Kayamkulam Kochunni (2018 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Rosshan Andrrews|
|Produced by||Gokulam Gopalan|
|Written by||Bobby & Sanjay|
|Music by||Gopi Sundar|
|Edited by||A. Sreekar Prasad|
Sree Gokulam Movies
|Distributed by||Gokulam Movies Release|
Kayamkulam Kochunni is an upcoming Indian Malayalam-language epic period film directed by Rosshan Andrrews and written by Bobby & Sanjay. It is based on the life of Kayamkulam Kochunni, a famed highwayman who robbed from the rich and gave to the poor during the British Raj in the early 19th century Central Travancore. The film stars Nivin Pauly in the title role; Mohanlal makes a cameo appearance as highwayman Ithikkara Pakki.
- Nivin Pauly as Kayamkulam Kochunni
- Priya Anand as Janaki
- Priyanka Thimmesh as Suhra
- Sunny Wayne as Keshavan
- Babu Antony as Thangal, Kochunni's mentor
- Manikandan R. Achari
- Thesni Khan
- Shine Tom Chacko as Kochu Pillai
- Jude Anthany Joseph
- Sudev Nair
- Sunil Sukhada
- Sudheer Karamana
- M. S. Bhaskar
- Edavela Babu
- Ashwini Chandrashekhar
By late August 2016, Rosshan Andrrews confirmed via media outlets that he would be directing a film based on the life of Kerala's heroic outlaw Kayamkulam Kochunni, written by his regular collaborators Bobby & Sanjay and Nivin Pauly would enact the role. The film was to be produced by Gokulam Gopalan through Sree Gokulam Movies. This is the second film based on Kayamkulam Kochunni after the 1966 film of the same name directed by P. A. Thomas. Kochunni was a real-life thief who lived in the 19th century in Central Travancore region. He is said to have stole from the rich and gave to the poor like Robin Hood. The screenplay was written after a two-and-a-half years research by an eight-member team. The script was rehashed three times. According to Andrrews, the film would feature Kochunni's life before and after his transition as a thief, his survival attempts, romance, and the social structure during his time. It would also discuss several unanswered questions in Kochunni's story. Kayamkulam Kochunni holds the subtitle "most dangerous man". Since the appearance of present-day Kayamkulam, Alappuzha district has changed from the time of Kochunni, a Sri Lankan village was planned to be set as Kayamkulam in the film. It was said that the filming would commence by the beginning of 2017 in Sri Lanka, a few scenes to be also shot in Kayamkulam. Andrrews also revealed that they have plans to dub the film and release in Tamil language. P. M. Satheesh was signed as the sound designer. Initially they had talks with Santhosh Narayanan to compose the music for the film.
Kayamkulam Kochunni is a period film set in the 1850s and 1860s in what is present-day Kerala. Bobby and Sanjay collected large amount of information beyond what was already known through Kottarathil Sankunni's Aithihyamala and hearsay. Sanjay said that the film focuses on Kochunni's relationships and friendships. Kochunni was a socialist thief, he fought against "unbelievable cruelty" over the caste system that prevailed during his time. The team went on location scouting in Sri Lanka in June 2017. In August, it was reported that the filming would begin on 10 September. Nivin started learning horse riding and Kalaripayattu in August, he had begun learning the basics earlier in the year. He also gained weight for the role. The script demanded the actors to be trained in Kalaripayattu. Apart from Nivin, actors Babu Antony and Sunny Wayne also underwent training. The training sessions were held at Andrrew's martial arts school in Kochi and went through September 2017. During pre-production, Andrrews created miniatures for every set to be used in the film. In early September, Nivin confirmed that the filming would commence in Udupi in a fortnight.
The film traverse through multiple timelines in Kochunni's life. Nivin was selected for the role since Andrrews felt that he has a flexible body language that suits any role, among his generation of actors. According to Sanjay, Nivin's features matches Sankunni's descriptions of Kochunni in Aithihyamala. Andrrews briefed the film's story to Nivin along with the story of another film he plans to follow up after Kayamkulam Kochunni, to both Nivin agreed. In July 2017, a casting call was released for both male and female aged between 5–40. Amala Paul and Priyanka Thimmesh was confirmed before August 2017. Amala's character was said to be an important figure in Kochunni's life; Priyanka plays the role of Suhra, his wife. Babu Antony confirmed his role in September 2017 as Ithingal Thangal, the mentor of Kochunni.
In late 2017, Amala opted out from the film due to scheduling conflicts, who was replaced by Priya Anand. Andrrews said the rain effected their schedule and had to make changes, which conflicted with Amala's dates who had commitments in Tamil films. Priya cancelled three films for Kayamkulam Kochunni; she plays Janaki. According to Priya, Janaki's story is relevant to every woman. Wayne plays the character named Keshavan, who is well trained in Kalaripayattu. In early January 2018, Nivin and Andrrews announced that Mohanlal would appear in the film in the role of Ithikkara Pakki, a robber contemporary to Kochunni. In a February 2018 interview, Sanjay revealed that Mohanlal has 40 minutes screen time who appears at a particular juncture in the story, "We wished for someone of his stature to play this character. Pakki is Kochunni's contemporary and predecessor. It's Pakki who started the unique style of robbing and that’s what Kochunni continued with". In March 2018, Nora Fatehi was confirmed to be appearing in a song sequence in the film, which also features Nivin. Choreographed by Vishnu Deva, it was shot in Goa in that month.
Principal photography commenced on 30 September 2017 in Udupi, Karnataka. In the first schedule the team filmed in locations such as Mangalore, Manjeshwar, and Udupi for two months. It was reported that the filming would move to Sri Lanka for the following schedule. Nivin trained in Kalaripayattu every morning before shoot under trainers from Kerala. He had a shot crop haircut and wears a handlebar moustache for the character of Kochunni. Filming held in Kasaragod and Mangalore during November and December 2017. Large sets were created for the film. Binod Pradhan was the cinematographer. Mohanlal joined the sets in Mangalore on 13 February 2018 and began filming from the following day with the combination scenes between Ithikkara Pakki and Kochunni. The 161 days long filming was wrapped in Sri Lanka on 1 June 2018.
- നായർ, അനീഷ് (26 August 2016). "നിവിൻ ഇനി കായംകുളം കൊച്ചുണ്ണി". Malayala Manorama (in Malayalam). Retrieved 15 January 2018.
- Kuttoor, Radhakrishnan (18 December 2015). "Legendary thief now a deity at Kerala temple". The Hindu. Retrieved 18 January 2018.
- Sundar, Mrinalini (21 December 2017). "I had a fight with the horse the other day: Nivin". The Times of India. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- Sidhardhan, Sanjith (8 August 2017). "Nivin's Kayamkulam Kochunni will showcase his battles against caste system". The Times of India. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- Sidhardhan, Sanjith (24 June 2017). "Nivin Pauly's Kayamkulam Kochunni team heads for recce in Sri Lanka". The Times of India. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- Sidhardhan, Sanjith (23 August 2017). "Nivin Pauly to train in horse riding for Kayamkulam Kochunni". The Times of India. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- Sidhardhan, Sanjith (6 September 2017). "Nivin Pauly reveals how Kayamkulam Kochunni team is gearing up for the biggest movie in his career". The Times of India. Retrieved 27 November 2017.
- Pauly, Nivin (27 July 2017). "Casting Call". Facebook. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- Soman, Deepa (18 September 2017). "Babu Antony plays Thangal in 'Kayamkulam Kochunni'... Who is he?". The Times of India. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- Soman, Deepa (7 December 2017). "I cancelled three of my projects to be part of Kayamkulam Kochunni: Priya Anand". The Times of India. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- Onmanorama staff (9 January 2018). "Mohanlal joins Nivin Pauly's 'Kayamkulam Kochunni,' Rosshan reveals role". Malayala Manorama. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- Soman, Deepa (14 February 2018). "Mohanlal joins the sets of Kayamkulam Kochunni". The Times of India. Retrieved 15 February 2018.
- Soman, Deepa (20 March 2018). "Nora Fatehi sizzles in a dance number in 'Kayamkulam Kochunni'". The Times of India. Retrieved 22 March 2018.
- Pauly, Nivin (30 September 2017). "#KayamkulamKochunni starts rolling!". Twitter. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- Acharya, Sandeep (7 December 2017). "Kayamkulam Kochunni: Amala Paul opts out, Priya Anand comes on board". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- "Nivin Pauly learns Kalaripayattu for Kayamkulam Kochunni". Hindustan Times. Indo-Asian News Service. 10 October 2017. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- "Photos: Nivin Pauly thanks Suriya, Jyothika for visiting the sets of his Kayamkulam Kochunni". The Indian Express. 27 November 2017. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- "Mohanlal starts shooting for 'Kayamkulam Kochunni'". Mathrubhumi. 14 February 2018. Retrieved 14 February 2018.
- "Nivin completes 'Kayamkulam Kochunni'". Sify. 2 June 2018. Retrieved 2 June 2018.
- Kumar R., Manoj (2 June 2018). "Nivin Pauly wraps up Kayamkulam Kochunni". The Indian Express. Retrieved 2 June 2018.