Kayamkulam Kochunni is a 1966 Indian Malayalam-language period drama film written, produced and directed by P. A. Thomas. Dialogues were written by Jagathy N. K. Achary. It is based on the life of the 19th century thief Kayamkulam Kochunni, who is known for stealing from rich and giving to poor. The film stars Sathyan, Adoor Bhasi and Manavalan Joseph and K. J. Yesudas. The soundtrack was composed by B. A. Chidambaranath.
|Directed by||P. A. Thomas|
|Written by||P. A. Thomas|
|Produced by||P. A. Thomas|
K. J. Yesudas
|Cinematography||P. B. Maniam|
|Edited by||T. R. Sreenivasalu|
|Music by||B. A. Chidambaranath|
Kayamkulam Kochunni released on 29 July 1966 was a commercial success at the box office. Its sequel, Kaayamkulam Kochunniyude Makan, was released in 1976.
- Sathyan as Kayamkulam Kochunni
- Adoor Bhasi as Ochira Pachu Pillai
- Manavalan Joseph as Thommichan
- K. J. Yesudas as Khader, A Suruma seller
- Muthukulam Raghavan Pillai as Achuthan Nair
- T. R. Omana as Achuthan Nair's wife
- K. P. Ummer as Diwan
- Kaduvakulam Antony as Bava
- Kamaladevi as Ayisha
- Thikkurissy Sukumaran Nair as Kunjunni Panikkar
- Ushakumari as Nabeesa
- Sukumari as Vazhapilli Janaki Pillai
- Paul Vengola as Kuttan Moosu Thirumeni
- Prathapachandran as Kallada Kochu Naanu
It was the first Malayalam film about the famed highwayman Kayamkulam Kochunni, a Kerala equivalent of Robin Hood. P. A. Thomas who scripted and directed the film produced it under the production banner, Thomas Pictures. The dialogues were written by Jagathy N. K. Achary. The film marks the acting debut of singer Yesudas, who played a pivotal role. The film was shot at the Shyamala Studios in Chennai.
The music was composed by B. A. Chidambaranath and the lyrics were written by P. Bhaskaran and Abhayadev.
|1||"Aattuvanchi"||K. J. Yesudas||P. Bhaskaran|
|2||"Kaarthikavilakku Kandu"||B. Vasantha||P. Bhaskaran|
|3||"Kunkumappoovukal Poothu"||K. J. Yesudas, S. Janaki||P. Bhaskaran|
|4||"Padachavan Padachappol"||Kamukara||P. Bhaskaran|
|5||"Padachonte Kiripakondu"||B. Vasantha||Abhayadev|
|6||"Suruma Nalla Suruma"||K. J. Yesudas||P. Bhaskaran|
|7||"Viravaalan Kuruvi"||S. Janaki||P. Bhaskaran|
The film was a commercial success at the Kerala box office.
- ^ "കായംകുളം കൊച്ചുണ്ണി (1966)". malayalasangeetham.info (in Malayalam). Archived from the original on 30 August 2022. Retrieved 11 October 2014.
- ^ "Best Sequels of Malayalam Cinema, Ranked: From Kireedam To Oru CBI Diary Kurippu". Film Companion. 17 February 2021. Archived from the original on 13 September 2022. Retrieved 13 September 2022.
- ^ a b Vijayakumar, B. (29 May 2017). "Kayamkulam Kochunni: 1966". The Hindu. Archived from the original on 13 September 2022. Retrieved 7 January 2018.