This article needs to be updated. The reason given is: Consumption-based data needs updating.(February 2022)
This is a list of countries by total greenhouse gas (GHG) annual emissions in 2016. It is based on data for carbon dioxide, methane (CH4), nitrous oxide (N2O), perfluorocarbons (PFCs), sulfur hexafluoride (SF6) and hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs) emissions compiled by the World Resources Institute (WRI). The table below separately provides emissions data calculated on the basis of production, respectively consumption of goods and services in each country. WRI data includes emissions from land-use, land-use change and forestry, Global Carbon Project data does not. The unit used is megatonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent (MtCO2e) using the 100-year time horizon, like the UNFCCC. All countries which are party to the Paris Agreement report their greenhouse gas inventories at least biennially from 2024.
List of countries by production-based and consumption-based emissionsEdit
- Climate Analysis Indicators Tool (CAIT), Climate Watch. 2018. Washington, DC: World Resources Institute (2019). "Historical GHG Emissions". www.climatewatchdata.org. Retrieved 2020-11-08. The CAIT dataset is briefly described here, and in more detail here. Its data sources are the Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center (CDIAC), the International Energy Agency (IEA), the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), and the United States Energy Information Administration (EIA). It does not use countries’ official inventories reported to the UNFCCC, in order to emphasize comparability of data across countries. The sectors covered are the main IPCC sectors, including agriculture, bunker fuels, energy (electricity/heat, fugitive emissions, manufacturing/ construction, other fuel combustion, transportation), industrial processes, land-use change and forestry, and waste. Greenhouse gases are those covered in the Kyoto Protocol (carbon dioxide (CO2), methane (CH4), nitrous oxide (N2O), and F-gases: hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), perfluorocarbons (PFCs), sulfur hexafluoride (SF6))
- See Talk:List of countries by greenhouse gas emissions#Time horizon.
- "Common metrics". unfccc.int. Retrieved 2020-11-25.
- "NDC reporting: making the Paris Agreement Transparency Framework work". Energy Post. 2019-07-19.
- "Greenhouse Gas Inventory Data". di.unfccc.int. Retrieved 2020-11-25.
- "Greenhouse Gas Emissions over 165 Years".
- "Global Carbon Budget 2019 | Carbon Portal". Global Carbon Project. doi:10.18160/GCP-2019
Source data in megatonnes of carbon (MtC), converted in MtCO2e using the suggested multiplication factor of 3.664