List of political parties in Malta
This article lists political parties in Malta. Since World War II, Maltese political culture has developed into a two-party system dominated by the centre-left Labour Party (Maltese: Partit Laburista) and the centre-right Nationalist Party (Maltese: Partit Nazzjonalista). Although other political parties have presented candidates and, in some cases, elected MPs, in most cases these were splinter groups of the main parties and, on the rare occasions when they were successful, this success was short-lived.
Active political partiesEdit
Until 2015 there was no law in Malta requiring the registration and regulation of political parties, the General Elections Act made the necessary provisions for party participation in elections but no official list was maintained between elections. The Financing of Political Parties Act, which passed in 2015 and came into effect on 1 January 2016, introduced the requirement for political parties to register themselves with the Electoral Commission and declare all donations in order to be able to field candidates in general elections and European Parliament elections. The Labour Party was the first party to register, on 3 June 2016.
|Name||Abbrev.||Ideology||Position||House of Representatives||MEPs||Europarty||EP group|
|PL||Social democracy, Pro-Europeanism||Centre-left||
36 / 67
4 / 6
|PN||Christian democracy, Social conservatism, Economic liberalism, Pro-Europeanism||Centre-right||
28 / 67
2 / 6
|AD+PD||2020||Green politics, Progressivism||EGP|
|Alleanza Bidla||c. 2013||Social conservatism, Christian democracy, Euroscepticism||ECPM|
|Volt Malta||2021||European federalism, Pro-Europeanism, Social liberalism,Progressivism||Volt Europa|
|Brain Not Ego||c. 2019||N/A|
|Imperium Europa||2000||Pan-European nationalism, Economic liberalism, Pro-Europeanism, Neo-Nazism, Ultranationalism||N/A|
|Moviment Patrijotti Maltin||2016||Nationalism, anti-immigration||N/A|
Defunct and inactive political partiesEdit
- Alleanza Nazzjonali Repubblikana
- Alliance of Liberal Democrats Malta
- Alpha Liberal Democratic Party
- Anti-Reform Party
- Christian Workers' Party (active during 1960's Church/PL conflict)
- Communist Party of Malta
- Constitutional Party
- Democratic Alternative
- Democratic Action Party
- Democratic Nationalist Party (1921–26)
- Democratic Nationalist Party (1959-66)
- Democratic Party
- Gozo Party
- Jones Party
- Integrity Party (Malta)
- Libertas Malta
- Malta Workers Party
- Maltese Political Union
- National Action (Azzjoni Nazzjonali)
- Progressive Constitutionalist Party
- "Party Financing Law will come into effect in January 2016". TVM News. 15 July 2015. Retrieved 25 July 2016.
- "Party financing: PL registers itself with Electoral Commission". Times of Malta. Allied Newspapers. 3 June 2016. Retrieved 25 July 2016.
- Falzon, Glen (25 June 2020). "We might have a new party: 'Partit Popolari' applies for registration with Electoral Commission". TVM News. Retrieved 29 October 2020.
- Borg, Antoine P. "About". Brain Not Ego. Retrieved 29 October 2020.
This site was part of my electoral campaign for the 2019 European Parliamentary elections.
- Bonnici, Julian (30 May 2019). "'Għarb First' - Former Councillor Comes Back To Haunt PN; Sliema Is Set To Retain Its PN Majority". Lovin Malta. Retrieved 29 October 2020.