HDFC Bank Ltd. is an Indian banking and financial services company headquartered in Mumbai, Maharashtra. It has a base of 113,981 permanent employees as of 31 December 2019. HDFC Bank is India’s largest private sector lender by assets. It is the largest bank in India by market capitalisation as of February 2016. It was ranked 60th in 2019 BrandZ Top 100 Most Valuable Global Brands.
We understand your world
|Traded as||BSE: 500180|
BSE SENSEX Constituent
CNX Nifty Constituent
|Industry||Banking, financial services|
|Headquarters||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|India, Pakistan, UAE|
|Products||Credit cards, consumer banking, banking, finance and insurance, investment banking, mortgage loans, private banking, private equity, wealth management|
|Revenue||₹116,597 crore (US$16 billion) (2019)|
|₹23,263 crore (US$3.3 billion) (2019)|
|₹21,078 crore (US$3.0 billion) (2019)|
|Total assets||₹1,189,432 crore (US$170 billion) (2019)|
Number of employees
|104,154 (June 30, 2019)|
HDFC Bank was incorporated in 1994, with its registered office in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. Its first corporate office and a full service branch at Sandoz House, Worli were inaugurated by the then Union Finance Minister, Manmohan Singh.
As of June 30, 2019, the Bank's distribution network was at 5500 branches across 2,764 cities. The bank also installed 4.30 Lakhs POS terminals and issued 235.7 Lakhs debit cards and 1.2 crores credit cards in FY 2017.
Products and serviceEdit
HDFC Bank provides a number of products and services including wholesale banking, retail banking, treasury, auto loans, two wheeler loans, personal loans, loans against property, consumer durable loan, lifestyle loan and credit cards. Along with this various digital products are Payzapp and SmartBUY.
The equity shares of HDFC Bank are listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange and the National Stock Exchange of India. Its American Depository Shares are listed on NYSE and the global depository receipt are listed on the Luxembourg Stock Exchange where two GDRs represent one equity share of HDFC Bank
|Shareholders (as of 31 December 2015)||Shareholding|
|Promoter group (HDFC)||21.57%|
|Foreign institutional investors (FII)||32.4%|
On Jan 29, 2020 Reserve Bank of India imposes monetary penalty on HDFC Bank Limited for failure to undertake on-going due diligence in case of 39 current accounts opened for bidding in initial public offer. 
There are also known instances of users reporting signature forgery and replacement of application documents by HDFC employees.
A HDFC bank manager arrested for Rs 59.41 lakh fraud in Odisha 
Altico Capital and Dubai’s Mashreq Bank have approached the Reserve Bank of India, accusing HDFC BankNSE -1.82% of violating regulatory provisions by debiting part of the funds the company had raised through external commercial borrowing (ECB) and parked at the Indian bank. The local bank’s decision to transfer money from account may be a violation of the RBI's end-use rule, they said.
Awards and recognitionEdit
- Best Bank: New Private Sector - FE Best Bank awards 
- Winner in Innovation and Inclusiveness in Priority Sector Lending - 11tg Inclusive Finance India Awards (IFI) 2019 
- Ranked 1st in 2019 BrandZ Top 75 Most Valuable Indian Brands HDFC Bank was featured for the 6th consecutive year.
- Among The Most Honored Company List, Institutional Investor All-Asia (ex-Japan) Executive Team 2019 survey
- India’s Best Bank, Euromoney Awards for Excellence 2019
- Bank of the Year and Best Large Bank, Business Today – Money Today Financial Awards 2019
- Best Bank in India 2019, by Global magazine FinanceAsia.
- Ranked 60th in 2019 BrandZ Top 100 Most Valuable Global Brands HDFC Bank was featured BrandZ Top 100 Most Valuable Global Brands 2019 for the 5th consecutive year. The Bank's brand value has gone up from $20.87 billion in 2018 to $22.70 billion in 2019.
- Best Large Bank & Fastest Growing Large Bank in 2019, by Business World Magna Awards
- Best Banking Performer, India in 2016 by Global Brands Magazine Award.
- Best Performing Branch in Microfinance among private sector banks by NABARD, 2016, Award for Best Performance in Microfinance
- KPMG study of India's Best Banks, Bank of the year & best digital banking initiative award 2016
- BrandZ Rankings, Most Valued brand in India for third successive year
- FinanceAsia poll on Asia's Best Companies 2015, Best managed public company - India
- J. P. Morgan Quality Recognition Award, Best in class straight through processing rates
- "board of directors".
- "HDFC Bank Senior Management". HDFC Bank Limited. 8 November 2016. Retrieved 8 November 2016.
- "RBI extended Mr.Puri's term". livemint. 30 October 2018. Retrieved 25 December 2018.
- "Balance Sheet of HDFC Bank". moneycontrol.
- "HDFC Bank 2017". Retrieved 1 December 2017.
- "HDFC Bank 2017" (PDF). Retrieved 1 December 2017.
- "FINANCIAL RESULTS (INDIAN GAAP) FOR THE QUARTER AND YEAR ENDED MARCH 31, 2019" (PDF). HDFC Bank Ltd.
- "HDFC Bank". HDFC Bank. HDFC Bank.
- "HDFC Bank most valuable brand in India: WPP study". Livemint. Livemint. 10 September 2015.
- "Largest bank by Market capitalization". MoneyControl. MoneyControl.
- "Millward Brown - Top Global Brands 2019". hdfcbank.com.
- "HDFC Bank – About Banking Services, Loans Scheme, Award, Contact Address, and more". business.mapsofindia.com. Retrieved 16 July 2016.
- "HDFC Bank: Reports, Company History, Directors Report, Chairman's Speech, Auditors Report of HDFC Bank - NDTVProfit.com". profit.ndtv.com. Retrieved 16 July 2016.
- "HDFC Bank to acquire Centurion Bank of Punjab". Banknet India.
- "RBI imposes penalty on HDFC bank". rbi.org.in. Retrieved 29 January 2020.
- "HDFC Bank forged my signature and changed application form". sandeephegde.com. Retrieved 19 November 2019.
- "A HDFC bank manager arrested for Rs 59.41 lakh fraud in Odisha". newindianexpress.com. Retrieved 16 August 2019.
- "Altico and Mashreq approach RBI against HDFC Bank". economictimes.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 13 October 2019.
- "Business Today – Money Today Financial Awards 2019" (PDF).
- "HDFC Bank bags the 'Best Bank in India' title by FinanceAsia magazine - expect this big measures in 2019 from the lender". Zee Business. 28 June 2019. Retrieved 28 June 2019.
- "Business world Magna Awards" (PDF).
- Global Brands Magazine Award 2016 winners
- "HDFC Bank wins microfinance award from NABARD in Goa". Times of India. 22 January 2016. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- "Bank of the Year/ Digital Bank: HDFC BANK". Business Today. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- "livemint". HDFC Bank is still India’s most valuable brand: Brandz ranking. 22 September 2016.
- "Asia's best managed companies, part 3". FinanceAsia. 20 March 2015.
- "Top 10 Banks in India 2015". MBA Skool.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to HDFC Bank.|
- Official website
- Business data for HDFC Bank: