Kathryn Chandria Manuel Bernardo (born March 26, 1996) is a Filipino actress, model and recording artist. Bernardo has been labelled as Philippine showbiz's "Teen Queen","Queen of Hearts" and "Phenomenal Box Office Queen".  She became known for her role as Mara in the hit TV series Mara Clara (2010–2011). She has since starred in TV series' Princess and I (2012–2013), Got to Believe (2013–2014), Pangako Sa 'Yo (2015–2016) and La Luna Sangre (2017–2018). She has also starred in different films such as Way Back Home (2011), Must Be... Love (2013), She's Dating the Gangster (2014), Crazy Beautiful You (2015), Barcelona: A Love Untold (2016), Can't Help Falling in Love (2017), The Hows of Us (2018), Three Words to Forever (2018), and Hello, Love, Goodbye (2019)
Bernardo presenting one of the awards at the 2013 Candy Style Awards.
Kathryn Chandria Manuel Bernardo
March 26, 1996
|Other names||Kath, Kathryn|
|Occupation||Actress, model, Endorser,  recording artist|
|Agent||Star Magic (2003 –present)|
|Height||5 ft 2 in (157 cm) |
|Labels||Star Music (2014–present)|
Bernardo began acting in 2003, appearing as the young Cielo on ABS-CBN's It Might Be You. In 2006, she landed her first main role in the TV series Super Inggo playing Maya, the love interest of the main character. She then continued to play different roles in other ABS-CBN shows such as Krystala and Vietnam Rose before landing a permanent spot on the hit kiddie show Goin' Bulilit'.
Bernardo's breakthrough role was her as Mara David/Mara Del Valle in the remake of 1992 television drama Mara Clara with her co-star and off-screen best friend Julia Montes. Since its premiere, the TV series remained a consistent leader in primetime ratings. Affirming its success, the show was nominated in the 2011 Banff World Media Festival's "Telenovelas & Soap Operas" category and marked Bernardo's future as a distinguished actress.
After the primetime teleserye ended, Bernardo soon began appearing in the Sunday afternoon teen show Growing Up. Re-partnering with Julia Montes, the show starred other up and coming ABS-CBN teen stars such as Kiray Celis, Diego Loyzaga and Daniel Padilla. On the show, Bernardo played the role of 15-year-old Ella who lives with her single mother. The show premiered strongly, ranking at number 2 overall on the afternoon block of primetime television.
Bernardo's film career started in 2004 with the movie Gagamboy. However, it was only in 2011 when she, together with her Mara Clara co-star Julia Montes, received a lead role in the movie Way Back Home. The film opened at first place with an estimated PHP 18 million (US$428,571) in its first week that then surpassed other foreign film showings at the time, such as The Smurfs and Conan the Barbarian according to Box Office Mojo.
In that same year, Bernardo was included in Regal Film's Metro Manila Film Festival entry Shake, Rattle & Roll 13. Bernardo took on the horror genre by snagging one of the lead roles of the film's second story called Parola. Her performance received positive reviews. In a review for ClickTheCity.com, Philbert Dy praised Bernardo's acting: "A fantastic performance from Kathryn Bernardo ties it all together. It might just be one of the best things that has ever come out of Shake Rattle and Roll."
Breakthrough and acting collaboration with Daniel PadillaEdit
Bernardo starred in Princess and I, a romance/drama royalty-themed television series, following the success of Growing Up. With a cast flanked by Daniel Padilla as Gino Dela Rosa, Enrique Gil as Prince Jao and Bernardo as Mikay/Princess Areeyah, the teleserye is touted as one of the grandest, being the first Philippine show to be shot in Bhutan. Aside from Padilla and Gil as Bernardo's leading men on the show, Pilipinas Got Talent Season 3 former contestant Khalil Ramos played Mikay's unrequited lover and best friend Kiko. Other veteran actors like Gretchen Barretto and Albert Martinez joined the star-studded cast.
The show garnered unprecedented ratings and appraisal as the number one primetime show in September 2012, opening more doors for Bernardo's shining career. In August 2013, she and Daniel Padilla announcing another television series: Got to Believe in which Bernardo plays Chichay Tampipi, a teenage girl who reunites with her childhood friend Joaquin Manansala (Padilla) after many years; Chichay falls for the rich boy despite their economic differences and family pasts, encountering difficult obstacles that put their love to the test. Got to Believe was also a primetime television hit, gathering 38.6% percent in ratings during the broadcast of the show's final episode and placing at No. 2 on Kantar Media's nationwide TV ranking list.
Together with Padilla, they both starred in a Filipino romantic-comedy movie entitled 24/7 in Love that was released on November 21, 2012. She then starred alongside comedian Vice Ganda together with Daniel Padilla in the 2012 MMFF entry, Sisterakas; in the 1st quarter of 2013, Bernardo, with co-star Daniel Padilla, released her first solo project film from Star Cinema entitled Must Be... Love that was broadcast on March 13.
In December 2013, Bernardo and Padilla starred in the film (an entry for 2013 Metro Manila Film Festival) Pagpag (produced by Star Cinema and Regal Films) which was broadcast on Christmas Day.
Bernardo and Padilla once again headlined a movie adaptation of Bianca Bernardino's best-selling novel named She's Dating the Gangster as part of Star Cinema's 20th anniversary in July 2014. The movie was produced by Star Cinema, co-produced by Summit Media and directed by Cathy Garcia-Molina. This is the 5th movie in which Kathryn and Padilla are paired on the big screen after the success of their romantic comedy television series Got to Believe (which was also directed by Garcia-Molina). According to Star Cinema Advertising Manager Mico del Rosario the film was a financial success, gathering PHP 15 million (US$340,000) on its first day of showing. On its 4th week (August 3, 2014), the movie reportedly grossed PHP 230 million (US$5,476,190). A year after her recognition from FHM UK, Bernardo was ranked 17 behind former Japanese AV Idol Maria Ozawa for the FHM Philippines 100 Sexiest Woman 2015, which won by Jennylyn Mercado.
On December 1, 2014 Bernardo with Daniel Padilla and Vice Ganda were given their own stars in the country's version of the Hollywood Walk of Fame, the Eastwood Walk of Fame, located at Eastwood City, Quezon City.
Bernardo has been involved in singing ventures such as her guest appearances for Daniel Padilla's concert "DOS" and her participation in the soundtrack albums of her primetime television shows.
Bernardo recorded her first solo "Mula Noon Hanggang Ngayon" as part of the soundtrack for Princess and I in 2012 and was originally sung by Lea Salonga. In 2013, she recorded a cover of David Pomeranz's "Got to Believe in Magic" with Padilla for their primetime television Got 2 Believe.
In 2014, she began to venture into music by recording various original songs and releasing her first studio album titled Kathryn. A duet with Padilla titled was used as the theme song for ABS-CBN's Summer Station. Bernardo also released her first solo original song titled "Ikaw Na Nga Yata", which was used in the local airing of the Korean series Pretty Man. On November 6, she released the lead single to her debut album titled "You Don't Know Me" which was written by Marion Aunor and is about a blooming relationship that fails to take off because of the lack of effort of one of those involved to genuinely get to know the other. The album was released on November 30 under Star Music, consisting of eleven songs in total.
Bernardo cites American pop stars Taylor Swift and Ariana Grande as her musical inspirations; she further said she considers local pop sensation Sarah Geronimo and singer Yeng Constantino her idols.
|2012||"Mula Noon Hanggang Ngayon"|
|2013||"Pagdating ng Panahon"|||
|"Got to Believe in Magic"|
(with Daniel Padilla)
|2014||"Ikaw Na Nga Yata"|||
(with Daniel Padilla)
|"You Don't Know Me"||
|2015||"Thank You for the Love"
(with Daniel Padilla, Nadine Lustre, James Reid, Enrique Gil,
Liza Soberano, Bamboo Mañalac and Elha Nympha)
|2017||"Share The Love"
(with Daniel Padilla, Janella Salvador and Elmo Magalona)
|2003||Lupe: A Seamans Wife||Young Lupe|
|2005||Nasaan Ka Man||Young Pilar|
|2006||Tatlong Baraha||Inah Valiente|||
|2011||Way Back Home||Joanna Santiago / Ana Bartolome|
|Shake, Rattle & Roll 13||Lucy||Part 2: Parola|
|2012||24/7 in Love||Jane Dela Cuesta|
|Sisterakas||Katherine "Kathy" Maningas|
|2013||Must Be... Love||Patricia "Patchot" Espinosa|||
|Pagpag: Siyam na Buhay||Leni dela Torre|||
|2014||She's Dating the Gangster||Athena Dizon / Kelay Dizon|||
|2015||Crazy Beautiful You||Jacqueline "Jackie" Serrano|||
|2016||Barcelona: A Love Untold||Mia Angela Dela Torre / Celine Antipala|||
|2017||Can't Help Falling in Love||Gabriela "Gab" Benedictos Dela Cuesta|||
|Gandarrapiddo: The Revenger Squad||Herself||Cameo appearance (as Chino's love interest)|||
|2018||The Hows of Us||Georgina "George" Silva|
|Three Words to Forever||Tin Andrada|||
|2019||Hello, Love, Goodbye||Joy Fabregas|
|2003||It Might Be You||Young Cielo San Carlos|||
|2005||Vietnam Rose||Young Carina Mojica dela Cerna|||
|2006||Gulong ng Palad||Young Mimi Sandoval|
|Komiks Presents: Agua Bendita||Young Agua Cristi / Bendita Cristi|||
|Komiks Presents: Bandanang Itim||Juliana|
|Super Inggo||Maya Guevarra|||
|2007||Pangarap na Bituin||Young Chorva Ayala Gomez|
|Prinsesa ng Banyera||Young Mayumi Burgos|
|2008||Maalaala Mo Kaya: Bracelet||Zorayda|
|2009||Your Song Presents: You Know It's Christmas||Stephanie|
|Maalaala Mo Kaya: Blusa||Nympha|
|Super Inggo at ang Super Tropa||Maya Guevarra||voice only|
|2010||Endless Love||Young Jenny Dizon / Jenny Cruz||First GMA appearance|
|Magkaribal||Young Victoria / Anna|||
|Mara Clara||Mara David / Mara del Valle||Remake|||
|2011||Wansapanataym: Apir Disapir||Jenny||Season 2, Episode 42|
|Growing Up||Mikaella "Ella" Dimalanta / Cassandra|
|2012||Maalaala Mo Kaya: Ensaymada||Dang||Season 20, Episode 5|||
|Princess and I||Maria Mikaela "Mikay" Dela Rosa
/ Princess Areeyah Rinpoche
|2013||Got to Believe||Cristina Carlotta "Chichay" Tampipi|||
|2014||Be Careful with My Heart||Young Felicidad||Guest star|||
|Wansapanataym: Puppy ko si Papi||Iris||Season 5, Episode 225|||
|2015||Maalaala Mo Kaya: Parol||Daisy Ravelo||Season 21, Episode 204|||
|Pangako Sa ’Yo||Yna Macaspac /
Maria Amor de Jesus
|2017||La Luna Sangre||Malia Rodriguez/ Emilio "Mio"/ Toni/ Punong Bantay||Is the third installment
after Lobo & Imortal.
- "Press Release: Smell Like a Star". Bench. September 2, 2011. Archived from the original on June 26, 2015. Retrieved March 30, 2015.
- "'Princess and I' Stars Release "Love Songs from Princess and I" Album". showbiznest.com. June 16, 2012. Archived from the original on January 19, 2013. Retrieved July 18, 2012.
- "Kathryn Bernardo". Star Magic. 2017. Archived from the original on May 24, 2017. Retrieved April 27, 2019.
- "Featured Actress : Kathryn Bernardo". GEOtayo Philippines. Geotayo Philippines. 2009. Archived from the original on April 16, 2012. Retrieved April 15, 2012.
- Quintos, Napoleon (May 11, 2011). "Kathryn Bernardo feels pressured about her launching movie with Star Cinema". Push. Archived from the original on June 9, 2012.
- Almo, Nerisa (August 4, 2011). "Enrique Gil thankful to have been chosen as a replacement in Way Back Home". Philippe Entertainment Portal. Archived from the original on September 27, 2013.
- "Kathryn Bernardo on going back to school: 'Nagiging normal college girl ako'". Archived from the original on September 24, 2014.
- "Kathryn, Daniel now 'exclusively dating'". Archived from the original on August 9, 2014.
- "Kathryn Bernardo on relationship with Daniel Padilla: 'Hindi official pero very special.'". Archived from the original on August 12, 2014.
- Santiago, Erwin (June 25, 2010). "Endless Love stars Kristoffer Martin and Kathryn Bernardo: The next Joshua Dionisio and Barbie Forteza?". Pep. Archived from the original on October 4, 2013. Retrieved September 22, 2012.
- Villagomez, Kaye (April 24, 2011). "'Mara Clara' scores int'l award body's nod". Manila Bulletin. Archived from the original on May 20, 2011. Retrieved October 7, 2012.
- Montealegre, Lyn Luna (September 1, 2011). "Diego Loyzaga, Julia Montes, Kathryn Bernardo and Daniel Padilla reveal their growing-up insecurities". Pep.ph. Archived from the original on November 4, 2013. Retrieved October 8, 2012.
- Santiago, Erwin (September 6, 2011). "Kantar Media-TNS National Household Ratings (Sept. 2–5): Kapamilya shows rule primetime race; 100 Days To Heaven leads ABS-CBN campaign". Pep.ph. Archived from the original on November 4, 2013. Retrieved October 8, 2012.
- Sancon, Allan (August 4, 2012). "Kathryn Bernardo and Julia Montes tagged as 'future superstars'". Pep. Archived from the original on November 4, 2013. Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- Way Back Home first week gross Archived October 23, 2012, at the Wayback Machine retrieved October 7, 2012
- Mendoza, Abby (December 5, 2011). "Kathryn Bernardo shifts from drama to horror in Shake Rattle and Roll 13". Pep.ph. Archived from the original on November 4, 2013. Retrieved October 7, 2012.
- Dy, Philbert. "A Worthy Anthology". Movie Review for Shake Rattle And Roll XIII. Clickthecity.com. Retrieved October 7, 2012.
- Santos, Rhea Manila (March 22, 2012). "Kathryn Bernardo shares her experience shooting 'The Princess and I' in Bhutan". Push. Archived from the original on April 6, 2012.
- Montealegre, Lyn Luna (April 9, 2012). "Daniel Padilla opens up about his feelings for Kathryn Bernardo". Pep. Archived from the original on November 4, 2013. Retrieved September 22, 2012.
- Franco, Bernie (September 23, 2012). "Gretchen Barretto's advice to Kathryn Bernardo: 'Nagkamali ako in the past, wag n'yong gagayahin'". Archived from the original on September 28, 2012. Retrieved October 7, 2012.
- Almo, Nerisa (August 12, 2012). "Daniel Padilla and Kathryn Bernardo will join Vice Ganda and Kris Aquino in Sisteraka". Pep. Archived from the original on November 4, 2013. Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- "Daniel Padilla and Kathryn Bernardo in Star Cinema's "Must Be Love"". Archived from the original on February 25, 2013. Retrieved February 23, 2013.
- "Daniel Padilla, Kathryn Bernardo "Must Be… Love"". Retrieved February 27, 2013.[permanent dead link]
- "Pagpag Starring Kathryn Bernardo and Daniel Padilla". Archived from the original on June 16, 2013.
- "Mother Lily pahinga na sa Shake… pero may sosyo sa Pagpag". Archived from the original on July 16, 2013.
- "She's Dating the Gangster earns 260 million in 4 weeks". Rod Magaru Show. August 5, 2014. Archived from the original on August 10, 2014. Retrieved August 5, 2014.
- "She's Dating the Gangster (2014)". Box Office Mojo. Archived from the original on July 26, 2014. Retrieved August 5, 2014.
- Umbao, Ed (December 2, 2014). "Daniel, Kathryn & Vice Ganda Newest Stars on the Eastwood Walk of Fame" Archived April 22, 2017, at the Wayback Machine. Pilpippines News. Retrieved January 17, 2017
- ABS-CBN officially launched its 2014 summer station ID on Sunday, 30 March 2014 Archived March 30, 2014, at the Wayback Machine. ABS-CBN News. Retrieved March 30, 2014.
- "Kathryn Bernardo ventures into music". ABS-CBN News and Current Affairs. August 21, 2014. Archived from the original on January 10, 2015. Retrieved August 23, 2015.
- "LISTEN: Kathryn's new song 'You Don't Know Me'". ABS-CBN News. October 6, 2014. Archived from the original on January 11, 2015. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- #SNAPSHOTS: Kathryn Bernardo talks about her upcoming music videos Archived February 21, 2018, at the Wayback Machine. Star Cinema. Retrieved November 21, 2014.
- Teen Queen Kathryn Bernardo is now dominating the recording industry Archived February 21, 2018, at the Wayback Machine. Star Cinema. Retrieved December 1, 2014.
- "Kathryn Bernardo, Daniel Padilla open up about 5-year relationship". Rappler.com. August 28, 2018.
- Kathryn's album reaches platinum Archived March 12, 2017, at the Wayback Machine, ABS-CBN News, March 24, 2015
- Got to Believe Official Soundtrack Album Archived December 30, 2014, at the Wayback Machine on iTunes.
- ABS-CBN Summer Station ID 2014 Recording Sessions Archived October 6, 2014, at the Wayback Machine. ABS-CBN Entertainment. Retrieved March 25, 2014.
- ABS-CBN Christmas Station ID 2015 "Thank You For The Love" Recording Music Video Archived June 29, 2016, at the Wayback Machine. ABS-CBN Entertainment. Published on November 3, 2015.
- WATCH: KATHNIEL & ELNELLA 'Share The Love' In New Music Video Archived June 5, 2017, at the Wayback Machine. Myx Philippines. Published on May 24, 2017.
- ABS-CBN Summer Station ID 2010 Summer Ang Simula Archived June 22, 2014, at the Wayback Machine. ABS-CBN Entertainment. Retrieved March 21, 2010.
- ABS-CBN releases Ulan Station ID 2012 Archived February 19, 2014, at the Wayback Machine. ABS-CBN Entertainment. Retrieved July 9, 2012.
- Nasa Iyo Na Ang Lahat by Daniel Padilla (Official MV) Archived November 5, 2014, at the Wayback Machine. ABS-CBN Star Music. Retrieved February 4, 2013.
- DANIEL PADILLA – Simpleng Tulad Mo (Official MV) Archived October 1, 2014, at the Wayback Machine. ABS-CBN Star Music. Retrieved August 29, 2014.
- "Kathryn Bernardo as part of the cast of Baraha (2006 film)". IMDb. Archived from the original on November 5, 2006. Retrieved December 1, 2012.
- Tatlong Baraha of Violett Films brought home three awards, namely Best Visual Effects, Best Festival Float and Best Make Up Archived December 22, 2014, at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved November 13, 2010.
- Supahpapalicious Cast on IMDB Archived April 21, 2015, at the Wayback Machine.
- Must Be... Love Official Page on Star Cinema Archived November 7, 2014, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Pagpag". Star Cinema. Archived from the original on October 1, 2015. Retrieved September 11, 2015.
- "She's Dating The Gangster". Star Cinema. Archived from the original on October 1, 2015. Retrieved September 11, 2015.
- Crazy Beautiful You Official Page on Star Cinema Archived February 17, 2015, at the Wayback Machine.
- "New KathNiel movie gets title". ABS-CBN. July 26, 2016. Archived from the original on July 29, 2016. Retrieved August 1, 2016.
- "Kathniel Official Website". Archived from the original on April 12, 2017.
- Cagape, Kristhoff (December 10, 2017). "Daniel Padilla answers: Will Kathryn Bernardo be in 'Gandarrapiddo: The Revengers Squad'?". Philippine Ultimate Showbiz Hub. Archived from the original on December 28, 2017. Retrieved December 28, 2017.
- VIDEO: Kathryn Bernardo: The Teen Queen of Drama Archived November 7, 2014, at the Wayback Machine. ABS-CBN.com. Retrieved April 4, 2014.
- Kathryn Bernardo graduates from "the young" roles; she plays Mara, the part which gave Judy Ann Santos her biggest break Archived October 26, 2014, at the Wayback Machine. Pep.ph. Retrieved January 26, 2011.
- List of Komiks episodes
- Where on earth is Super Inggo's Maya? Archived December 28, 2014, at the Wayback Machine ABS-CBN News. Retrieved April 10, 2010.
- List of Maalaala Mo Kaya episodes#Season 20
- Kathryn Bernardo brings life to a young girl who discovers that she is a princess who has been separated from her royal family Archived October 26, 2014, at the Wayback Machine. Pep.ph. Retrieved April 3, 2012.
- What happened to Kathryn and Daniel's 'Got to Believe'? Archived December 28, 2014, at the Wayback Machine ABS-CBN News. Retrieved July 22, 2013.
- SILIPIN: KathNiel sa 'Be Careful with My Heart' Archived September 17, 2014, at the Wayback Machine. ABS-CBN News. Retrieved September 14, 2014.
- List of Wansapanataym episodes
- Kathryn Bernardo I MMK 3 January 2015 Teaser Archived September 8, 2015, at the Wayback Machine. ABS-CBN Entertainment. Retrieved December 27, 2014.
- Pangako Sa'yo 2015 Remake Teaser Archived January 2, 2015, at the Wayback Machine. ABS-CBN Entertainment. Retrieved December 2, 2014.
- Mga bagong programa ng ABS-CBN, ipinasilip sa Kapamilya Trade Event Archived December 4, 2014, at the Wayback Machine. ABS-CBN News. Retrieved December 3, 2014.
- DANIEL PADILLA, KATHRYN BERNARDO Team Up In “La Luna Sangre” This 2017! Archived January 31, 2017, at the Wayback Machine myxph.com. Retrieved November 24, 2016.
- "THIS JUST IN: Kathryn Bernardo and Daniel Padilla to topbill 2017 fantaserye "La Luna Sangre" – third installment after "Lobo" & "Imortal"". twitter.com/mjfelipe. Twitter. November 22, 2016. Archived from the original on February 21, 2018. Retrieved November 22, 2016.