This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (January 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
ICICI Bank Limited (Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India) is an Indian multinational banking and financial services company headquartered in Mumbai, Maharashtra with its registered office in Vadodara, Gujarat. As of 2018[update], ICICI Bank is the second largest bank in India in terms of assets and market capitalisation. It offers a wide range of banking products and financial services for corporate and retail customers through a variety of delivery channels and specialised subsidiaries in the areas of investment banking, life, non-life insurance, venture capital and asset management. The bank currently has a network of 4867 branches and 14367 ATMs across India and has a presence in 17 countries including India.
|Industry||Banking, Financial services|
|Founded||05 January 1994|
|Headquarters||ICICI Bank Towers, Bandra Kurla complex, Mumbai, India|
|Products||Retail banking, corporate banking, investment banking, mortgage loans, private banking, wealth management, credit cards, finance and insurance|
|Revenue||₹72,385.52 crore (US$10 billion) (2018)|
|₹24,741.53 crore (US$3.6 billion) (2018)|
|₹6,777.42 crore (US$980 million) (2018)|
|Total assets||₹879,189.16 crore (US$130 billion) (2018)|
Number of employees
ICICI Bank is one of the Big Four banks of India. The bank has subsidiaries in the United Kingdom and Canada; branches in United States, Singapore, Bahrain, Hong Kong, Sri Lanka, Qatar, Oman, Dubai International Finance Centre, China and South Africa;  and representative offices in United Arab Emirates, Bangladesh, Malaysia and Indonesia. The company's UK subsidiary has also established branches in Belgium and Germany.
ICICI Bank was established by the Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India (ICICI), an Indian financial institution, as a wholly owned subsidiary in 1994. The parent company was formed in 1955 as a joint-venture of the World Bank, India's public-sector banks and public-sector insurance companies to provide project financing to Indian industry. The bank was founded as the Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India Bank, before it changed its name to the abbreviated ICICI Bank. The parent company was later merged with the bank.
ICICI Bank launched internet banking operations in 1998.
ICICI's shareholding in ICICI Bank was reduced to 46 percent, through a public offering of shares in India in 1998, followed by an equity offering in the form of American Depositary Receipts on the NYSE in 2000. ICICI Bank acquired the Bank of Madura Limited in an all-stock deal in 2001 and sold additional stakes to institutional investors during 2001-02.
In the 1990s, ICICI transformed its business from a development financial institution offering only project finance to a diversified financial services group, offering a wide variety of products and services, both directly and through a number of subsidiaries and affiliates like ICICI Bank. In 1999, ICICI become the first Indian company and the first bank or financial institution from non-Japan Asia to be listed on the NYSE.
In October 2001, the Boards of Directors of ICICI and ICICI Bank approved the merger of ICICI and two of its wholly owned retail finance subsidiaries, ICICI Personal Financial Services Limited and ICICI Capital Services Limited, with ICICI Bank. The merger was approved by shareholders of ICICI and ICICI Bank in January 2002, by the High Court of Gujarat at Ahmedabad in March 2002 and by the High Court of Judicature at Mumbai and the Reserve Bank of India in April 2002.
In 2008, following the 2008 financial crisis, customers rushed to ICICI ATMs and branches in some locations due to rumours of an adverse financial position of ICICI Bank. The Reserve Bank of India issued a clarification on the financial strength of ICICI Bank to dispel the rumours.
- 1996: ICICI Ltd. A diversified financial institution with headquarters in Mumbai
- 1997: ITC Classic Finance. incorporated in 1986, ITC Classic was a non-bank financial firm that engaged in hire, purchase, and leasing operations. At the time of being acquired, ITC Classic had eight offices, 26 outlets, and 700 brokers.
- 1997: SCICI (Shipping Credit and Investment Corporation of India) 
- 1998: Anagram(ENAGRAM) Finance. Anagram had built up a network of some 50 branches in Gujarat, Rajasthan, and Maharashtra that were primarily engaged in retail financing of cars and trucks. It also had some 250,000 depositors.
- 2001: Bank of Madurai
- 2002: The Darjeeling and Shimla branches of Grindlays Bank
- 2005: Investitsionno-Kreditny Bank (IKB), a Russian bank 
- 2007: Sangli Bank. Sangli Bank was a private sector unlisted bank, founded in 1916, and 30% owned by the Bahte family. Its headquarters were in Sangli in Maharashtra, and it had 198 branches. It had 158 in Maharashtra and 31 in Karnataka, and others in Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Goa, and Delhi. Its branches were relatively evenly split between metropolitan areas and rural or semi-urban areas.
- 2010: The Bank of Rajasthan (BOR) was acquired by the ICICI Bank in 2010 for ₹ 30 billion. RBI was critical of BOR's promoters not reducing their holdings in the company. BOR has since been merged with ICICI Bank.
Role in Indian financial infrastructureEdit
The bank has contributed to the set-up of a number of Indian institutions to establish financial infrastructure in the country over the years:
- The National Stock Exchange was promoted by India's leading financial institutions (including ICICI Ltd.) in 1992 on behalf of the Government of India with the objective of establishing a nationwide trading facility for equities, debt instruments and hybrids, by ensuring equal access to investors all over the country through an appropriate communication network.
- In 1987, ICICI Ltd along with UTI set up CRISIL as India's first professional credit rating agency.
- NCDEX was set up in 2003, by ICICI Bank Ltd, LIC, NABARD, NSE, Canara Bank, CRISIL, Goldman Sachs, Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative Limited (IFFCO) and Punjab National Bank.
- ICICI Bank has facilitated setting up of "FINO Cross Link to Case Link Study" in 2006, as a company that would provide technology solutions and services to reach the underserved and underbanked population of the country. Using technologies like smart cards, biometrics and a basket of support services, FINO enables financial institutions to conceptualise, develop and operationalise projects to support sector initiatives in microfinance and livelihoods.
- Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India (EDII), was set up in 1983, by the erstwhile apex financial institutions like IDBI, ICICI, IFCI and SBI with the support of the Government of Gujarat as a national resource organisation committed to entrepreneurship development, education, training and research.
- Eastern Development Finance Corporation (NEDFI) was promoted by national level financial institutions like ICICI Ltd in 1995 at Guwahati, Assam for the development of industries, infrastructure, animal husbandry, agri-horticulture plantation, medicinal plants, sericulture, aquaculture, poultry and dairy in the North Eastern states of India.
- Following the enactment of the Securitisation Act in 2002, ICICI Bank, together with other institutions, set up Asset Reconstruction Company India Limited (ARCIL) in 2003. ARCIL was established to acquire non-performing assets (NPAs) from financial institutions and banks with a view to enhance the management of these assets and help in the maximisation of recovery.
- ICICI Bank has helped in setting up Credit Information Bureau of India Limited (CIBIL), India's first national credit bureau in 2000. CIBIL provides a repository of information (which contains the credit history of commercial and consumer borrowers) to its members in the form of credit information reports.
- ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Company Limited
- ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company Limited
- ICICI Prudential Asset Management Company Limited
- ICICI Prudential Trust Limited
- ICICI Securities Limited
- ICICI Securities Primary Dealership Limited
- ICICI Venture Funds Management Company Limited
- ICICI Home Finance Company Limited
- ICICI Investment Management Company Limited
- ICICI Trusteeship Services Limited
- ICICI Prudential Pension Funds Management Company Limited
- ICICI Bank USA
- ICICI Bank UK PLC
- ICICI Bank Canada
- ICICI Bank Germany
- ICICI Bank Eurasia Limited Liability Company
- ICICI Securities Holdings Inc.
- ICICI Securities Inc.
- ICICI International LImited.
Chanda Kochhar fraud caseEdit
In January 2019, based on a report by Justice Srikrishna, the bank board decided to ‘Termination for Cause’ for the former MD & CEO. It also become one of the first in the country to ask for claw back of bonuses and benefits
Inhumane debt recovery methodsEdit
A few years after its rise to prominence in the banking sector, ICICI bank faced allegations on the recovery methods it used against loan payment defaulters. A number of cases were filed against the bank and its employees for using "brutal measures" to recover the money. Most of the allegations were that the bank was using goons to recover the credit card payments and that these "recovery agents" exhibited inappropriate and in some cases, inhuman behavior. Incidents were reported wherein the defaulters were put to "public shame" by the recovery agents.
The bank also faced allegations of inappropriate behavior in recovering its loans. These allegations started initially when the "recovery agents" and bank employees started threatening the defaulters. In some cases, notes written by the bank's employees asking the defaulters to "sell everything in the house including family members", were found. Such charges faced by the bank rose to a peak when suicide cases were reported wherein the suicide notes spoke of the Bank's recovery methods as the cause of the suicide. This led to a lot of legal battles and the bank paying huge compensations.
Money laundering allegationsEdit
ICICI Bank was one of the leading Indian banks accused of blatant money laundering through violation of RBI guidelines in the famous CobraPost sting operation which shook up Indian banking industry during April–May 2013.
On 14 March 2013 the online magazine Cobrapost released video footage from Operation Red Spider showing high-ranking officials and some employees of ICICI Bank agreeing to convert black money into white, an act in violation of Money Laundering Control Act. The Government of India and Reserve Bank of India ordered an inquiry following the exposé. On 15 March 2013, ICICI Bank suspended 18 employees, pending inquiry. On 11 April 2013 Deputy Governor of RBI, H R Khan reportedly told that the central bank is initiating action against ICICI Bank in connection with allegations of money laundering.
Awards and Achievements of ICICIEdit
- ICICI Bank has been conferred the Euromoney Award 2007 for the Best Bank in the Asia-Pacific Region
- ICICI Bank wins the Excellence in Remittance Business award by The Asian Banker
- ICICI Bank was got the awards for 'Best Transaction Bank' in India, 'Best Domestic Bank' in India, 'Best follow-on offering'(US$4.94 billion), 'Best Investment Grade Bond'(US$2 billion, three-tranche bonds), Best Syndicated Loan Managers by Asset.
- ICICI Bank bags the "Best bank in SME financing (Private Sector)" at the Dun & Bradstreet Banking awards
- ICICI Bank won the Best Banking Security Systems Project Award and Best E-Banking Project Implementation Award by The Asian Banker.
- ICICI Bank is the only Indian brand to figure in the BrandZ Top 100 Most Valuable Global Brands Report, second year in a row
- ICICI Bank won the 'Best CRM Project' and 'Best Banking Security Systems' by The Asian Banker.
- Airtel, ICICI among 'top 100 global brands'
- ICICI Bank received the Golden Peacock Innovative Product / Service Award.
- ICICI Bank received the Dataquest Technology Innovation Awards 2012 for Data center migration by Dataquest.
- ICICI Bank was conferred the Best Performance Award for Self Help Group (SHG) Bank Linkage Programme in NABARD's State Level Awards announced by their Maharashtra Regional Office. The Bank received the first prize for the year 2010–11 in the Private Sector Bank category and 2nd runner up for the year 2011–12 in the Commercial Bank category.
- ICICI Bank has been adjudged winner at the Express IT Innovation Award under the Large Enterprise category
- ICICI Bank won the RMAI received the "Gram Samvad", Service for Low cost/Small budget marketing initiative Award by Rural Marketing Association of India (RMAI).
- ICICI bank won the 'Next Generation Banking solution' award by Celent.
- ICICI bank won the Best Domestic Trade Finance Bank and Best Financial Supply Chain Project Award in India by The Asian Banker
- ICICI Bank won the honours of the Medici Innovation Hall of Fame Award, instituted by The Medici Institute in collaboration with the Medici Group, USA.
- According to the Brand Trust Report 2014, ICICI Bank was ranked 28th among India's most trusted brands, a research conducted by Trust Research Advisory.
- ICICI Bank was ranked second at the 'National Energy Conservation Award 2014' under the office buildings (less than 10 lakh kWh/year consumption) category.
- ICICI Bank was fifth in the world and second in India on the 'Top Companies for Leaders' in a study conducted by Aon Hewitt.
- ICICI bank won the Best Private Sector Bank - Global Business Development by Polaris Financial Technology Banking Awards 2014.
- IDBRT awarded ICICI for 'Best Bank Award for Business Intelligence Initiatives among Large Banks' and 'Best Bank Award for Social Media and Mobile Banking Among Large Banks'. Companies in Corporate Governance in the 14th The Institute of Company Secretaries of India National Awards for Corporate Governance. They were honoured by Arun Jaitley.
- ICICI Bank has been honoured as The Best Service Provider - Risk Management, India at The Asset Triple A Transaction Banking, Treasury, Trade and Risk Management Awards 2014.
- ICICI Bank was awarded the 'Best Retail Bank in India', 'Best Microfinance Business' and 'Best Retail Banking Branch Innovation' under the 'Excellence in Retail Financial Services awards 2014' and Technology Implementation Award for Lending Platform Implementation by The Asian Banker.
- ICICI Bank won an award in the BFSI Leadership Summit & Awards in the 'Best Phone Banking for End-users' category
- ICICI Bank won in six categories and was the first runner-up in one category among Private Sector Banks at IBA Banking Technology Awards, 2015. The bank was declared winner in the six categories of Best Technology Bank of the Year, Best use of Data, Best Risk Management Initiatives, Best use of Technology in Training, Human Resources and e-Learning initiatives, Best Financial Inclusion Initiative and Best use of Digital and Channels Technology. ICICI Bank was the first runner-up in Best use of Technology to Enhance Customer Experience
- ICICI Bank has been declared as the first runner up at Outlook Money Awards 2015 in the category of ‘Best Bank’
- ICICI Bank has been adjudged the ‘Best Retail Bank in India’ by The Asian Banker. It has also emerged winners in the categories of ‘Best Internet Banking Initiative’ and ‘Best Customer Risk Management Initiative’ awards given by The Asian Banker.
- ‘Best Local Trade Finance Bank in India’ at Global Trade Review Asia Leaders in Trade Awards 2015.
- ‘Best Foreign Exchange Bank’ in India, at Finance Asia’s 2015 Country Banking Achievement Awards.
- ‘Best Private Sector Bank’ under ‘Global Business’ category at the Dun & Bradstreet Banking Awards 2015.
- ‘Best Website Design’ in Asia-Pacific at Global Finance 2015 World’s Best Digital Bank Awards.
- Winner at the National Energy Conservation Awards 2015 under the ‘Office Buildings’ category (energy consumption of over 1 million units per annum).
- First among private sector banks in The Economic Times Brand Equity’s Most Trusted Brands survey 2015.
- Runner up in the categories of ‘Immediate Payment Service’, ‘Cheque Truncation System’ and ‘National Financial Switch’ at the National Payments Excellence Awards 2015 organised by the National Payments Corporation of India. The Bank was also felicitated with a special award for issuing the largest number of RuPay Platinum cards.
- ‘Best Retail Bank in India’ at the Asian Banker International Excellence in Retail Financial Services Awards 2016. ICICI Bank has won this award three years in a row.
- Gold awards in the ‘Bank’ and ‘Credit card issuing Bank’ segments under Finance category in the Reader’s Digest Trusted Brand 2016 Survey.
- First in The Brand Trust Report, India Study 2016 by Trust Research Advisory under the ‘Banking Financial Services and Insurance’ category.
- Winner at the ‘Global Safety Awards 2016’ organised by the Energy and Environment Foundation. This award is sponsored by Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas and Ministry of Coal, Government of India.
- ICICI Bank received a citation at the fifth edition of The Financial Inclusion Agenda organised by CNBC-TV18 in the ‘Impactful Financial Inclusion Initiatives’ category
- ICICI Bank won two awards at The Asset Triple A Private Banking, Wealth Management, Investment and ETF Awards 2017. The Bank has won these awards in the ‘Derivatives House of the Year, India’ and ‘Best Structured Products House, India’ categories
- ICICI Bank recognised as the ‘Best Foreign Exchange Provider in India’, by Global Finance magazine as part of their list of ‘The World’s Best Foreign Exchange Providers 2017’
- ICICI Bank was declared winner in three categories at the BFSI Digital Innovation Awards 2017 organised by the Indian Express Group, on October 7, 2017. The Bank has won these awards in 'Data Centers’, 'Internet of Things (IoT)' and 'Storage' categories
- ICICI Bank won the Website of the Year - India award at the ABF Retail Banking Awards 2017. Asian Banking & Finance, a Singapore-based publication, organises these awards.
- ICICI Bank Contact Us Registered Office is Race Course Circle, Vadodara
- "ICICI Bank Annual Report" (PDF). Retrieved 29 April 2018.
- "PM Modi inaugurates ICICI Bank's first Chinese branch in Shanghai". Economic Times.
- "The Largest Banks in India". www.relbanks.com. Retrieved 11 November 2015.
- "PM Modi inaugurates ICICI Bank's first Chinese branch in Shanghai". Economic Times.
- "ICICI Bank enter South Africa, opens branch in Johannesburg". Zee News.
- "ICICI UK opens branch in Frankfurt". Sify.com. 29 February 2008. Retrieved 30 July 2011.
- "NOS on ICICI" (PDF). NOS org.
- "about ICICI". lloydstsb.
- "Page not found" (PDF). McKinsey & Company.
- "ICICI Bank". Economic Times.
- "Bank of Madura, ICICI Bank merger - a synergy for better service". Retrieved 25 May 2015.
- "ICICI Bank _NYSE". Mondovisione.
- "ICICI_ICICI Bank merger". Business Standard.
- "ICICI Financial Rumours". Indian Express.
- "ICICI Bank Ltd". Retrieved 22 May 2015.
- "Itc Classic To Merge Into Icici". 27 November 1997. Retrieved 22 May 2015.
- "Icici-Scici Merger Sets Trend For Consolidation". 26 December 1997. Retrieved 2 March 2019.
- "ICICI swallows Anagram Finance". 21 May 1998. Retrieved 22 May 2015.
- "Bank of Madura, ICICI Bank merger - a synergy for better service". Retrieved 22 May 2015.
- "Icici Bank To Pick Grindlays Shimla, Darjeeling Branches". 29 June 2002. Retrieved 22 May 2015.
- "ICICI Bk acquires Investitsionno-Kreditny". 19 May 2005. Retrieved 22 May 2015.
- "ICICI Bank, Sangli Bank agree on merger". 10 December 2006. Retrieved 22 May 2015.
- "NSE - National Stock Exchange of India Ltd". www.nseindia.com.
- "A global analytical company providing Ratings, Research, and Risk and Policy Advisory services". CRISIL. 30 June 2011. Retrieved 30 July 2011.
- "Commodity Market|Commodity Price|Futures|Trading|Bullion|Indian Commodity Exchange|Agri Commodity Price|Commodities". NCDEX. Retrieved 30 July 2011.
- "FINO". FINO. Retrieved 30 July 2011.
- "EDII". EDII.
- "North Eastern Development Finance Corporation Ltd". Nedfi.com. Retrieved 30 July 2011.
- "home". 22.214.171.124. 10 June 2010. Archived from the original on 20 January 2012. Retrieved 30 July 2011.
- "international_scenario". 126.96.36.199. 2 December 2009. Archived from the original on 20 January 2012. Retrieved 30 July 2011.
- "Welcome to CIBIL". Cibil.com. Retrieved 30 July 2011.
- "Products". ICICI Bank. Retrieved 12 September 2018.
- "Annual Reports - 2012". ICICI Bank.
- "Justice Srikrishna Report" (PDF).
- PTI (21 November 2007). "RBI warns ICICI Bank on recovery agents". Times of India. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- Sarang, Bindisha (7 January 2013). "How to deal with rising abuse of bank recovery agents". first post. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- "RBI response to Cobra Post Exposé".
- "Cobra Post Exposure of Indian Banks". The Times of India.
- "Money laundering case: ICICI bank suspends 18 employees". zee news. 15 March 2013. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- "Probes Begin as Top Indian Banks Are Embroiled in Sting Operation". Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- Ronamai, Raymond (15 March 2013). "India's Private Banks Under Scanner: Is RBI to be Blamed for Money Laundering?". International Business Times. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- PTI (12 April 2013). "Cobrapost expose: IRDA report likely next week". The Hindu. Chennai, India. Retrieved 18 April 2013.
- pti (11 April 2013). "Cobrapost expose: RBI initiating action against banks over money laundering allegations". DNA. Retrieved 18 April 2013.
- "ICICI Bank wins The Asian Banker Excellence in Retail Financial Services Program by Asian Banker". The Economic Times.
- "ICICI Bank best bank in India: Euromoney - Economic Times". economictimes.indiatimes.com. 14 September 2004. Retrieved 30 July 2011.
- "Bank of the Year 2006". The Banker magazine.
- "Euromoney Award for ICICI Bank". News.oneindia.in. 3 August 2007. Retrieved 30 July 2011.
- "ICICI Bank wins 'Excellence in Remittance Business' award - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 19 May 2008. Retrieved 30 July 2011.
- "The Asset Triple A Transaction Banking Awards 2007". The Asset.
- "The Asset Country Awards 2007". The Asset.
- "The Asset House and Deal Awards 2007". The Asset.
- Business Standard. "ICICI Bank wins the Dun & Bradstreet Banking Awards 2009". Business-standard.com. Retrieved 30 July 2011.
- "ICICI Bank bags 2 Awards in Asian Banker Awards 2009". The Asian Banker.
- "Asian Banker Awards 2010". The Asian Banker.
- "ICICI Bank only Indian firm in top 100 global brands list - Economic Times". Articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com. 9 May 2011. Retrieved 30 July 2011.
- "The Asian Banker Awards 2011". The Asian Manager.
- "Airtel, ICICI among 'top 100 global brands'". timesofindia.indiatimes.com.
- "Golden Peacock Innovative Product/Service Award (GPIPSA)". Golden Peacock Awards.
- "ICICI Bank Ltd.-History-2012". NDTV.
- "Express IT Awards Winners". Express IT Awards.
- "ICICI won RMAI Award". RMAI.
- "ICICI was chosen for 'Next Generation Banking solution' in Model Bank 2013 held by Celent". Celent.
- "Asian Banker awards 2013". The Asian Banker.
- "Asian Banker awards 2013". The Asian Banker.
- "ICICI is honoured the Medici Innovation Hall of Fame Award".
- "India's Most Trusted Brands 2014".
- "National Energy Conservation Awards 2014". Bee.
- "2014 Aon Hewitt Top Companies for Leaders Winners". Aon Hewitt.
- RAJUPENU (6 November 2018). "Indian Banks with Mobile Banking". www.taazatadka.com. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
- "ICSI National Awards 2014" (PDF). ICSI. p. 3.
- "Press Release 2014-The Excellence in Retail Financial Services Award Winners". The Asian Banker.
- "Asian Banker awards 2014". The Asian Banker.
- "Award Winners". eletsonline.
- "IBA Banking Technology Awards 2014-15" (PDF). iba.
- "ICICI Bank wins Best Retail Bank in India award for 2015" (PDF). asianbankerawards.