List of banks in India
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Banks in India are classified into four categories -
|Banks in India|
|Commercial Bank||Small Finance Bank||Payments Bank||Co-operative Bank|
|Public Sector||Urban Co-op.|
|Private Sector||Rural Co-op.|
|Regional Rural Bank|
- Public Sector Banks (PSBs) are a major type of bank in India, where a majority stake (i.e. more than 50%) is held by the government.
- In April 2019, Vijaya Bank and Dena Bank were merged with Bank of Baroda.
- On 30 August 2019, Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitaraman announced merger of six public sector banks (PSBs) with four better performing anchor banks in order to streamline their operation and size, two banks were amalgamated to strengthen national presence and four were amalgamated to strengthen regional focuses. Subsequently, the number of public sector bank has been reduced to 12 from 27. This new amalgamation came effective from 1 April 2020.
List of Public-Sector Banks in India as of 1 April 2020:
|Merged Banks||Branches||Established||Headquarter||Total Assets||Revenues||Refs|
|Bank of Baroda||63.74%||9,481||1908||Vadodara, Gujarat||₹16,130 billion (US$230 billion)||₹422 billion (US$5.9 billion)|||
|Bank of India||87.054%||5,000||1906||Mumbai, Maharashtra||₹9,030 billion (US$130 billion)||₹418 billion (US$5.9 billion)|||
|Bank of Maharashtra||87.01%||1,897||1935||Pune, Maharashtra||₹2,340 billion (US$33 billion)||₹130.53 billion (US$1.8 billion)|
|Canara Bank||72.55%||10,342||1906||Bengaluru, Karnataka||₹15,203 billion (US$210 billion)||₹558.30 billion (US$7.8 billion)|||
|Central Bank of India||88.02%||4,666||1911||Mumbai, Maharashtra||₹4,680 billion (US$66 billion)||₹259 billion (US$3.6 billion)|
|Indian Bank||81.73%||6,104||1907||Chennai, Tamil Nadu||₹8,080 billion (US$110 billion)||₹405.74 billion (US$5.7 billion)|||
|Indian Overseas Bank||91%||3,400||1937||Chennai, Tamil Nadu||₹3,750 billion (US$53 billion)||₹235.2 billion (US$3.3 billion)|||
|Punjab and Sind Bank||79.62%||1,554||1908||New Delhi, Delhi||₹1,710 billion (US$24 billion)||₹87.44 billion (US$1.2 billion)|
|Punjab National Bank||70.22%||11,437||1894||New Delhi, Delhi||₹17,940 billion (US$250 billion)||₹774.22 billion (US$11 billion)|||
|State Bank of India||61%||24,000||1955||Mumbai, Maharashtra||₹52,050 billion (US$730 billion)||₹2,110.00 billion (US$30 billion)|||
|UCO Bank||93.29%||4,000||1943||Kolkata, West Bengal||₹3,170 billion (US$44 billion)||₹185.61 billion (US$2.6 billion)|||
|Union Bank of India||67.43%||9,609||1919||Mumbai, Maharashtra||₹14,594 billion (US$200 billion)||₹696.39 billion (US$9.8 billion)|||
List of Private Banks: At present, there are 22 private banks in India as of 1 April 2020.
|Bank Name||Est.||Headquarters||Branches||Revenues||Total Assets||Ref|
|Axis Bank||1993||Mumbai, Maharashtra||4,800||₹414.093 billion (US$5.8 billion)||₹10,600 billion (US$150 billion)|
|Bandhan Bank||2015||Kolkata, West Bengal||1,000||₹43.20 billion (US$610 million)||₹302.36 billion (US$4.2 billion)|
|Catholic Syrian Bank||1920||Thrissur, Kerala||426||₹16.17 billion (US$230 million)||₹162.2324 billion (US$2.3 billion)|
|City Union Bank||1904||Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu||600||₹29.4421 billion (US$410 million)||₹352.71 billion (US$4.9 billion)|
|DCB Bank||1930||Mumbai, Maharashtra||323||₹20.76 billion (US$290 million)||₹240.46 billion (US$3.4 billion)|
|Dhanlaxmi Bank||1927||Thrissur, Kerala||269||₹11.16 billion (US$160 million)||₹122.86 billion (US$1.7 billion)|
|Federal Bank||1931||Kochi, Kerala||1,252||₹97.5920 billion (US$1.4 billion)||₹1,149.8 billion (US$16 billion)|
|HDFC Bank||1994||Mumbai, Maharashtra||4,787||₹816.02 billion (US$11 billion)||₹8,638 billion (US$120 billion)|
|ICICI Bank||1994||Mumbai, Maharashtra||4,882||₹736.60 billion (US$10 billion)||₹12,720 billion (US$180 billion)|||
|IDBI Bank||1964||Mumbai, Maharashtra||1,892||₹253.71 billion (US$3.6 billion)||₹3,144.57 billion (US$44 billion)|||
|IDFC First Bank||2015||Mumbai, Maharashtra||301||₹85.327 billion (US$1.2 billion)||₹1,121.6 billion (US$16 billion)|
|IndusInd Bank||1994||Mumbai, Maharashtra||1,004||₹185.77 billion (US$2.6 billion)||₹1,786 billion (US$25 billion)|
|Jammu & Kashmir Bank||1938||Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir||958||₹71.66 billion (US$1.0 billion)||₹820.18 billion (US$11 billion)|
|Karnataka Bank||1924||Mangaluru, Karnataka||835||₹51.85 billion (US$730 million)||₹641.26 billion (US$9.0 billion)|
|Karur Vysya Bank||1916||Karur, Tamil Nadu||668||₹54.43 billion (US$760 million)||₹576.63 billion (US$8.1 billion)|
|Kotak Mahindra Bank||2003||Mumbai, Maharashtra||1,369||₹211.76 billion (US$3.0 billion)||₹2,146 billion (US$30 billion)|
|Lakshmi Vilas Bank||1926||Karur, Tamil Nadu||570||₹25.68 billion (US$360 million)||₹287.32 billion (US$4.0 billion)|
|Nainital Bank||1922||Nainital, Uttarakhand||135||₹6.12 billion (US$86 million)||₹7.7 billion (US$110 million)|
|RBL Bank||1943||Mumbai, Maharashtra||342||₹44.68 billion (US$630 million)||₹486.74 billion (US$6.8 billion)|
|South Indian Bank||1929||Thrissur, Kerala||852||₹65.62 billion (US$920 million)||₹743.12 billion (US$10 billion)|
|Tamilnad Mercantile Bank||1921||Thoothukudi, Tamil Nadu||509||₹38.11 billion (US$530 million)||₹322.4 billion (US$4.5 billion)|
|Yes Bank||2004||Mumbai, Maharashtra||1,050||₹3.6 billion (US$50 million)||₹2,150 billion (US$30 billion)|
Regional Rural Banks (RRBs)Edit
List of Regional Rural Bank: At present, there are 43 RRBs in India as of 1 April 2020.
Foreign banks with branchesEdit
List of notable banks which are incorporated outside India and are operating branches in India:
- AB Bank
- Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank
- American Express
- Australia and New Zealand Banking Group
- Barclays Bank Plc
- Bank of America
- Bank of Bahrain and Kuwait
- Bank of Ceylon
- Bank of China
- Bank of Nova Scotia
- BNP Paribas
- Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank
- Credit Suisse
- CTBC Bank
- DBS Bank
- Deutsche Bank
- Emirates NBD
- First Abu Dhabi Bank
- FirstRand Bank
- Industrial & Commercial Bank of China
- Industrial Bank of Korea
- JPMorgan Chase
- KEB Hana Bank
- Kookmin Bank
- Krung Thai Bank
- Mizuho Corporate Bank
- MUFG Bank
- Qatar National Bank
- Shinhan Bank
- Societe Generale
- Sonali Bank
- Standard Chartered Bank
- Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
- United Overseas Bank
- Westpac Banking Corporation
- Woori Bank
Foreign banks with representative officesEdit
List of notable foreign banks with representative offices in India:
- Access Bank
- Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria
- Banco BPM
- Banco de Sabadell
- Bank of Montreal
- Bank of Taiwan
- Busan Bank
- Caixa Geral de Depositos
- Credit Industriel et Commercial
- DNB Bank
- DZ Bank
- Intesa Sanpaolo
- National Australia Bank
- Raiffeisen Bank International
- Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken
- The Bank of New York Mellon
- Toronto Dominion Bank
- UBS AG
- Wells Fargo Bank
- Zurcher Kantonalbank
Small finance banksEdit
|Bank Name||Established||Headquarters||Branches||Revenues||Total Assets||Ref|
|Ujjivan Small Finance Bank||2017||Bangalore||464||₹9,473 crore (US$1.3 billion)|
|Jana Small Finance Bank||2018||Bangalore|||
|Equitas Small Finance Bank||2016||Chennai||412||₹31.35 crores (US$5 million)||₹1,787.41 crores (US$274 million)|
|AU Small Finance Bank||2017||Jaipur||396||₹292 crore (US$41 million)||₹2,155.25 crore (US$300 million)|
|Capital Small Finance Bank||2016||Jalandhar|||
|Fincare Small Finance Bank||2017||Bangalore|||
|ESAF Small Finance Bank||2017||Thrissur||400||₹475 crore (US$67 million)|||
|North East Small Finance Bank||2017||Guwahati|||
|Suryoday Small Finance Bank||2017||Navi Mumbai|||
|Bank Name||Established||Headquarters||Revenues||Total Assets||Ref|
|Airtel Payments Bank||2017||New Delhi, Delhi|||
|India Post Payments Bank||2018||New Delhi, Delhi|||
|Jio Payments Bank||2018||Mumbai, Maharashtra|
|Paytm Payments Bank||2017||Noida, Uttar Pradesh|
|NSDL Payments Bank||2018||Mumbai, Maharashtra|
|Fino Payment Bank||2017||
State Co-operative Banks (SCBs)Edit
List of State Co-operative Banks:
- Andaman and Nicobar State Co-operative Bank Ltd.
- The Andhra Pradesh State Co-operative Bank Ltd.
- Arunachal Pradesh State Co-operative Apex Bank
- The Assam Co-operative Apex Bank Ltd.
- The Bihar State Co-operative Bank Ltd.
- The Chandigarh State Co-operative Bank Limited
- Chhattisgarh State Co-operative Bank Limited
- Delhi State Co-operative Bank
- The Goa State Co-operative Bank Ltd.
- The Gujarat State Co-operative Bank Ltd.
- The Haryana State Co-operative Apex Bank Ltd.
- The Himachal Pradesh State Co-operative Bank Ltd.
- The Jammu and Kashmir State Co-operative Bank Ltd.
- The Jharkhand State Co-operative Bank Ltd.
- The Karnataka State Co-operative Apex Bank Ltd.
- The Kerala State Co-operative Bank Ltd.
- Madhya Pradesh Rajya Sahakari Bank Maryadit
- The Maharashtra State Co-operative Bank Ltd.
- The Manipur State Co-operative Bank Ltd.
- Meghalaya Co-operative Apex Bank
- Mizoram Co-operative Apex Bank
- Nagaland State Co-operative Bank
- Orissa State Co-Operative Bank
- Pondichery State Co-operative Bank
- Punjab State Co-operative Bank
- Rajasthan State Co-operative Bank
- Sikkim State Co-operative Bank
- Tamil Nadu State Apex Co-operative Bank
- Telangana State Co-Operative Apex Bank Limited
- Tripura State Co-operative Bank
- Uttar Pradesh Co-operative Bank
- Uttarakhand State Co-operative Bank
- West Bengal State Co-operative Bank
Urban Co-operative Banks (UCBs)Edit
List of scheduled and unscheduled Urban Co-operative Banks:
- Ahmedabad Mercantile Co-Op Bank Ltd
- Kalupur Commercial Co-Op Bank Ltd
- The Mehsana Urban Co-Op Bank Ltd
- Nutan Nagarik Sahakari Bank Ltd
- Rajkot Nagrik Sahakari Bank Ltd
- Sardar Bhiladwala Pardi People's Co-Op. Bank Ltd
- Surat Peoples Coop Bank Ltd
- Amanath Co-operative Bank Ltd Bangalore
- Andhra Pradesh Mahesh Co-Op Urban Bank Ltd
- Indian Mercantile Co-operative Bank Ltd
- Abhyudaya Co-operative Bank Ltd
- Apna Sahakari Bank Ltd
- Bassein Catholic Co-operative Bank Ltd
- Bharat Co-operative Bank (Mumbai) Ltd
- Bharati Sahakari Bank Limited.
- Bombay Mercantile Co-operative Bank Limited MUMBAI
- Citizen Credit Co-operative Bank Ltd. Mumbai
- Cosmos Bank
- Dombivli Nagari Sahakari Bank Ltd.
- Gopinath Patil Parsik Janata Sahakari Bank Ltd
- Greater Bombay Co-operative Bank Limited MUMBAI
- GS Mahanagar Co-operative Bank Ltd. Mumbai
- Jalgaon Janata Sahakari Bank Ltd.
- Jalgaon People's Co-operative Bank Ltd.
- Janakalyan Sahakari Bank Ltd Mumbai
- Janalaxmi Co-operative Bank Ltd. Nashik
- Janata Sahakari Bank Ltd. Pune
- Kallappanna Awade Ichalkaranji Janata Sahakari Bank Ltd
- Kalyan Janata Sahakari Bank Ltd
- Kapol Co-operative Bank Ltd., Mumbai
- Karad Urban Co-operative Bank Ltd.
- Nagar Urban Co-operative Bank Ltd., Ahmednagar
- Nasik Merchant's Co-operative Bank Ltd.
- New India Co-operative Bank Ltd. Mumbai
- NKGSB Co-operative Bank Ltd. Mumbai
- Pravara Sahakari Bank Ltd.
- Punjab and Maharashtra Co-operative Bank
- Rajarambapu Sahakari Bank Ltd
- Rupee Co-operative Bank Ltd Pune
- Sangli Urban Co-operative Bank Ltd
- Saraswat Bank
- Shamrao Vithal Co-operative Bank
- Solapur Janata Sahakari Bank Ltd
- Thane Bharat Sahakari Bank Ltd
- TJSB Sahakari Bank
- The Jaynagar Majilpur People's Co-Operative Bank Ltd.
- Vasai Vikas Sahakari Bank Ltd.
- Zoroastrian Co-operative Bank Ltd Mumbai
- Nagpur Nagrik Sahakari Bank Ltd
- Shikshak Sahakari Bank Ltd. Nagpur
- The Akola Janata Commercial Co-operative Bank Ltd. Akola
- The Akola Urban Co-operative Bank Ltd. Akola
- The Khamgaon Urban Co-operative Bank Ltd
- Goa Urban Co-operative Bank Limited.
- Mapusa Urban Co-operative Bank of Goa Ltd
Local area banksEdit
Local area banks are non scheduled banks and they were set up with the twin objectives of providing an institutional mechanism for promoting rural and semi urban savings and for providing credit for viable economic activities in the local areas. They were established as public limited companies in the private sector. They are promoted either by individuals, corporate, trusts or societies. The minimum paid up capital of such banks is ₹5 crores. The promoter's contribution should be at least ₹2 crores. Local area banks can operate and open their branches in a maximum of three geographically contiguous districts. They are governed by the provisions of Reserve Bank of India act 1934, Banking Regulation act 1949 and other relevant statutes. They are to be registered as public limited companies under the Indian companies act 1956. Since they are non scheduled banks, they cannot borrow funds from Reserve Bank of India like other scheduled commercial banks.
- "Dena Bank, Vijaya Bank merges with Bank of Baroda". Livemint. 1 April 2019.
- "Modi govt's mega bank merger drive: Now there will be only 12 PSU banks". India Today. 30 August 2019.
- "Big bank mergers: Government turns ten PSBs into four". Economic Times. 30 August 2019.
- "Merged entity of UBI, PNB, OBC to become operational from 1 April next year". Livemint. 30 August 2019.
- "Offices & Branches". Bank of Baroda. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- India, Press Trust of (1 November 2019). "Bank of India posts Rs 266 crore profit in Q2, eyes 10% growth in FY20". Business Standard India. Retrieved 22 November 2019.
- "PNB to be 2nd largest PSB post merger, Canara fourth, UBI fifth, Allahabad 7th". Economic Times. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Indian Overseas Bank". Business Standard India. Retrieved 26 February 2020.
- "Five associate banks, BMB merge with SBI". The Hindu. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Efforts of banks under PCA framework are being monitored: RBI Governor". The Economic Times. 22 February 2020.
- "ICICI Bank- About Us". ICICI Bank.
- Re-categorization of IDBI Bank Ltd. as a Private Sector Bank: https://www.idbibank.in/idbi-bank-history.asp
- "Jana Small Finance Bank commences operations to continue its focus on financial inclusion". The Times of India. 2 April 2018. Retrieved 16 August 2018.
- "Capital Small Finance Bank Ltd. commences Operations". Reserve Bank of India. 27 April 2016. Retrieved 16 August 2018.
- "Fincare Small Finance Bank commences banking operations, ready to usher an era of 'Rurban' banking". BW Education. 26 July 2017. Retrieved 16 August 2018.
- "ESAF SFB fulfils banking dreams of commom man". Passline Business Magazine. 4 August 2017. Retrieved 14 December 2018.
- "North East Small Finance Bank starts operations: RBI". The Economic Times. 17 October 2017. Retrieved 16 August 2018.
- "Suryoday, Utkarsh small finance banks commence operations". Business Standard India. 23 January 2017. Retrieved 16 August 2018.
- "Airtel launches India's first payments bank". Livemint. 23 November 2016. Retrieved 29 April 2020.
- "Prime Minister launches India Post Payments Bank". The Hindu. 1 September 2018. Retrieved 29 April 2020.