates his talent once again" and gave a verdict that the album is "intoxicating enough". In late September 2011, a single track "Oru Murai", written by Thamarai and composed and sung by Prakash in R. S. Infotainment's Muppozhudhum Un Karpanaigal was released. His subsequent releases include the political satire Saguni and the background score of the Hindi crime film Gangs of Wasseypur. Songs of the movie Darling were hits. Especially "Vandha Mala", "Anbe Anbe" and "Sattunu Idi Mazhai". Prakash's songs in Kaaka Muttai were massive hits. "Karuppu Karuppu" song was on charts for a few months. "Karuppu Nerathazhagi" was a huge hit from Komban. G.V. Prakash signed his 50th film with director Atlee that is Vijay's 59th, which is named Theri. The movie soundtrack is rated 3.25/5 by Behindwoods.
In 2013, Prakash Kumar launched his own production house under the name "GV Prakash Kumar Productions". His first film Madha Yaanai Koottam, was directed by Vikram Sugumaran, a former assistant of Balu Mahendra.
In 2012, director A.R. Murugadoss had seen a picture of G. V. Prakash on a poster promoting his work in A. L. Vijay's Thaandavam and contacted him regarding a potential acting venture. Prakash agreed to star in the project and though the film later failed to take off, he remained interested in acting opportunities. He subsequently signed on to appear in three films in quick succession, with the three entering production simultaneously. In order to further his acting ability, he took lessons from actor Aadukalam Naren and has noted that his stage performances as a singer were also helpful in demonstrating his potential as an actor. Prakash was going to make his acting debut in a film titled Pencil, opposite Sri Divya, where he will be playing a school student. However, as Pencil's release was delayed, his first release became the horror film Darling.
As of November 2016, G. V. Prakash Kumar is currently working on several projects simultaneously. Currently he is working on the productions of Venkat Pakkar's comedy film 4G, Ravi Arasu's Ayngaran, Bala's Naachiyaar, Vallikanth's Semma, Baba Bhaskar's Kuppathu Raja and Shanmugam Muthusamy's action film Adangathey, where he features in an ensemble cast including Sarathkumar, Surabhi and Mandira Bedi. Other films he has signed include Sarvam Thaala Maayam by Rajiv Menon, Virgin Mappillai by Adhik Ravichandran, an untitled family drama film by Sasi and another untitled film by Vetrimaaran. G. V. Prakash Kumar has signed the Seeman-directorial Kobam, which began production in October 2017.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2008||Kuselan||Himself||Cameo appearance in "Cinema Cinema" song|
|2013||Naan Rajavaga Pogiren||Himself||Cameo appearance in "College Padam" song|
|Thalaivaa||Bar dancer||Cameo appearance in "Vaanganna" song|
|2015||Darling||Kathir||Edison Award for Debut Actor|
SIIMA Award for Best Debut Actor
Filmfare Award for Best Male Debut – South
|JK Enum Nanbanin Vaazhkai||Himself||Cameo appearance in "Title" song|
|Trisha Illana Nayanthara||Jeeva|
|Enakku Innoru Per Irukku||Johnny|
|Kadavul Irukaan Kumaru||Kumar|
|2017||Bruce Lee||Bruce Lee|
|Anbanavan Asaradhavan Adangadhavan||Jeeva||Cameo appearance|
|2019||Sarvam Thaala Mayam||Peter Johnson|
|Sivappu Manjal Pachai||Madhan||Filming|
As music directorEdit
- Released soundtracks
- #Film score by another composer
- #2Soundtrack by another composer
- The films are listed in order that the music released, regardless of the dates the film released.
- The year next to the title of the affected films indicates the release year of the either dubbed or remade version in the named language later than the original version.
- • indicates original language release. Indicates simultaneous makes, if featuring in more languages
- ♦ indicates a remade version, the remaining ones being dubbed versions
|2019||Party||"Thean Pudhu Thean"||composed by Premgi Amaren|
|2019||100% Kadhal||"Kannum Kannum Plus"|
|2019||Sarvam Thaala Mayam||"Peter Beata Edhu"||composed by A. R. Rahman|
|2018||Lakshmi||"Ala Ala"||composed by Sam C. S.|
|2018||Naachiyaar||"Unna Vitta Yaarum Illa"||composed by Ilayaraja|
|2017||Mersal||"Mersal Arasan"||composed by A. R. Rahman|
|2016||Bruce Lee||" Sugar Mint-u Kari "|
|Kadavul Irukaan Kumaru||"Hey paathu podi" , " Nee pona theruvula " , " Gum Zaare "|
|Adra Machan Visilu||"Yaru Iva"||composed by N. R. Raghunandan|
|Theri||"Eena Meena Teeka", "En Jeevan II"|
|2015||Eetti||"Un Swasam", "Naan Pudicha Mosakutiye"|
|Trisha Illana Nayanthara||"Bittu Padam Di", "Yenachu Yedhachu"|
|Kaaka Muttai||"Karuppu Karuppu", "Edhai Ninaithom"|
|Idhu Enna Maayam||"Iravaaga Nee", "Irukiraai"|
|Pencil||"Yaarai Polum", "Kangaliliae II" , "LED Kannala II"|
|Rajathanthiram||"Yen Idha Paarvaigal"|
|Darling||"Anbe Anbe", "Sattena Idi Mazhai"|
|Poriyaalan||"Kan Rendum"||composed by M. S. Jones|
|Naan Sigappu Manithan||"Elelo", "Idhayam Unnai Theduthey"|
|Irumbu Kuthirai||"Penne Penne"|
|2013||JK Enum Nanbanin Vaazhkai||"Nee Enna Pesuvaai", "Facebook Login"|
|Raja Rani||"Imaye", "Hey Baby"|
|Biriyani||"Edhirthu Nil"||composed by Yuvan Shankar Raja|
|Udhayam NH4||"Yaaro Ivan", "Vaa Iravugal"|
|Naan Rajavaga Pogiren||"Yaarivano"|
|Madha Yaanai Koottam||"Kona Kondakari"||composed by N. R. Raghunanthan|
|2012||Neerparavai||"Para Para"||composed by N. R. Raghunanthan|
|Sundarapandian||"Rekkai Mulaiththen"||composed by N. R. Raghunanthan|
|Thaandavam||"Anicham Poovazhagi", "Adhigaalai Pookal"|
|Muppozhudhum Un Karpanaigal||"Oru Murai"|
|2011||Mayakkam Enna||"Pirai Thedum"|
|2010||Va||"Unnai Kann", "Sharp Sharpji"|
|Aayirathil Oruvan||"Indha Paadhai"|
|2007||Unnale Unnale||"Hello Miss"||composed by Harris Jayaraj|
|2005||Anniyan||"Kadhal Yaanai"||composed by Harris Jayaraj|
|1999||Suriya Paarvai||"Ganapathi Thatha"||composed by S. A. Rajkumar|
|1999||Mudhalvan||"Alagaana Ratchachiye"||composed by A.R.Rahman|
|1995||Muthu||"Kuluvalilae"||composed by A. R. Rahman|
|Indira||"Ini Achamillai"||composed by A. R. Rahman|
|Bombay||"Kuchi Kuchi"||composed by A. R. Rahman|
|1994||May Madham||"Madrasai Suthi", "Palakkattu Machanukku"||composed by A. R. Rahman|
|1993||Uzhavan||"Kaathu Kaathu Dinam Kaathu"||composed by A. R. Rahman|
|Uzhavan||"Maari Mazhai Peyaadho"||composed by A. R. Rahman|
|Gentleman||"Chikku Bukku Rayile"||composed by A. R. Rahman|
- 2011: Best Music Director – Tamil – Aadukalam
- 2012: Nominated, Best Music Director – Tamil – Thandavam
- 2011: Nominated, Best Music Director – Tamil – Deiva Thirumagal
- 2011: Nominated, Filmfare Award for Best Male Playback Singer – Tamil – "Yathe Yathe" from Aadukalam
- 2010: Nominated, Best Music Director – Tamil – Aayirathil Oruvan
- 2010: Nominated, Best Music Director – Tamil – Madrasapattinam
- 2010: Best Song of the Year – Pookal Pookum Tharunam – Madrasapattinam
- 2011: Best Music Director of the Year – Aadukalam
- 2011: Best Album of the Year – Aadukalam
- 2011: Mirchi Listeners Choice Best Album – Aadukalam
- 2011: Best Song Sung by a Music Director – "Yathe Yathe" from Aadukalam
- 2011: Best Folk Song of the Year – "Otha Sollaala" from Aadukalam
- 2011: Popular Album of the Year – Aadukalam
- 2011: Popular Duet of the Year – "Pirai Thedum" from Mayakkam Enna (shared with Saindhavi)
- Other awards
- 2011: BigFm Award for Best Duet of the Year – "Ayyayo"
- 2011: BigFm Award for Best Music director and Lyricist combination of the Year – "Aariro"
- 2011: Norway Tamil Film Festival Award for Best Music Director – Madrasapattinam
- 2011: Vikatan Award for Best Music Director – Aadukalam
- 2012: Film Fans Association Award for Best Music Director – Aadukalam
- "Reihana Interview". Behindwoods. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- "GV Prakash-Saindhavi wedding on June 27!". Sify. 17 April 2013. Retrieved 18 April 2013.
- "A passion for music". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 28 January 2008. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "Audio launch of Mayakkam Enna". The Times of India. 21 September 2011.
- "Review: Mayakkam Enna songs are entertaining". Rediff. 22 September 2011.
- "Mayakkam Enna Music Review".
- "GV Prakash Kumar turns producer". Indian Express. 6 February 2013. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- "G V Prakash turns producer". Times of India. 23 January 2013. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- Sudhir Srinivasan. "On a different note". The Hindu.
- "GV Prakash turns hero in 'Pencil'". The New Indian Express.
- M, Ramakrishnan (11 February 2017). "The jack of all trades". Retrieved 25 March 2018 – via www.thehindu.com.
- "G.V.Prakash to team up with director Ravi Arasu for his next". behindwoods.com. 10 November 2016. Retrieved 25 March 2018.
- Anantharam, Chitradeepa (16 February 2017). "Parthiepan, key to Dhruva Natchathiram". Retrieved 25 March 2018 – via www.thehindu.com.
- "GV Prakash and Seeman unite". www.deccanchronicle.com/. 3 June 2017. Retrieved 4 June 2017.
- "The 59th Idea Filmfare Awards 2011(South)". The Times of India. Retrieved 8 July 2012.
- "Uyirin Uyire gets award". Times of India. 22 March 2013. Retrieved 22 March 2013.