AD+PD, also written as ADPD, is a green political party in Malta. The party was founded on 17 October 2020 by a merger of the two most prominent third parties in Malta, the green Democratic Alternative (AD) and the social liberal Democratic Party (PD).
|Founded||17 October 2020|
|Merger of||Democratic Alternative|
|Youth wing||ADŻ Green Youth|
|Ideology||Green politics progressivism|
|European affiliation||European Green Party|
|International affiliation||Global Greens|
|House of Representatives|
0 / 67
0 / 6
|Local Council Seats|
0 / 462
Talks of unification started in September 2019 by the leaders of both parties and were announced in December 2019, when both parties met up next to the memorial of Karin Grech in San Ġwann. "I had long argued for the consolidation of third party politics into the new movement the country needs" stated Timothy Alden, then leader of PD. AD Chairman Carmel Cacopardo had stated that both parties had agreed on broad strokes in principle and were working together to move forward with the movement.
In a joint article published in The Malta Independent, Timothy Alden and Carmel Cacopardo stated that AD and PD had developed on the basis of dissent against power; both parties having been formed as acts of rebellion against injustices in the Labour Party. They stated that they shared a determination to address important issues which others conveniently try to ignore, and that over the years it had been AD and PD who had been at the forefront of the struggle for a better environment, good governance, transparency and accountability.
The party was officially announced as "AD+PD" on the 1 August 2020 when both parties met and signed an agreement to begin the merger process. From then on both parties promised to function as a single entity with a transition team. On 17 October 2020 both parties successfully merged into a single party under a transitional executive, in preparation for the first annual general meeting to be held in May 2021.
- Carmel Cacopardo 2020–present
- "Il-Kumitat AD+PD approvat waqt il-laqgħa ġenerali annwali 17 ta' Ottubru 2020". AD+PD (in Maltese). 17 October 2020. Retrieved 29 October 2020.
- "AD+PD formalised as small parties merge". Times of Malta. 17 October 2020. Retrieved 29 October 2020.
- Sansone, Kurt (16 October 2020). "AD+PD is new name for merger between Alternattiva and Partit Demokratiku". Malta Today. Retrieved 17 October 2020.
- "AD+PD formalised as small parties merge". Times of Malta. 17 October 2020. Retrieved 17 October 2020.
- "PD and AD prepare to join forces for next general election". Times of Malta. Retrieved 18 October 2020.
- "Dynamics of the AD/PD merger: one step at a time - The Malta Independent". www.independent.com.mt. Retrieved 2020-11-02.
- "Malta's small parties to merge". Times of Malta. Retrieved 2020-10-18.