London 2012 (video game)
London 2012: The Official Video Game is the official Olympic video game of the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. It was published by Sega and developed by Sega Studios Australia, making this the first Olympics title to be developed in-house by Sega.
|Developer(s)||Sega Studios Australia|
It is also the second official video game based on the 2012 Olympics, the other being Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games.
The game features an online mode for players wishing to compete with other challengers worldwide. The "national pride" is a ranking system in the online mode, where the players have the possibility to collect medals for their favorite country.
London 2012 is the first olympic video game that includes cooperative events in the local multiplayer mode.
London 2012 has received average reviews from critics. Aggregating review websites GameRankings and Metacritic gave the PlayStation 3 version a 66.77% and 66/100 and the Xbox 360 version a 65.26% and 64/100.
Chris Schilling from IGN gave the game a 7/10 rating, mentioning in the review that "Sega's celebration of the year's biggest sporting event is better than you might expect." In his opinion, the events of the game would not hold up too well in the long term, but that is not really what an Olympics game is about. He praised the online and offline multiplayer mode.
The German PC game magazine GameStar scored the game with 64/100. They criticized the gameplay, because it is almost impossible to play it with the mouse and the keyboard, so the player is forced to get a gamepad to play London 2012. They also mentioned that the gameplay of the events would not be different from each other and that the AI of the computer opponents is not balanced.
The game held the top spot of the UK All Format chart for three weeks following its release.
As of May 2013, the game has sold 680,000 copies in the US and Europe.
- "Sega announces London 2012 Olympics game" Digital Spy, 31 May 2011.. Retrieved 23 June 2011
- "Great Britain, your time is now...London 2012 – The Official Video Game of the Olympic Games" SEGA UK 17 January 2012. Retrieved 20 January 2012
- "London 2012 – The Official Video Game of the Olympic Games for PlayStation 3". GameRankings. 2012-06-26. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- "London 2012 – The Official Video Game of the Olympic Games for Xbox 360". GameRankings. 2012-06-26. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- "London 2012 – The Official Video Game of the Olympic Games for PlayStation 3 Reviews". Metacritic. 2012-06-26. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- "London 2012 – The Official Video Game of the Olympic Games for Xbox 360 Reviews". Metacritic. 2012-06-26. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- "London 2012 – The Official Video Game of the Olympic Games PS3 Review". IGN. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- "Olympische Spiele: London 2012 im Test" GameStar, 2 July 2012. (in German)
- "UK Chart: Three Weeks At The Top For London 2012". Gamebrit. 14 August 2012. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- Purchese, Robert (10 May 2013). "Aliens: Colonial Marines managed 1.31 million sales". Eurogamer. Gamer Network. Retrieved 10 May 2013.